Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-14-2015, 10:13 AM Reply   
I posted this over at Planetnautique and did not get a lot of response so figured I would try here. What are your thoughts? Any chance they drop this in the Armada and give us a diesel powered SUV again?

http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/2016-titan/
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-14-2015, 11:00 AM Reply   
LOL...not a chance in hell with the cummins 5 liter. That is a heavy motor so the truck is a heavy duty version of a 1/2 ton.

I don't know if the Armada uses the same front end as the Titan anyway...It's likely a softer suspension (isn't the rear independent as well?)
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-14-2015, 12:15 PM Reply   
That truck looks pretty sweet. Good to see a new diesel competitor. Is that the same engine going into the Dodge?
Any idea what that bad boy will cost?
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-14-2015, 1:18 PM Reply   
Dodge won't get that engine, for some stupid reason they said they didn't want it. Little worried about Nissan trucks but this is a good start. They also have a beast stealing box in it so maybe the my really did go all out.

I heard high 30s

I think the tundra is getting it also?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-14-2015, 1:40 PM Reply   
I'm not sure the reason was all that stupid. Dodge already has a cummins of their own. I'm sure you are aware of that. This one...(the Nissan) while an awesome motor no doubt, isn't going to be 3/4 ton truck worthy at least in comparing to the 3/4 ton diesels now with 650 plus torque.

Also, since they were bought by fiat they may as well use a fiat motor, and imo having a 28mpg half ton diesel with roughly the torque of other half ton trucks is a well played hand. You want more power...then go to their bigger truck with the 6.7 cummins... Pretty sure the Fiat diesel that the 1/2 ton Ram now uses was developed by GM/Cadillac so it is likely a good motor.

As far as Toyota goes...that is still very much debatable. Nobody can say one way or the other with any real facts. On one hand I think it would be odd for Toyota to play seconds to Nissan, but then perhaps they are thinking if they pick it up in a few years many of the bugs should be worked out...

I do say props to Nissan for going for it though. Should be a winner (other than it looks like a ford F150)
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-14-2015, 1:57 PM Reply   
There was a lot more drama in it. From what i got They had said they wanted it and then waited till it was designed ($$$) to be like naa never mind. Not good business practice when cummins is about the only reason people buy big dodge trucks.

Further, a lot of old school people have a really bad taste in their mouth from fiat. The ones I talked to had nothing good to say about what they thought of a dodge having a fiat diesel and were very disappointed
But anyway.

I squeezed it out of a Toyota sales manager that they had told him it was coming but wouldn't tell him when.

Take hat for what it's worth but he was trying to get me to buy a current truck not trying to convince me to wait for the cummins. As in lying that they are getting it to get a possible future sale.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-14-2015, 2:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
I squeezed it out of a Toyota sales manager that they had told him it was coming but wouldn't tell him when.
I would bet nobody that works at a dealership has the slightest clue yet. They may talk but they don't know. When I bought my Tundra last year I didn't want the TRD package and a salesmanager said we could just remove the sticker. My 11 year old daughter nearly burst out laughing.

( I do agree that the motor was originally intended for dodge)
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-14-2015, 2:07 PM Reply   
Some people know what they are talking about and some people dont.
He said they where getting it but no timeline at all.
While the other guy there had no clue what he was trying to sell, that man new every inch of that truck (which you should if it's your job)

It's not evidence but it was just my experience

That's hilarious though on the trd thing
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-14-2015, 3:55 PM Reply   
Yeah - Toyota has been pretty good about keeping whatever plans they have for future Tundra's secret. There is always someone asking on the Tundra forum about the diesel...

Back to the Nissan though...it should be in a class of its own with 500lb/ft of torque and that Aisin Transmission!!! (not to mention hopefully 24mpg's on the highway...and hopefully at highway speeds(70))
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-14-2015, 10:45 PM Reply   
great idea on putting a diesel in a 1/2 ton

Unfortunately the Titan has been a joke of a truck since it came out. Maybe they changed that...

I also think it looks pretty goofy and disproportionate.
Attached Images

Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-15-2015, 6:26 AM Reply   
From early reports the build quality seems very (HD) so I'm really hoping so. They better, that drivetrains gonna make some power!

Agreed on styling, I actually thought originals were much more attractive than this new design
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-15-2015, 8:29 AM Reply   
I thought the new Titan looked ugly in all the early renderings but seeing the real truck in a regular video it became more attractive. I don't really understand the need or want for a diesel in a half ton. I know a half ton diesel has been heavily demanded but I just bought my Tundra this year and considered the diesel Ram. If you are towing something heavy enough to need more torque than what a Tundra or Ecoboost make then you are exceeding what the half ton was meant for. If you want the diesel because of gas mileage it still doesn't make sense because of the cost of the engine option compared to gas. I would also echo some previous comments about the Nissan Titan build/design quality. In past years it has been crappy on that truck. I am actually more interested in what the gas engine os going to be like in this Titan because I don't see myself ever buying diesel and if I do its going to have a 3/4ton badge on it.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-15-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
Ironic to hear the build quality comments. I have 120,000 miles in my Armada and would assume it has comparable build quality and the Titan and have had zero issues with it and because of the way it ties will never own another American made gas tow vehicle. It's fairly simple and bland in interior design and the exterior design is certainly nothing to write home about, but for the size, cost and towing ability I am more than happy with everything else.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-15-2015, 11:26 AM Reply   
I have 190,000 miles on my Titan with very few problems. It has towed my Enzo to Lake Powell (6+ hours with plenty of hills) too many times to count and is also my daily driver. It's been a pretty good truck.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-15-2015, 11:31 AM Reply   
My Titan, although basic compared to the extras on newer trucks, has been rock solid. It was also 10K cheaper than everything else when I bought it.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       10-15-2015, 11:48 AM Reply   
I have had 2 Titans. They both have been awful. The first one was a 04 and had major electrical issues. It went through multiple front ends with only 70k miles on it. My second one is a 12. It needed a new front end at 35 k miles. Needed new rear shocks as well. I do live in a area with lots of potholes , but my wife's 4 runner has been rock solid. I did find that the Titan was under powered for pulling my 210 nautique. I think I would get a dodge Eco diesel with extended warranty before getting anther Nissan. FYI the new guy in charge of Nissan, was the guy that was the president of Chryslers ram brand.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-15-2015, 11:56 AM Reply   
Shockthis, you must have one heavy 210. We used to tow our 232 Rinker and Ebbtide 2600 with a big block with our 2006 Infiniti QX56. The hills of TN would slow the QX down, but it would also slow down the Chevy 6.2 that we replaced the QX with. Nissan did change the brakes and other front end components on the 05 and 06 models across the Titan, Armada, and QX56. Ours war rock solid at 85K when we traded in.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-15-2015, 11:59 AM Reply   
Underpowered with the 5.6? If there is one thing I have never heard about this engine is its under powered. I pull our 210 at Texas highway speeds with no issues. It's made countless 5+ hours trips with the boat behind it and the only thing I've had done to it is a master cylinder about 500 miles ago. But lack of power is one thing I would never cause the Titan 5.6 of, compared to other gas engines of course.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-15-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
I can't wait for the youtube videos of a chipped Nissan Cummins yanking around a Ram Cummins

NISSAN TITAN!! ROLLING COAL BABY!
Attached Images

Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       10-15-2015, 9:26 PM Reply   
Well it is 4000 lbs plus trailer and gear. In Ontario we do have lots of hills, we just moved to Bc and it was a struggle on the big mountian passes. I was living in a rural area , lots of pot holes and gravel roads. I do put my trucks trough a lot. I know that compared to the other trucks I have had, they are not build to handle as much abuse as others. The first Titan I had did have more power as it had dual magnaflo exhaust. If you use your Titian or qx56 as a grocery getter then I am sure they are a great vehicle after 86 k. I am just saying if you actually use your truck they do not hold up as well as others.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-16-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
Why does one by a 3/4 ton truck when you can get a 1 ton for not very much more money? I know the ford 3/4 tons sag pretty bad with a load in the bed or a decently weighted trailer, seems like you can get a 1 ton for just a little more cash and increase you payload considerably.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-16-2015, 7:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
Why does one by a 3/4 ton truck when you can get a 1 ton for not very much more money? I know the ford 3/4 tons sag pretty bad with a load in the bed or a decently weighted trailer, seems like you can get a 1 ton for just a little more cash and increase you payload considerably.
If I remember correct the only difference in most 3/4 ton vs 1 ton trucks (with the exception of a dually) was the springs and that's why prices are nearly the same. I would think ride quality while empty would be the big reason to buy a 3/4 ton vs a 1 ton.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-17-2015, 12:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
Because of ride quality.

I would never get a 1 ton, F250 rides much nicer than F350
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-19-2015, 9:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post
Because of ride quality.
I assume the new Ram's with air ride eliminate that issue???
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-19-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
I assume the new Ram's with air ride eliminate that issue???

Isn't that only offered on 1/2 ton?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-20-2015, 11:31 AM Reply   
They offer it on 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-05-2015, 10:04 PM Reply   
Funny , I have 246,000 on my Titan and I'm still faster then the new 1/2 tons coming out, with just a intake, chip, and exhaust.
I also drive it like a truck but also maintain it.
I tow at 75 + with no issues ( 7000lbs ) except the loss of gas.
Average 16 , 8 towing

The Diesel will fill the gap between the 1/2 tons and the big boys.
I have no need to get a 1 ton that I can't park in the city for work.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-06-2015, 5:43 AM Reply   
I bet money your not faster than all the 1/2 tons LOL.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-08-2015, 4:10 PM Reply   
The one at SEMA looked Very Nice (F-150 knock off interior)
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-19-2015, 8:19 AM Reply   
Toyota TRD is a bad marketing choice. It always makes me think TURD..
Old     (crimson850)      Join Date: Feb 2015       11-19-2015, 9:18 PM Reply   
On the ram air ride..with the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks the airbags completely replace the coil springs. Since 2014 the 2500 rams have rear coil suspension, the 3500 still has leafs so the airbags act as an assist. Ive got a 2015 2500 Cummins and I am happy with the fuel economy, while it will never be what the ecodiesel is, the ecodiesel also doesn't have 800 ft lb of torque (:

Diesel in a half ton should have been done years ago. I think if any of the big 3 had a cummins in the half ton they would fly off the lots, many people leery of the nissan...Hopefully its a good, solid truck!