Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (AncientCityCustoms)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-19-2017, 7:15 AM Reply   
New to the forums, been riding for a while. Really just like being on the water in general but over the past two seasons I have focused on trying to become a better rider and learning tricks.

Right now I have a HS FS 180 wake to wake down but the 360 I cant seem to figure out. Always seem to be 'off balance' while rotating.

Boat Setup: 16' LSV No wedge, stock ballast filled, 20 mph, two people in boat
Board Setup: 139 Watson, 23" stance 12 degrees

Heres a video of my latest attempt:
https://youtu.be/7FQAvIjKpbk

Good or bad feedback is always welcome, just trying to improve. I am also working on my toe side wake to wake jump, i will post a video after this weekend. I seem to always come up a foot short.

Thanks,

Ronnie
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-19-2017, 10:55 AM Reply   
Wait longer before you initiate the spin. You're doing it right off the wake and it's throwing your axis off. You need to be at the peak of your jump with your body nice and straight.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       07-19-2017, 11:38 AM Reply   
What length are you riding at? Totally looks like you had it and would ride out but you just clip the top of second wake. Have you tried slowing down to maybe 1/2 mph and going 5' shorter just to get it figured out.
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-19-2017, 11:59 AM Reply   
you would have landed it if it wasn't for that damn jet skiier!!
Do a couple surface 3s. that will help with the feeling of passing the handle.
Old     (AncientCityCustoms)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-19-2017, 12:25 PM Reply   
Right now riding at 70Ft. I will give 65ft and around 19mph a go tomorrow evening. But that makes sense about being off axis, i'm starting to spin when I'm going up and not leveled out.

I know right, the dude almost nailed me since he didnt see me go down and came back around to 'jump' the wake again. But luckily enough it was super glassy first thing in the morning that day so it was well worth it.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       07-19-2017, 6:21 PM Reply   
You might want to go down to 60' at that speed.
Old     (AncientCityCustoms)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-20-2017, 5:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagar55 View Post
You might want to go down to 60' at that speed.
Sweet thanks for the tip. I struggle with what speed to run the boat at with the length of the rope. I just read somewhere on the forums about the white wash being about a foot or so behind where you are riding at. I'll try to pay more attention to that today.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-20-2017, 6:00 AM Reply   
also looks like your arms are extended out to far. Pull them in by your sides (what we call "alligator arms"). As you come off the wake into the air, pull the handle to your hip and reach for the pass. It takes time for sure...
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       07-23-2017, 4:02 PM Reply   
Great advice across the board. Practice some surface 360's then shorten the rope, take a slightly less aggressive approach, pull pop pass!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-25-2017, 7:16 PM Reply   
Keep looking for the landing, you start the rotation alright but it really slows down, when I slow down and focus on your head movement your head is behind the rotation, lead with your eyes.
Old     (AncientCityCustoms)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-04-2017, 7:05 AM Reply   
I didnt get any videos from the past weekend but i feel the progression of the 360 coming. I was almost over rotating on some attempts and caught some serious front side edges. Ribs are still sore and i think my brain cell count is down quite a bit (at least whats left). Towards the end i wasn't committing and gave up for the weekend as i was just taking nasty falls. I have to go pro charged and will post new videos from this weekend hopefully monday and maybe some progression can be seen.

Thank you guys for all the advise, they really help out since I am the only one who wakeboards on the boat.

Last edited by AncientCityCustoms; 08-04-2017 at 7:06 AM. Reason: misstake
Old     (AncientCityCustoms)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-04-2017, 7:11 AM Reply   
double post

Last edited by AncientCityCustoms; 08-04-2017 at 7:11 AM. Reason: double post
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-04-2017, 7:12 AM Reply   
You have the trick! Shorten your rope length by 5' stay at 20 mph but practice a few very up and down poppy wake jumps before. It helps if you pop straight up and don't have so much sidewayz energy. Your handle pull looks almost there and you are waiting until around the peak of your jump which is great. I would pull with two hands. If you pause it you can see you are pulling with one. Also think about popping a bit towards the boat. In terms of your head try not to look down. That is what's throwing you off-axis a bit. If you try to go straight up and down poppy pull with both hands at the top of your wake jump and look around with your chin up pass the handle and you got it.
Old     (AncientCityCustoms)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-06-2017, 11:21 AM Reply   
I LANDED IT TODAY! Thank you guys so much for the tips. I didn't get any video since my phone went into the 'to hot mode' towards the end of the day but I landed one wake to wake 360. Boy did it feel great! I will try to take the go pro out next weekend and have some footage. The advise was well needed and appreciated!!!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       08-06-2017, 3:21 PM Reply   
Awesome! Congratulations! It's such a fun trick
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2017, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Wait longer before you initiate the spin. You're doing it right off the wake and it's throwing your axis off. You need to be at the peak of your jump with your body nice and straight.
He's starting the spin late after he pops. Pause the video after he leaves the wake..

In my opinion the problem is he's not turning his head to look into the spin. He's half way across the wake and still looking in the direction he's traveling. This is why the spin is happening so slow.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-16-2017, 8:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
He's starting the spin late after he pops. Pause the video after he leaves the wake..

In my opinion the problem is he's not turning his head to look into the spin. He's half way across the wake and still looking in the direction he's traveling. This is why the spin is happening so slow.
Its moot because he's further along now, but for the sake of point this out to future people learning this trick, I'd like to continue the discussion:

See, right off the wake he's already off the handle and initiating the spin. Initiating the spin here almost guarantees that he will be off-axis when it comes around and that there will be too much line tension to spin quicly and smoothly. IMO, you shouldn't be doing ANYTHING until the peak of the jump is reached.

Feel free to discuss. My way is not always the best way.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-03-2017, 5:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Its moot because he's further along now, but for the sake of point this out to future people learning this trick, I'd like to continue the discussion:

See, right off the wake he's already off the handle and initiating the spin. Initiating the spin here almost guarantees that he will be off-axis when it comes around and that there will be too much line tension to spin quicly and smoothly. IMO, you shouldn't be doing ANYTHING until the peak of the jump is reached.

Feel free to discuss. My way is not always the best way.
I kind of disagree with you both. Initiating later than this can force a rushed spin, and you may not be able to pull the slack out, initiating earlier will lead to some OA 360 to face. However, Tom is correct on OPs handle position.

In the video he provided he's not holding two hands long enough, causing him to let his handle drift away from him, pulling him off axis and not being able to stick it. Initiating this spin with both hands is crucial to landing it.

He and I spin the same speed relative to the hang time, but note that on my HSFS 3 I am still holding on well with 2 hands where he has already reached for the pass in photo one below. This sets me up for a nice tight handle in photo two below. I am also waiting to pass it at the peak for a nice slow landing, rather than initiating it there which is shown in photo 3. Hope that helps.
Attached Images