Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (belly)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-22-2015, 6:44 PM Reply   
He guys.
I'm looking at my first wake-board boat and not sure which way to go. I don't want to spend a ton of $$ on a boat to start out so Im looking for the right boat that is a basket case. I have a background in building Hot Rods, Engines and painting boats and cars so Im not scared of putting in some hard work for the right boat.
I have on offer a 1985 supra rider for $1000 which is in poor shape and needs everything. I estimated I can come close to putting it back together for about $8000 ish. New 350 chev, interior, paint etc .......or am I better buying one that's running and ready to go in fair condition ?
IS THIS A GOOD BOAT TO START WITH ??
Is there a better boat to start with ?
What I don't want to do is buy a boat and out grow it in 2 years and need another one.
Im not scared of some hard work to bring an old timer back to life if its the right thing.
I can make a 1985 boat look like a 2015 model.

I would appreciate and input.
Cheers
Tony
Houston TX.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-22-2015, 7:21 PM Reply   
It really depends on your budget and how good you are at estimating the costs and also how soon you want to get on the water. if your budget is 8k max and you have all the time in the world, then it's a great 1st boat. It's open bow with a lot of freeboard, so you can weigh it down pretty good.

But if you can really swing 12-15k, you might be better off looking for a good deal on a turn-key boat that's newer. Do some searches on here, there is a lot of good information on the best boats for different budgets.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-22-2015, 7:26 PM Reply   
sounds like a winter project and not something you could enjoy any time soon. unless I could work on it during the week, it wouldn't be for me
also agree there's much better boats out there for slightly more money
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-23-2015, 2:27 AM Reply   
Yeesh I like projects too but I'd rather start my boat up and use it rather than put 400 hours and 7k into making it a decent boat that won't be worth 8k because it's painted. Or ever if it's an 85 Supra.
On a budget, I'd write off this season since you won't use a basket case project boat this summer anyway. Spend 8k on the best deal you can find in the fall when it's the best time to buy and have a very clean good running boat for the same price. Then if you want to do some work to it you can nickel and dime some nice upgrades by next summer.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-23-2015, 6:25 AM Reply   
Also, that generation of supra add stingers and floor into it.
One cool project and would raise the value is if it converted it to a V-drive.
It's been done on a few nauti 2001's so shouldn't be to hard if you are good at fab work.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2015, 7:48 AM Reply   
I'd like to see a 2001 (or any d drive for that matter) converted to vdrive that didn't come out looking like ****.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-23-2015, 11:26 AM Reply   
Here is 20 pages worth of a guy doing a sick build on a 2001
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum...tle=2001vdrive
This one looks damn good to me
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-23-2015, 12:32 PM Reply   
That rebuild thread ^ is like quick sand. Easy to fall in.

To the OP, you'll must likely spend more than the boat will be worth once rebuilt. Not a huge problem if you want to run it for years. Kind of a waste of time and money to rebuild and sell soon unless you really just want to hook someone else up with a good deal when you sell.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2015, 12:46 PM Reply   
I stand corrected. That 2001 looks very well done, although it can't be same boat pictured above. So that's 2 that have been done right.

I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, just that most would run out of either patience or funds (or both) before the project is completed. Definitely a labor of love and couldn't imagine selling if I had put that much work into a boat
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-23-2015, 1:08 PM Reply   
I bought a cheep ski boat and made it the way I wanted it. No V drive but a good usable boat for my family. It has been a solid runner for a few years now. Put gas in it and go shred. Thats it. Bought it for $400, put about 6500 on top of that into it. I didnt have to buy any tools or learn new tricks and I get parts wholesale and I still blew my budget and it took twice as long as I had hoped.

Its a fun read if you have time.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...=790422&page=2