Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       08-05-2014, 7:42 PM Reply   
Been trying to take a lot of new people out wakeboarding this summer. I has been a great summer and have got everyone up at least for a 200 ft. I have seen a ton of big smiles and some great crashes.
It does bother me though how some people treat your new 90 k boat and equipment. These are the things I have come across

I had to argue with one guy on why he had to take his shoes off to come in the boat.
One guy decided to sneak coffee on board and of course spilled it.
One guy I took let use my board. Which is fine. He keeps wanting to go and I have suggested he buy a board , I keep saying his feet are too big for my boots (now they are ripping). He then decided that he is pro and stood and slid off the platform because he thought he is cool. Now I have a nice scratch in it. Just put your but on the platform and slide in that way. I mean you are 35 yrs old man what makes you think this is a good idea?
One guy walked in my house and sat on my couch and asked me too pull him and his buddy. I said sure but you need to get me a jerry. Give him a pull and they bring there 10 yrs kids in the boat. I said am I pulling you guys or the kids I only have a hour. You are pulling us. I still made time to pull the kids tubing, not sure what planet these parents lived on. They stiffed me on the Jerry

Sorry long rant , if any newbies read this now you know some things that bother boat owners.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-05-2014, 7:58 PM Reply   
Just have to be firm with people. Needless to say, I don't take as many people on the lake anymore since everyone tries to mooch.
It amazes me how some people don't respect someone's boat. I had a girl try to get on my boat while her ankle was bleeding. Also had two other girls start doing their makeup in the bow and another laid on the back with tanning oil on and got it all over. Come on ladies :P
I've given up on telling everyone to not slide off the platform. Also, I keep an old board with bindings for those who don't own one. If they don't fit in it, they can surf.

Sometimes you have to be harsh to get the point across so people don't ruin your stuff. Protect your baby!
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       08-05-2014, 8:54 PM Reply   
Explain the rules before they come out No red pop,No orange snacks unless its carrots . My boats are in mint condition because I demand good behavior if they don't like my rules go on somebody elses boat.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-05-2014, 10:52 PM Reply   
I agree with froggy, got to explain the rules before getting in the boat. You can't follow them, then buy your own boat.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-06-2014, 3:51 AM Reply   
You have to be stern, even if it reflects negatively on you. I almost threw a girls shoes in the water last year. After that she got the point. Also hate it when I ask people to towel off on the platform, and they reply " who cares, it's a boat"
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-06-2014, 4:22 AM Reply   
Joys of boat ownership and new people. People look at me insane when I ask people to eat their sandwiches on the back of the boat or take their shoes off. I may not have a 120k boat but people would have a serious problem if I spilled coffee all over their 50k car.

If I hear "but they are boat shoes" one more time I'm gonna lose my chit. This isn't an offshore fishing boat. Generally I've found being suggestive works. We stop on the way in for gas/drinks. Gives people a chance to see me put 40 gallons in the boat. We also have a couple we ride with almost weekly who get all of the rules. They've had boats and help "suggest" to the other people to give gas money, to take off shoes, etc.

My biggest gripe as of late is dropping deuces. I wake up in the morning and drop the kids off at the pool. You can either follow suit or crap in the woods. It is not my job to drive you to the dock because you are afraid to chit in the woods. I mean good God! We had a 220lb man crying like a little girl 2 weeks ago that wanted to get dropped off at the dock so he could drive to the gas station and come back because he had beer craps.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2014, 4:28 AM Reply   
-Rules are explained at the dock as we bull **** and load the boat, If you dont like my rules then you can drive back home.
-Always keep a throw down board on the boat for the people who dont have a board
-My boat runs on gas not THANK YOU, i explain that very clearly
-Dry off on the platform, then step up on the rear deck and dry off the feet.
-Dry board off before getting it in the boat and putting in on the rack
-No spilling **** in my boat or you WILL pay the bill on a detail and carpet cleaning to have it fixed
-No TANNING OIL, dont spray sunblock everywhere. Stand on the platform and spray it. **** ****s the windows up bad.
-AND YOU ARE NOT TOO DRUNK, TIRED, KIDS, DINNER PLANS TO HELP CLEAN THE BOAT. Its not a 20 min job cleaning a boat.

Im all for a good time and do have a great time, just repsect my **** as i would respect yours. Take your shoes and put them in the shoe cubby under the back seat.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-06-2014, 4:30 AM Reply   
I have no shoes rule as well. I used to loan my board but it does tear it up. So I got myself a new board and bindings, and now my old board is the loaner board. If folks don't like it they can get their own. If someone is a guest and comes once a year then no charge for gas. But all my regulars pay $5/run for gas money.

It has worked out. Basically what has happened is that when I first got the boat and needed riders I had to be more lenient. But now that I have more friends on my crew then I can accommodate I can be pickier on the rules and loaning equipment.

I usually get help from someone to wipe off the vinyl when we are done. It is a pretty good crew now a days.

I personally have less issues with the above posts and rules and gas money. My biggest challenge over the years is making sure that the group on the boat are all what I would call good spirited. Over the years I have had a couple people that got really moody and quiet when they figured out they were the worst rider in the boat, and a couple people that are just too weird to fit in with the crew. It is then tough to kind of get them to stop bugging me to go...Had to even unfriend one guy on facebook, and probably have one more to unfriend....Anyone with advice on those conversations or "brush off's"?

Last edited by scottb7; 08-06-2014 at 4:35 AM.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2014, 4:39 AM Reply   
Do like i do and tell them you are booked,
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       08-06-2014, 4:49 AM Reply   
I don't understand if you wanna be a regular , then buy a board. I figure after you come three times it is time to get your own stuff.If I go snowboarding , I don't expect to share my board at the hill.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2014, 4:51 AM Reply   
dont forget that it is YOUR boat!!!! if they dont follow rules or mess something up then thats it for them
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-06-2014, 5:04 AM Reply   
Kids parents.
My oldest son has his "crew" Three other 13 yo dudes that seem to always be on the boat and we ride usually 2 or 3 days a week. One kids mom makes it a point to drag the (2) boys to the cable, an hour drive, every couple of weeks and wont accept a dollar. In my mind we are square. The other two? nothing. I get the occasional thanks but thats it. Hell summer camp is $20 a day. Maybe a bag of Subways? A flat of water? Bag of grapes? Nope. They do crew hard though, I flush the engine and they do everything else. In salt water thats allot of washing. As for boards I have an old beater you can use. No way Cam is loaning out his Bill.
A note on sunscreen. No spray on stuff period. In fact dont even bring any, use mine. Please. My decks are gelcoat and that spray stuff turns slicker than owl ***** quick.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-06-2014, 5:38 AM Reply   
I have literally seen a girl walking across boats at a PWT event in high heels. I had to jump up and wall her off from the back of my boat until she took her shoes off, or she would have walked across my sunpad. People are (a) idiots and/or (b) just have no respect for other people's stuff.

On another note, most people have absolutely no idea how much these boats cost. I mean, no idea.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       08-06-2014, 5:50 AM Reply   
I had a guy say nice boat, how much was it, like 30k, my buy says like 3 times that. I thought he was going to crap his pants.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-06-2014, 6:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
My biggest gripe as of late is dropping deuces. I wake up in the morning and drop the kids off at the pool. You can either follow suit or crap in the woods. It is not my job to drive you to the dock because you are afraid to chit in the woods. I mean good God! We had a 220lb man crying like a little girl 2 weeks ago that wanted to get dropped off at the dock so he could drive to the gas station and come back because he had beer craps.
Teach him what I like to call the aquadump. Assuming no kids are on the boat, tell the guy to get in the water and hang on to the platform, take his shorts off, click the boat in gear (going forward), and let him go to town. It wont get on your boat is it exits behind, and the moving water acts as a bidet. Its not the best option but sometimes you are far from the dock, no woods around, etc...

*Use of the aquadump is only recommended in rare cases and emergencies. Also, avoid that area of the water for sometime after...
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-06-2014, 6:47 AM Reply   
^^^ had the boys do that a few times. Beware of floaters!
I actually paid for a private lesson for my oldest years ago when he was about 10. Here we are with a pro on his beautiful expensive new M/C on a private gated lake mind you and #1 is in the water. The pro yells out "ready?" #1s response? "Wait a minute! im going poop!" Funny now but wow, the guy had a real problem at the time..
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-06-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
Man, some of you guys are hardcore! I guess I'm the exact opposite. Wanna stand on the upholstery in shoes and put on spray lotion while drinking an iced coffee? No problem! I simply don't care. The sun bakes the life out of the upholstery every 5 years anyway. Unless you are one of those dudes with towels everywhere, which I'm not. Just show up on time and give me a few bucks for gas and get me back in the boat if I happen to concuss myself and take your trash with you when you leave and I'm good. Just out of curiosity, what is the rationale for drying off on the platform and drying off wakeboards? I'm guessing you're running in salt?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-06-2014, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
Man, some of you guys are hardcore! I guess I'm the exact opposite. Wanna stand on the upholstery in shoes and put on spray lotion while drinking an iced coffee? No problem! I simply don't care. The sun bakes the life out of the upholstery every 5 years anyway. Unless you are one of those dudes with towels everywhere, which I'm not. Just show up on time and give me a few bucks for gas and get me back in the boat if I happen to concuss myself and take your trash with you when you leave and I'm good. Just out of curiosity, what is the rationale for drying off on the platform and drying off wakeboards? I'm guessing you're running in salt?
Same here, generally not picky and my boats still manage to stay in good shape. They clean up easily. Gel coat is durable, vinyl isn't impossible to clean and snap out carpets are a godsend. People make sarcastic jokes about bringing cheetos on the boat. I chuckle and bust out a bag of them for myself.

I do appreciate when people don't make a mess, but we're out to have fun and relax, not bark orders and rules all day.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-06-2014, 8:32 AM Reply   
I only have one rule. No A**holes on the boat.
Old     (AdamTX)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-06-2014, 8:32 AM Reply   
Same here. Guess since I own an older Nautique I don't really care. Just don't be a douche and kick down some gas money and I'm good.

Some of you guys I'd probably never want to come back on your boat because you're so anal!
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-06-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
Ill let you get on with shoes but they get thrown in a pile behind the driver. I dont mind the suntan lotion but the oil is a bit much. Just clean up after yourself, offer up some gas money, and help with cleanup loading and unloading at the end of the day. The only thing that gets me upset is blatant disrespect for the otherson the boat, we're out to have fun no whining or complaining. Oh and no boards on the rear sunpad, the fins can do a number to vinyl.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
Luckily my friends are pretty good about throwing in for gas or supplying the beverages. We have 2 boats in our crew (85 Stars and Stripes and a 91 Sunsport). We take mine when we have more than 4 people and my buddy's when there's 4 or less going. I never expect the owner of the other boat to throw in for gas, since we switch off pretty evenly. He has the anything goes mentality in his boat, but mine definitely has rules (no shoes, no colored drinks, no potato chips, no orange/cheeses snacks, no littering, and no cigarettes/cigars) and if someone gets invited out and they don't follow the rules, they don't get invited out again. I don't mind people getting back in while they're wet, but I do have them wipe down the sunpad and they sit on a towel after they get in. It's a lot of work keeping these things looking nice and if someone isn't willing to contribute while we're on the water, then they don't get to come out.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-06-2014, 8:51 AM Reply   
It's all about respect at the end of the day. If they don't follow your rules you just don't invite them back. I have never had an issue telling people what they can and can't bring on my boat. I told a friend that chips were not allowed. He said "we're all adults". I said "try as hard as you want, there will still be crumbs on the floor. not happening". the types of food would be my biggest pet peeve otherwise my friends are pretty good for buying gear and chipping in for gas. I even had a friend pay for one tire when I had all four replaced 2 weekends ago.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-06-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm with you. Who cares if you get water in a boat.. it's a BOAT! It dries. Double this if you have seadek.

As for other stuff.. yeah - try to take off your shoes, if you spray sunblock - be careful, if you're going to eat/drink - try to not make a huge mess.

I have kids and friends with kids.. stuff will get messy - as long as it's not permanent damage, lighten up.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-06-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
HAHA i am that dude with towels everywhere and require wiping down on the platform, but YES, I'm in salt. It makes it that much easier to wash the boat when the interior is still clean.
However, when Im on fresh water, it's free game. I see it as washing all the salt with fresh water. Some of the Salt guys might know how good it feels when you launch your trailer in fresh water after a few months in salt. Ill submerge that thing down to the front jack and let it soak for a good couple minutes.

On our wake boarding days, I usually ask $25 from anyone that rides behind the boat. It's nice since the majority of them own boats and know the price of using it. They hand me it without asking. I never charge people for just ridding along.

I use to go out with some buddies to the lake for a weekend. Then buddies of those buddies would start coming. To sum it up, I had this dude literally hop out the car and jump straight in the shower, when we got back from a full day on the lake. I laughed and couldn't even ask him to help wash down. That guy will never come on my boat again.

Biggest pet peeve, drunk girls or guys that start forcing open, compartments, especially when they are leaning on the open back hatches about to break the gas shocks. And when people try opening the back hatches, but they are too buzzed to realize someone is sitting on it. Thats my cue to find a beach or sand bar and get everyone off my boat for a bit to sober up.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-06-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
I'm also the guy that probably takes the fun out of it for most people that go to the lake once a year. My best buddies from high school haven't got invited back in 2 summers. They were talking **** about pitching in for gas, when they were drinking our beer, and we fed them at the end of the day.

Soft sided cooler is a must!! I'm also really picky when I take the boat out, if the water is white capping it's ass off, my boats staying in the storage unit. No shoes obviously, my wife sprayed sun tan lotion in the cabin once, and now does it on the platform. I normally only have 1 or 2 buddies out , and ride as much as me and one helps out a bunch, the other doesn't, nor has he chipped in for gas at all this year. After they graduate college, that'll change I'm pretty lenient with food, but that's all common sense. If we want to get smashed, we take the pontoon out. Both boats are 2 miles from the ramp, and it keeps us out on the water when it's windy or busy on the lake, because the tooner is indestructible.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
Im the guy with towels.
Sun does bake the interior but in my old SSV mine still looked new after 6 yrs
I do run in brackish and fresh
I want them to dry off/Sit on a towel because i have always done it for keeping **** clean and dry
Montgomery is correct, Its all about RESPECT

I am anal about keeping my boat clean... I do like to have a great time and party, ride and have a great time but, respect my ****
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-06-2014, 9:50 AM Reply   
Guess I'm alone in the grass, ass or get off, I can afford gas
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-06-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:

I have a 95 sport nautique with standard carpet. If the carpet gets soaked, and does not get a chance to dry before putting the cover on, it gets really musty during the week. Even had a bit of mildew one time. It's easier to keep the carpet dry to begin with then to pull the cover off during the week so it can soak in the sun to dry out. Plus with the summer we had at the beginning of the year it rained so damn much that I wouldn't of had a chance to let it dry. My carpet takes along time to dry. I'm just trying to preserve an almost 20 yr old boat. It'll be interesting to see how some of these boats look in 20 yrs with owners who say free game.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       08-06-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
Everyone has their own way. He who owns the boat, makes the rules. No matter how strict they seem.

I had a chick get on the boat with heels on. She got educated pretty quick.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-06-2014, 10:10 AM Reply   
Wow. Some of these people seem either really new or really inconsiderate. There are definitely a few things everyone should understand even without boat experience.

-No shoes. A lot of people have a no shoes in their house. Why is it that unheard of when you're barefoot on the boat anyway? The only preferable type of boat shoes are flip flops, because they come off quick and easy.

-Gas money. If you're going to ride and aren't just going along to chill in the boat and flag or take pics for everyone, pay up. If you go out for a set, chip in at least $20 or 5 gallons. Boats don't run off hopes and dreams. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if everyone did this and the owner actually rode for free for taking you out on their boat. When I get pulled by someone, if they won't take my gas money, I will stash it in their glovebox and tell them about it after the fact.

-Keep your garbage organized. If there is a boat garbage for your cans, wrappers, etc. Utilize it. If not, stash it in your bag or something and pack it out with you. Don't go riding on someones boat and leave your crap everywhere for them to clean up.

-Offer to help any way you can, whether it be helping with trailering and loading, cleaning out the boat, getting stuff setup for riding, and wiping the boat down. Be a help on the boat, not a burden.

-Don't get everyone and the boat soaking wet or dirty. Normally this applies to drying off on the platform or sun pad that everyone is referring to. If you do, clean it up, you brought a towel for a reason.

-Bring your own food/drink, maybe some stuff to share.

All the other stuff seems to be pretty specific to certain owners and boats, but that's what I think should be pretty universal and all of it just comes down to respect.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-06-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
Anytime im on anyone else's boat besides mine - he automatically gets $40 whether I ride or not. I jump in his truck to drop him in the water, take over the helm for him & fill up & empty sacks for him. Pretty simple.

I learned pretty early in my childhood - do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Unfortunately many in this world missed that day in class.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-06-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
I still have a lot of the original 25 year old upholstery in my boat. It's not pristine but 5 years per reupholster job is not my experience. I'm not OCD about the stuff most folks here complain about, actually very laid back it seems. Just don't make a mess, don't be stepping on upholstery with shoes, try not to spill drinks and crumbs, don't shovel water in with your board, etc. Accidents happen and I don't sweat it because I'd prefer to have fun than be annoyed but I'd rather not have my boat abused. Everything about restoring or repairing a boat is labor intensive and I don't exactly have an abundance of free time to be doing work that could easily be avoided.

As for water in the boat, I try to keep the boat fairly dry inside. It is made of wood and will rot if kept wet. A full on stringer and floor job is not fast or cheap, it is a lot of work. I'd prefer to do it later rather than sooner. The foam in composite boats will hold water too and cause problems.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-06-2014, 10:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Anytime im on anyone else's boat besides mine - he automatically gets $40 whether I ride or not. I jump in his truck to drop him in the water, take over the helm for him & fill up & empty sacks for him. Pretty simple.

I learned pretty early in my childhood - do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Unfortunately many in this world missed that day in class.
You sir are awesome!

Yes, definitely fill and empty sacks, if they let you help trailer the boat. Some people are more picky than others about people driving their truck towing their boat and want to do it all. That is very understandable since not many people have trailering experience and can quickly fubar the day. But for those that will let you, by all means help out if you have the know how.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-06-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
I'm not sure how some people enjoy their time on the lake. I am as particular about my boat as any, but drying off the board and yourself before you get in the boat or hang it in rack, a bit extreme in my kind. My wife would never let me own a boat or want to go out never mind invite friends if I was any worse than I already am. I don't ever accept gas money or ask, we would be using it weather others are on board or not. Guess my boat does run on thanks because that means more to me than my friends money. If they are friends, odds are they get you back in life somewhere else. I tell everyone to come have a good time, provide drinks and food most of the time which eliminates the need for rules and regulations on those. I only put on what I want. We do use only rub on sunscreen and no Coppertone at all. If it gets messy, I just spend a little more time cleaning it, which I do alone not with everyone else. No one will clean it as well as me so no reason to bother anyone with it.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-06-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
Best advice I can give you....

I put a "Boats Dont Run on Thanks" sticker I made on my tower and people notice it and pay ALL the time.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-06-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
what the hell is a Jerry?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2014, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
Maybe he meant a Jeffrey? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcM6PgX-Oc8
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-06-2014, 11:09 AM Reply   
Like this Michael.lol.
Attached Images

Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-06-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
People just don't care about anyone but themselves and common sense isn't very common anymore. That's why I don't have a nice vehicle,too easy to damage and get away with it.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-06-2014, 11:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
i was wondering the same thing.

I like this thread. It's nice to see how others do it and handle it.

I've been boating for 15+ years, so i would like to think that i have a good idea of it all, but a large part of that was on my aunt's boat that i've borrowed many times, trailered, drove cleaned etc.

I would say she is a bit more lenient with her boat and i've grown in that direction probably because of her. (my wife however is not as lenient so we kinda even out :P) we always did the basics on her boat... pay for gas, no shoes, clean etc but it wasnt until about 6 years ago when i moved far away that i had to find others to ride with.

it was then that i learned others have other rules which honestly was no big deal. you are willing to take me out, i am willing to follow your rules.

i agree with the respect others rules things.. as said before, he who owns the boat makes the rules. follow them. whatever they may be. but the owner also needs to make them clear because not everybody has the same rules. some people i have been out with have made them clear, others not so much. (which doesnt mean anything goes either.)

i recently purchased my own boat and have been an owner for almost 2 years now. (yay!) id have to say i never knew how much more there was to it than just cleaning and gas. the maintenance, tax, all that other stuff really adds up. i would bet a lot of people don't realize that and i was never told about that.

i also believe in second chances though... (unless they are really really bad). sometimes people have a bad day, sometimes your mind is not in the right place.... i know i may not have always been the best guest (and i apologize if i wasnt!)
if i do something you do not like, i would hope you would let me know and give me a second chance. im not trying to be a jerk, maybe i just dont know. if i dont get it or dont learn, fine, dont bring me out again.

now that we own we bring out a handful of people that have never been boating before we took them out. sometimes we forget to tell them everything because we have been doing it for so long that we just kinda assume they would know, but they dont. occasionally it takes a time or two for them to get it.(like boards with fins on the upholstery or spray lotions).

this kinda isnt in the right place.. but talking about sometimes not knowing...
we were done riding a few weeks back and heading back to the dock. between where we ride and the 5mph zone i was pulling my wife on the tube just cuz she wanted to sit in it on the way back. not doing turns or anything, just towing it back. as we pull up to the no wake zone we stop to pull her in. some lady on another boat comes speeding over screaming and yelling at me and telling me how it's illegal to tow in that slough and it's so dangerous and she hopes i get a ticket. she seemed livid. i apologized. i told her i was towing pretty safely i felt, i have seen tons of ppl tow there, i didnt know it was a "no tow" zone, and i never saw anything posted about it, but if she were correct, i wouldn't do it again.

i asked the guys at the dock when we got back and they said she was wrong.

G
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-06-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
A Jerry is a 5 gallon gas can
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
Ask the boat owner before bringing your own cooler. I have several friends that like to bring their own cooler just cause of the convience of it. I personnally don't mind until it starts getting in my way. I usually have plenty of space in my cooler for others stuff, if not, I promise after everyone has a couple of drinking, there will be plenty of room.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-06-2014, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Like this Michael.lol.
Nailed it Dave!
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-06-2014, 12:15 PM Reply   
A jerry or jerry can is a 5 gallon can. Those that have been in the service
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-06-2014, 1:36 PM Reply   
My mom steps on the vinyl with her shoes then points out all the little tears in it asking where they are from
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-06-2014, 1:55 PM Reply   
Here's the big question, if your going to step on the seats, is it best to step directly on the stitching and piping or in the center on the vinyl away from the stitching? If you look, when you step away from the stitching, the materials pulls on the stitching causing it to pull through eventually. Now if you step directly on the stitching/ piping, it all compresses, not pulling on any stitching.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       08-06-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3843
Size:  50.2 KB

Any way to reinforce the stitching in these situations?
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2014, 4:05 PM Reply   
I don't see it as extreme. I see it as keeping your **** clean and dry. How long does it really take? 1 maybe 2 minutes at most to dry the board off and shake the boots free of water. Dry off maybe a minute or two as well. So we have wasted a max of 5 min. Hell that's a cold beverage and bs about the run. If I make a run with buds I do the same on their boat and drop them 20-40 bucks and a cold drink.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-06-2014, 4:07 PM Reply   
Here's one for ya.Son s girlfriend buys brand new hot pink bikini.First time wearing it she takes swim then takes nap on cushions in bow.Yup ,the dye ran stained cushions for good.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2014, 4:09 PM Reply   
Now that would suck badly.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-06-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowwwflowww View Post
Here's one for ya.Son s girlfriend buys brand new hot pink bikini.First time wearing it she takes swim then takes nap on cushions in bow.Yup ,the dye ran stained cushions for good.

Damn, who would of thought.

Have you tried taking the cushion off and leaving it in the sun every now and again? I've read the sun will eventually pull out stains like that over time.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-06-2014, 4:41 PM Reply   
^^Ya maybe over time it will,i hope!!
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-06-2014, 4:43 PM Reply   
Had buddy or for the weekend and he was not getting it until I said, when we get back while don't you let me drive your 69 nova when drunk and bleed on the seats. He changed his tune quick.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-06-2014, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_49 View Post
What stitching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowwwflowww View Post
And you didn't add her pics to the boat bun thread? Come on, there was almost an entire thread of passed out girls on the boats taken by creepy guys

Never thought about clothes running and bleeding though.
I guess we need to add a new rule to the board. No new clothes, only prewashed.
What have you tried to get it off?
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-06-2014, 6:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_49 View Post
Attachment 36684

This is funny, that's my boat and in the first 5 years I had that installed, and used a lot, I never had problems with stitching. Now colors bleeding from under those hatches was a whole nother problem.

I used to be the most anal boat owner for the first few years, but just don't really give much thought into much anymore. Definitely shoes and slippers off but I'm good with everything else. Never once put much thought into how I should step on the vinyl. The boat is to have fun and enjoy, I would hate to boat with some of you that have all those rules. My biggest rule in the past was absolutely no chips in the boat, but what am I gonna tell my nieces when they brought some. It's easier to have fun and clean everything with a pressure water later.
Old     (AlbertaSurfer)      Join Date: May 2014       08-06-2014, 7:07 PM Reply   
I let people eat chips, drink red gatorade, fresh fruit like cherries, sit directly on the vinyl and I'm likely the worst for hopping in the boat with water still running off me, and even though it's 15 years old I'm always told it "looks new"

Boats are easy to clean, and as the owner, it's part of my job. I would never ask someone to help, but wouldn't turn it away either. You make the payments, you own it, you clean it... Do people have to wash your car if they travel with you? Relax!

Gas, shoes, having their own boards, I get that. Why do you need to wear shows in a boat anyway? On the same hand though, if you invite someone you know damn well doesn't have a board, don't whine when they use yours. You made the choice to buy the boat, charging $45 a ride is stupid. $20 to cover gas is fair, you likely called people because without them, you can't ride either, can you?

If I ever had to sit on a towel, leave my lunch in the bag, pay $45, or towel off myself and my board... don't worry, I won't be back anyway!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-06-2014, 7:38 PM Reply   
I agree with most things here, just don't get the dry off on the platform... Boats get wet, it's not going to hurt the boat

Also$20 is fair for a day out. Some people here are way over the top. I wouldn't want to ride on their boats anyway

Last edited by cjh1669; 08-06-2014 at 7:44 PM.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-06-2014, 8:07 PM Reply   
Have any of you guys had friends plan a lake trip with your boat before you know about it? Hahaha. Happened to me a couple times. Those trips didn't happen haha
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-06-2014, 10:26 PM Reply   
Some of you guys are over the top with the money thing. I can't imagine asking my friends for money after I asked them to come out on the boat. If it's a group of 3 guys that ride multiple times a week, I totally think pitching in is part of the game, but having some friends out on the weekend when you are already going to be on the water and then asking for money looks cheap, especially if you can swing the $90k+ boat. To me it's like having someone over for dinner and then asking them to split the bill at the end of the night.

And drying off on the platform??? Come on
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-06-2014, 10:46 PM Reply   
I like to keep my boat nice, as I'm sure we all do.
But I'm not going to sacrifice fun and a good time, just to be the boat nazi.
I'm not sure how some of you guys get people to go boating with you in the first place, let alone pay for the ride! Lol
I'm not going to tell my girlfriend she can't tan, or my buddies little kid that he has to drink water only.
Some stuff in this thread is way over the top.
Have some of your riding buddies kick you down some Prozac, instead of gas money. It may be more beneficial.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-06-2014, 10:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
And drying off on the platform??? Come on
You would think twice about that if you run in salt like I do.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-07-2014, 3:24 AM Reply   
It goes both ways.. Some people on this thread say you wouldn't go boating with the person if he had rules like that, but on the flip side the boat owner wouldn't want you with of you don't have respect. I've never heard so many adults ragging on rules before. It's just plain old respect for peoples stuff. There's rules and regulations for everything in life. Rules at the ramp, rules at the beach, etc. Most (not all) of the rules people are posting are reaaal simple. Ya come down the dock, you take your shoes off, you get in the boat. Real simple. You go out for your set and then come back in. You hand me your board after you shook it off and I put it on the rack. If I don't do this my racks will allow the board to drip all over the driver and controls. In the meantime you are drying off on the platform. Real simple. What's the difference to you if it has to be in the boat instead of the platform? Just do it on the platform, real simple. These rules put zero damper on our fun. Same thing applies at a persons house. If I got chip crumbs all over your couch, you'd be pissed. If I started walking out of your bathroom and down your hall to the bedroom without drying off in the bathroom, that'd be pretty crazy.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-07-2014, 3:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
t goes both ways.. Some people on this thread say you wouldn't go boating with the person if he had rules like that, but on the flip side the boat owner wouldn't want you with of you don't have respect.
Thats it right there. Every situation is different. When I got my first boat I didn't give a crap what you did. Years later I was spending 2 weeks and 2500 bucks on material to replace my vinyl. Think the older you get the less time you want to spend cleaning up other peoples messes in general. I don't have a boat so I can spend hours a week cleaning up cheetos and stains. I have kids, work, and a woman to tend to and thats already 110% of my time. If being a crotchety old man saves me from that then so be it. Not taking care of a boat costs you time and will have you hemoraging money in the end. Add paying for someone elses pulls in gas and my patience is gone. Either way people need to respect your rules or gtfo. Not listening to rules and being disrespectful of your property/money is just as good as a kick to the balls
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-07-2014, 4:23 AM Reply   
There is respect for people's stuff, then there is being a boat nazi. Rules that make sense, I agree are needed. Rules about drying off on the platform make zero sense. I get more water in my boat from splashing in choppy water than from a rider getting out. It's a boat, it's going to get wet. The only exception I've heard here is the salt water one, even then water is going to get into the boat
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-07-2014, 4:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
There is respect for people's stuff, then there is being a boat nazi
The uber cool part about it is there are boat dealers all over the place, onlyinboards, and multiple other venues available for people to buy their own boats if they are too cool for the boat owners rules.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-07-2014, 4:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
The uber cool part about it is there are boat dealers all over the place, onlyinboards, and multiple other venues available for people to buy their own boats if they are too cool for the boat owners rules.

When you have no third, because you have over the top ridiculous rules, and riding in your boat is about as much fun as hitting the dentist, then you'll think twice. It's a two way street. You need people to ride too. Like I said rules that make sense I'm all for. My boat is in great condition, I've had people do dumb things that have caused damage, so I get it. Make rules to avoid those not ones about water in a boat....
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-07-2014, 5:34 AM Reply   
I'm calm with my rules just expect alil gas cash and common sense. I don't expect to see people eating cheetos and drinking red kool aid in my boat. All I'm saying is I don't blame someone who just buys a 125k boat to be overly anal.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-07-2014, 5:36 AM Reply   
Being old enough to have a wife and family and expecting gas money for pulls is unthinkable to me. I can see it if you are 25 and single and you take the boat ownership leap so your group of buddies can get on the water, but if you need or want money for pulls as an established adult just seems off to me. The most enjoyment we get is getting new people out to experience the lake life we have grown to love. Can't imagine doing that, having a great time then sticking my hand out for gas contributions for the day they just spent enjoying part of our life.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       08-07-2014, 5:51 AM Reply   
I am not hardcore on drying off and what not , just the shoes and sliding off the platform. If I take you a time or two it is fine , but if you start wrecking the board because your feet are too big then time to buy your own board. I mean he is a professional he can afford it.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-07-2014, 6:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Being old enough to have a wife and family and expecting gas money for pulls is unthinkable to me. I can see it if you are 25 and single and you take the boat ownership leap so your group of buddies can get on the water, but if you need or want money for pulls as an established adult just seems off to me. The most enjoyment we get is getting new people out to experience the lake life we have grown to love. Can't imagine doing that, having a great time then sticking my hand out for gas contributions for the day they just spent enjoying part of our life.
My hobby is not to pay for other peoples hobbies. I'm 31, have 2 kids, have an ex wife, and just got married. Believe me my money is better spent elsewhere than paying 250 a weekend in gas for others to ride. I ride a ton with my wife after work etc. I don't "demand" gas money but not giving gas money and taking multiple 20 min sets, surfing, etc and not throwing in some cash is a good way to not see another invite. Its just common courtesy. I never expect gas money from people who are just trying to learn or just riding. Also if your friends are cool with you taking a 150 dollar hit for the day so they can ride........your friends might suck

Last edited by williamburell; 08-07-2014 at 6:45 AM.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-07-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
$150 hit for a day we can all enjoy is not a big deal. If it is you are playing the wrong game. Like I said above, our friends have other interests we don't have and when we tag along with them to participate in what they enjoy, the gas money is more than paid back. Should I also ask for a fee for staying at our lake house when we invite them since they don't have to pay for a hotel. Come on man, you gotta be better than that. My friends are some of the best people we know and no one in our group ever frets over a couple bucks worth of fuel money. We are fortunate enough to have a boat and a few vacation properties, what fun are they if we don't have friends along to enjoy them with?

To each their own, but people that put their hand out for contributions are part of our group of friends, those that do might suck.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-07-2014, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
$150 hit for a day we can all enjoy is not a big deal. If it is you are playing the wrong game. Like I said above, our friends have other interests we don't have and when we tag along with them to participate in what they enjoy, the gas money is more than paid back. Should I also ask for a fee for staying at our lake house when we invite them since they don't have to pay for a hotel. Come on man, you gotta be better than that. My friends are some of the best people we know and no one in our group ever frets over a couple bucks worth of fuel money. We are fortunate enough to have a boat and a few vacation properties, what fun are they if we don't have friends along to enjoy them with?

To each their own, but people that put their hand out for contributions are part of our group of friends, those that do might suck.
Obviously some of us aren't rolling around with numerous vacation properties etc (like how you threw that in there). Maybe in 10 years when I'm 40 and a bit more established I can look down on others for asking for gas money but hey I'm not quite there yet. Sorry bro
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-07-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Obviously some of us aren't rolling around with numerous vacation properties etc (like how you threw that in there). Maybe in 10 years when I'm 40 and a bit more established I can look down on others for asking for gas money but hey I'm not quite there yet. Sorry bro

I guess we should just sell our boats then!

All we are getting at is when you have the same riding group weekend after weekend I feel the person should kick in some money. Here's a scenario. Last weekend my wife and I were out on the water. We had a third with. They were a regular riding buddy in our group. We burned 29 gallons of gas that day rotating sets between the three of them. I also burned 25 gallons in the truck to get to the lake. I also cooked supper on the grill.

In this scenario you don't feel a person should get any gas money to help out? I have good friends, and consider myself a good friend, but i sure as **** do not financially support my friends hobbies!! Im only 24, I have enough hobbies of my own to support there bud. But wait, guess I need to sell my boat... Good grief

Once someone becomes a regular weekend after weekend, they need to contribute to the cause.

Edit: I also do not tell people they owe me $xx.xx for a set. I'm just saying I feel the person should be kind enough to bring a jerry and put a bit in the tank. If they don't offer, then they ride for free, I havent kicked people off my boat.

Last edited by jordanh; 08-07-2014 at 7:44 AM.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-07-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
I think it's a common practice to offer gas money for a ride behind a boat. Anyone in the know who comes out with me throws down $20, and when i go on someone else's boat I give $20. Doesn't matter how much money they have. My boat takes $300 to fill the tank, after you add in the 4 bottles of octane booster. I'm not going to drop $300 a week to pull someone else. Do I force people to, especially people who don't boat a lot, no, but after a while they figure it out. We get about $180 a week form people pitching, which makes the gas bill much easier to swallow. It's just courtesy to give gas money if you use someone elses gas
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-07-2014, 7:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
I guess we should just sell our boats then!

All we are getting at is when you have the same riding group weekend after weekend I feel the person should kick in some money. Here's a scenario. Last weekend my wife and I were out on the water. We had a third with. They were a regular riding buddy in our group. We burned 29 gallons of gas that day rotating sets between the three of them. I also burned 25 gallons in the truck to get to the lake. I also cooked supper on the grill.

In this scenario you don't feel a person should get any gas money to help out? I have good friends, and consider myself a good friend, but i sure as **** do not financially support my friends hobbies!! Im only 24, I have enough hobbies of my own to support there bud. But wait, guess I need to sell my boat... Good grief

Once someone becomes a regular weekend after weekend, they need to contribute to the cause.
Nothing but truth there. Boat owners are already giving. They don't pay for the boats or make the payments, they don't pay to tow it, they don't pay storage fees or insurance, and they don't have to fix it when/if it breaks down. Guess I'm just a have-not jew trying to screw my friends out of free hobbies.

Quote:
My boat takes $300 to fill the tank, after you add in the 4 bottles of octane booster. I'm not going to drop $300 a week to pull someone else.
preach it
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-07-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
Oh and don't let your girl friend slide down the side of the boat, in jean shorts, to get off at the end of the day instead of getting off the swim platform. Black gel coat doesn't like rivets......
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-07-2014, 8:50 AM Reply   
If I had a 100 k in the bank, and 20k of loose change in the couch, I wouldn't worry about gas either. Until then, it'd piss me off pulling the same crew every weekend for free too.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-07-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Example:
My good friend is pretty loaded and 6 years younger than I. He has a 3+M house in FL. and a 1+M vacation home in TN with an X2 and a dozen ATVs where he summers with his family. I dont make 10% what he does. When we go visit I grab the pile of jerrys from the barn and go fill them all up. On the way up the mountain I stop at the grocery store and stock a weeks food for 12 people including all the beer I can drink in a week plus extra for him.
I help cut fire wood and fix the ATVs or boat when there is a problem.
Am I ever asked to do any of this? Should I be asked? No> It gives me joy to be useful and I am grateful for the situation that he has created and i am enjoying.
I never ask to visit but am not surprised when I get the "when the hell are you coming up?" text.
I think that all us boat owners ask, be we rich in money or not, is that we be appreciated for our efforts. Nobody likes being taken for granted. Not helping with the gas and or boat is taking the situation for granted.
Old     (AlbertaSurfer)      Join Date: May 2014       08-07-2014, 8:55 AM Reply   
Of course money is always welcome, but if I ever showed up to a boat and buddy had his arms crossed on the platform and said, "$40 or we don't go", I'm going home. I have people that bring gas or money, and people that don't. Have the people that do give it to you in front of the others and they'll get the hint.

The chips and drinks thing is just dumb. If you come over to my house, I'll hand you a drink and put chips on the coffee table and know full well you aren't going to make a mess. Why would it be different because we are in a boat?

Also, if you make people dry off their board and towel off outside the boat, then take 30gal of water over the bow because you weren't paying attention while picking up a surfer, you're a dick...