Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-10-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
Hey guys, just wondering if anybody has used a boat engine heater like this one

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/706515.htm

or a magnetic block heater paired with an electrical outlet thermostat like these

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=FIV&categorycode=3355&m frpartnumber=1153
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls.shtml

We live in west tx and plan to take the boat out once or twice a week during the winter. Would it be possible to use one of these heaters instead of having to winterize the boat? If possible we would like to use the magnetic block heaters just because they are so much cheaper. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-10-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
$350....I'd pass on that one. Just winterize
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-10-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
Yea $350 is pretty high, you can get em on ebay new for around $300, but it would be a small price to pay to ride year round. But this is why I would rather use the magnetic block heater with the electrical outlet thermostat because I could get the full set up for under $100. Let me know what you guys think.
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-10-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
Aside from the price has anyone had any problems with using a set up like this? I would probably obsess about the power going off an run home to check every couple of hours!
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-10-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
What happened to just putting a 20W drop light in the engine compartment? That's what I do on cold nights.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-10-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
I personally use two child night lights on a timer. I use two in case one burns out.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-10-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
How cold does it get there? Do you really need a heater? I stored my boat outside in Cali with no problems, I just drained the block/manifolds after using it. We get a few days here and there with freezing weather.

If it does get plenty cold enough to need a heater then definetly spend the money for a good one. After all a motor is worth thousands of dollars.

Matt, I like the two childrens lights, good idea too. Although I also know it rarely freezes where you live.
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-10-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
Yea the winters are crazy here in lubbock. you never know what can happen, one day it can be 75 then the next it will be 15 and iced over. what would you guys go with? would you spend the $300 on the boatsafe heater, or would you get the magnetic block heaters?
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-10-2005, 10:41 PM Reply   
If it really gets down to 15 then I would not trust the magnetic block heater to add enough warmth. I had one I used on my car for a little while when it was cold and it did not do much to keep it warm outside of the immediate area it was attached. I then installed a tank heater that circulated the coolant and heated it up and it was light years better. I wasn't as cold as 15 degrees either. I'd combine the magnetic heater with something else if you don't want to spend $300 for the engine compartment heater.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-10-2005, 10:56 PM Reply   
I did not winterize last year and used a block heater and had no problems..it doesnt get that cold in Oregon but does get down in the high 20's on occasion
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-11-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
what would you guys think about two magnetic block heaters, one on each side of the engine? would that work better? and this still puts me at less than $100.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-11-2005, 3:50 PM Reply   
I think that would be fine
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-11-2005, 11:17 PM Reply   
once again, why don't you just drain your block after each time you use it? What is accomplished with a block heater when it will take 10 minutes max and no $$????

Maybe I'm missing something here???
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-12-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
Hey Duane, how would I go about draining the block on my 00 xstar, this is definitely a better (and cheaper) option if it would be quick and easy, I just do not have a clue on how to do it. And will just draining the block completely protect the engine from freezing or do I also need to do something else?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-12-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
Lol you sound like me, I look at an engine and just scratch my head. I have no idea what is what
Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-12-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
the only problem i have with draining it after every use is unless you are really thorough, you might miss some water. I have a heater and a shower in my boat. Those should be drained, along with the block and the transmission cooler and water lines to the exhaust manifolds. That seems like a bunch of work to do on a recurring basis.

i live in western washington. i keep my boat in the garage, with one car that gets used daily. I have a Radio Shack wireless temperature sensor in the engine compartment. It reports back to the indoor temp sensor in my family room. the indoor sensor tells me the indoor temp/humidity and the temp/humidity from up to 3 wireless sensors.

My boat never got below 40 degrees in the engine compartment, even after a few days in the upper 20's. it does not get much below freezing except for maybe ten days a year. Not a problem in the garage.

(Message edited by johnbowen on November 12, 2005)
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-12-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
We use this and it works great.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/10837/10001/743/379/12
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-12-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
Tate--
Where do you place the heater ? I assume it will not fit in the engine compartment .
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-12-2005, 11:42 PM Reply   
Tate - i am wondering the same thing where do you put it....that looks like the perfect thing to use, and super cheap. how cold does it get where you are?

(Message edited by praisinplaya on November 12, 2005)
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-13-2005, 5:13 AM Reply   
Read the reviews - I don't know if I would trust it...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductReviewView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&catentryId=10837&storeNum=12&sub deptNum=379&classNum=743
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-13-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
I saw these the other day at www.skidim.com

These are quick drain valves that go in place of your engine block and manifold plugs. Instead of having to unscrew drain plugs after evey trip all you have to do is turn a valve. They make them for PCM and Indmar engines. I'm thinking about getting a set of these. They're only $50 for the set. Then for the V-drive you can buy seperate valves instead of an entire set. You would still have to disconnect a few hoses here and there, but I think this may make the whole draining process a little easier?

(Message edited by nauty on November 13, 2005)
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-13-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
anyone else have any opinions on the heaters or magnetic block heaters? or different products that they use to avoid winterizing?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-14-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
Two issues with the block heater approach:

1) There are a number of cases where the block heater shorts out, or the extension cord running to it does, and it ends up creating a fire that that causes much more damage than the freeze would have! BOAT/US insurance warns against these things all the time.

2) If the power fails as a result of the blizzard that just blew in then your boat is unprotected.
Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-23-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
If you drain the engine/heater, do you need to put in antifreeze?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-23-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
I do use bio antifreeze but I store my boat all winter
On my mercruiser there are a total of 6 drain plugs on the cooling system. I do not have a heater or a shower but there are 2 plugs, one for each manifold, one plug placed at the elbow after the circulating pump, one plug on each side of the engine and one down in the bottom near the fuel pump/fuel pump cooler. I turn the engine over (not start) just a quick turn or 2 to push some of the anti freeze thru the system but it isn't really necessary I dont think...The tranny cooler is the first thing in line after the raw water pump and then the fuel cooler so I am pretty sure that drains completely along with the fuel cooler... Owned the boat 5 years, never had any problems. On my mercruiser the plugs are blue, easy to spot em, easy to remove (I have a direct drive, it maybe be slightly more complicated in a vdrive) takes all of 3 minutes to remove all of them...why take a risk on a heater failure when you can perform this a couple times and then there is no chance of freezing...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-23-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   

quote:

the only problem i have with draining it after every use is unless you are really thorough, you might miss some water. I have a heater and a shower in my boat. Those should be drained, along with the block and the transmission cooler and water lines to the exhaust manifolds. That seems like a bunch of work to do on a recurring basis.

a block heater won't protect your heater, shower, tranny cooler, etc, so you'd have to drain those anyway. seriously, just drain everything. it takes 10 min tops, which you'd probably spend setting up the heater(s) anyway. no risks of system failure either.