Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-24-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
I currently keep my boat outside with a higher end cover(shark skin plus) that covers my entire boat. with the tower down. This year I'm noticing on the underside of the cover is mildewing or molding. Any one have this problem and know of a way to eliminate it?its not affecting my boat right now but would hate for it to spread in to my boat.
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-24-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
I have the same situation with the boat outside and sharkskin cover. Easiest thing to do is buy a big plastic bucket of kitty litter and put it in the floor of the boat with the top off. I get the stuff that has odor eliminator too. Keeps the smell and moisture down. I have a friend that does the same thing with charcoal as well...
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-24-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
Really? It works good?
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-24-2014, 9:39 AM Reply   
Or a bucket of swimming pool calcium carbonate
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-24-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
DampRid is a good product as well.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-24-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
Yeah some of those good covers can almost do more damage cause they don't breath. I have seen some boats and vinyl mold so bad it will make you sick. You can do the suggestions above or use a product made for it like Damprid http://www.grainger.com/product/6XFG...140224174105:s

The other thing I always did was stick a bumper under the each side on the gunwale between the cover and the boat to allow airflow and let air escape either side. Simple and it always works. Cinch the cover tight around it, so water does not pool up on the cover still, but still leaves a path for air.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-24-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
^^i like that idea!! But ****in cats and rodents!
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       02-24-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
I leave my tower up and use the factory cover like normal, and then get a larger tarp and "teepee" it over the tower. It basically acts like a vapor barrier between the two layers and keeps the moisture from sweating through into the boat. I just uncovered mine the other day to let it air out since the weather has been so nice here in DFW, and the inside of my boat was bone dry and absolutely zero odor or mold in it. I also made sure to put bumpers under all my seats so they're propped open and can air out too.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-24-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
For 2 years I used my towable cover with the tower up and then put a cover designed for a T top center console boat over everything. The over cover did get a little bit of what appeared to be discoloration from mold. The regular cover was pristine. In the mornings, the over cover would be damp from the morning dew and there would be a little condensation on the inside over the over-cover. The regular cover was alway dry though.

This worked well for 2 yrs and I had no vinyl issues or mold issues. Also, the over cover went over the sides and swim deck so it was protected from UV as well. I prefer the T top cover since I can put it on in about 5-7 minutes and take it off in about 3. I tried a tarp one time and it took forever, did not breath and was awkward.
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-24-2014, 12:21 PM Reply   
Yes, litter works really well, I've done it for years with no issue. I use it year round, it helps with the smell during the season when it is put up and hot outside...no musty smell the next time around. I have used the DampRid as well, it works good but is far more expensive and really did not help with the smell in my opinion.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-24-2014, 1:14 PM Reply   
I had this same problem with the sharkskin cover too. I bought it to be water proof (what was I thinking???) but it ended up being too good and keeping moisture in. My boat got more mold and mildew in it in one season with the sharkskin cover than 4 seasons with the factory one. Not worth it IMO. I went back to a factory Sunbrella type cover and it worked much better. As others mentioned I do now use damp rid and a teepee type cover over the whole thing when/ if I have to keep it outside in winter months. I also use (link below) tea tree mildew prevention products following the sharkskin fiasco that I buy seasonally at our boat show. I guess they worked (at least it smells good) but maybe it was just in my head as I got rid of the sharkskin at the same time as I started using them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181289416981?lpid=82
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-24-2014, 1:28 PM Reply   
Are you by power? A dehumidifier or air-dryer will solve all of your problems. Those are the greatest products I have every purchased for my boat.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-24-2014, 1:40 PM Reply   
I use a marine air circualtor similiar to this. Forgot to mention that above.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Airplan...31c03a&vxp=mtr
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-24-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
I do have power running to my battery tender. But am weary about leaving stuff plugged in months at a time.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-24-2014, 7:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
For 2 years I used my towable cover with the tower up and then put a cover designed for a T top center console boat over everything. The over cover did get a little bit of what appeared to be discoloration from mold. The regular cover was pristine. In the mornings, the over cover would be damp from the morning dew and there would be a little condensation on the inside over the over-cover. The regular cover was alway dry though.

This worked well for 2 yrs and I had no vinyl issues or mold issues. Also, the over cover went over the sides and swim deck so it was protected from UV as well. I prefer the T top cover since I can put it on in about 5-7 minutes and take it off in about 3. I tried a tarp one time and it took forever, did not breath and was awkward.
I think this is the best idea. Have your normal cover on and then a tarp or really oversized cover that covers everything. Really what you want is 2 layers of covers with a gap between the 2 so there is some air circulation.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-26-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
This is kinda what it looked like. Towable cover underneath. EZ on, EZ off. No mold problems in Louisiana for 2 years. A bit spendy at $450 but well worth it.

Old     (BoatCoversandBiminiTops)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-06-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
Hi Chris!

We would recommend using Vented Support Poles to allow air ventilation throughout the cover while keeping the cover supported as well.

Check out this link:

http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/prod...support-poles/

Give me a call and I will be happy to apply a WakeWorld forum member discount just by mentioning the post!

Sincerely,
Shannon with Boat Covers Direct
1-866-626-8377
shannon@coversdirect.com
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-06-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
How does the footing work on those?
Old     (BoatCoversandBiminiTops)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-06-2014, 10:36 AM Reply   
The Westland Vented Support Poles are built with a rubber boot on one end to grip the floor of your boat and stay in place. Once the vent is installed, you will attach the pole into the vent from under the cover and secure the boot to the floor.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-06-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
Give me 2!
Old     (BoatCoversandBiminiTops)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-06-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
Great!

Give me a call to place your order! You can also reach me via email or through our Live Chat!

We are in the office Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm eastern time.

Thanks
Shannon with Boat Covers Direct
1-866-626-8377
shannon@coversdirect.com
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-06-2014, 12:31 PM Reply   
OEM cover and a tarp on top is the way to go.

I stored mine that way. and we had a wet winter.

Boat stayed bone dry