Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-29-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
So I know retro is cool, but when did this happen to the sunglasses scene? The trend has been big glasses for a while, but now all I see is the same sunglasses I used to buy at the gas station for 99 cents back in the 80's. Am I just old or are these a terrible look?
Attached Images

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-29-2013, 1:23 PM Reply   
I enjoy "wayfarer" type sunglasses when I'm on my moped... the larger lenses help block wind.

I usually buy a box of like 10 from ebay for $10 and those last me a summer.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2013, 3:24 PM Reply   
Yeah they have been trending along with hot pink and neon green shoes. What is funny is that most of them must be cheap knock-offs because I now own three pairs from people leaving them in my boat. That never happened with a $350 pair of Prada's.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-29-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
Frogskins were the first sunglasses anyone ever made that didn't make me look like a 7 year old with his daddies giant shades on. I never got into the goofy superstar sunglasses with the huge lenses (because we all need to hide our superstar identity). I'll wear sporty wrap arounds until I'm dead no matter how much they may make me look like an old man to my kids. I do like that all the cheap sunglass companies made jokeleys so I could get the same style for gas station prices. That way it didn't break the budget when I left them in someone's boat.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-30-2013, 1:20 PM Reply   
I havent bought in to the Wayfarer look either. Then again Im not one to follow fashion/style trends. To each his own.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-30-2013, 2:30 PM Reply   
Hipsters
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2013, 9:29 AM Reply   
I dig em but I've always been comfortable pushing the edge on fashion, sunglasses, etc. I really wouldn't at all call these cutting edge and especially not hipster. They're really just somewhat fashionable functional sunglasses.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-31-2013, 10:14 AM Reply   
You're not old either Eubanks (1979) because if you were old enough to know what you were doing in the 80's, you would know that those Frogskins weren't popular until the late 80's and they cost about $55. Adjusted for inflation, that's about $200 of today's money. I owned two pair and they broke my minimum wage budget both times. Gas stations were still selling fake Vuarnet France sunglasses (which look more like the dooshy Prada's that you are wearing today) until the mid to late 90's. You weren't getting anything even close to this in a gas station for 99 cents in the 80's. Maybe sometime in the very late 90's? Chinese manufacturing hadn't ramped up to copy the latest styles within weeks the way it has today. Back then it took years to get cheap copies.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
Those have been popular in the wake scene since at least 2007. It seemed like every wakeskater wore Oakley Frogskins back in 07/08 haha