Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (marorad)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-07-2015, 4:16 PM Reply   
I'm doing a little research on wakeboard towers and would love to hear about your experiences!
I have a few questions which would help greatly on my project, but feel free to add any other information you feel is necessary:

What are some features of wakeboard towers (any manufacturer) you like/dislike?

What features would you like to have on your new tower if cost wasn't an issue?

Do you find raising/lowering a tower bothersome or difficult? Why?

Do you find the tower getting in your way during any activities or preventing you from doing anything? How so?

What aspects of a tower do you find aesthetically pleasing?

Does the type and thickness of material matter to you?

Thank you all very much in advance!
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-07-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
How about you tell us what kind of boat you have and what budget you are considering?

I'd want a tower that folds easily without tools. for an aftermarket tower i'd want it to be compatible with many brands of racks/speakers (not needing special mounts, blocks, etc). Raising lower can stink on certain towers yes.
Old     (marorad)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-07-2015, 4:57 PM Reply   
I work in the industry and am looking for customer/user feedback so we can work on improving our products. This information is vital to creating a better product and experience for all wakeboarders and wakesurfers.
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-07-2015, 5:01 PM Reply   
The mastercraft power tower is the best tower innovation in my book hands down. I just wish the tower itself looked better. I like a nice smooth shape to a tower, like the Malibu ones from illusion x onwards. Not a big fan of tube towers, ones that mount in four completely separate places (lounge and bow) or ones that have an irregular shape to them (newer nautique or supra ones)
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-08-2015, 8:25 AM Reply   
I like the Mc power tower concept as well. Actually don't mind the look at all either.

To me though the best looking towers out there are the ones supra and Nautique are using now! Very very nice looking towers that fold super easy.
I hate forward facing towers in all boats.

Ugliest has to be this order:

MB
Axis
Tige
Bu
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-09-2015, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by marorad View Post
I'd say something that has the easiest up/down of a bimini would be near the top of the list...and speakers or anything else well above the head when standing

Quote:
Although I don't ride at night on my lake having built in lights may be nice. The power tower thing is probably equally high but I never need to lower it currently.

Quote:
I don't find it bothersome or difficult because I never ever raise or lower mine...partially because it would be impossible with nearly 100 pounds of speakers on it and I would need a crane. Both my older Sanger and current Mastercraft are nearly impossible to raise lower due to the weight of them[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Do you find the tower getting in your way during any activities or preventing you from doing anything? How so?
Bimini gets in the way a little getting boards off racks

Quote:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578858
Few boats conjure up the feelings I get when I see one of these bad boys. I think the tower plays into it a lot.

Quote:
Not really
Old     (marorad)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-09-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
Thank you Tim C! Your input is much appreciated!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-09-2015, 9:01 AM Reply   
From a functionality standpoint, I don't see a tower that even comes close to the MC ZFT4.

Folds Easy, and in less than 5 seconds? Check.
Clamping board racks that can even hold extra thick surf boards? Check.
Bimini that can be put in stow position in less than 5 seconds? Check.
Bimini and speakers high enough so that an average height person doesn't whack their head all the time? Check
Prewire for speakers, and lights, with high quality tinned wiring? Check.
Sturdy? Check
Doesn't rattle like crazy in the chop? Check.
Functional, pivoting, go pro mount that looks perfectly OEM and links video to the TS? Check.
Spinning racks will actually spin in with boards on them? Check.
Tower can be folded with the boards still on the racks? Check (most models)
Tower can be locked down, and towed in the down position? Check.
Stores up to 12 wake/surf boards? Check.

Some will argue that they are ugly, but looks are subjective. I wouldn't say that they are the best looking tower, but they aren't the worst. They are, without a doubt, the most functional. That is the most important thing to me. I miss that functionality. I have been researching ways to get some more of it incorporated into the setup on my G.

Last edited by Fixable; 10-09-2015 at 9:05 AM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2015, 9:27 AM Reply   

Pros: Ease of folding, access to board racks, and getting rope attached. Height of tower / speaker placement so I can walk under the tower without mashing my skull. Must fit with the lines of the boat - some towers look forced and ugly

Cons: Too low, PITA to fold down, makes noise / rattles, wobbles at higher speeds without rider (old MC towers), speakers that I can hit my head on.

$$$ not being a thing - quick removal of tower and all accessories. Common wiring plug(s) at base and top for modular addition of extra stuff. Tower could fold partially via switch for going under bridge / low boat lift cover. Bimini that would "roll up" into the tower.... so I could extend an arm or two that it would hook to, then if I didn't want it up it would just roll itself up into the tower's crossbar. LEDs integrated into the frame - RED/Green nav, RGB for party cove, and white forward and back for docking. Hollow compartment in an old Illusion X for basic tool storage would have been great (screwdrivers and etc).

Alone, sometimes, just because I don't want it to drop like a rock and wreck something ... perfect world it would be on a switch, but that is an expense I would rather see in other areas of the boat. Sometimes just the multiple pins / parts can't be done easily by 1 person.

Not really, just the height of some towers + speakers is an issue. Some boats tower mount + windshield placement makes reaching over the side tougher than it should be for the driver. Also older towers without swivel board racks can make tie-ups difficult and/or getting into a boat lift

As long as it fits with the lines of the boat it looks okay.... some boats looks like the tower was an afterthought, and it shows.

Not really, as long as there is data to support it being used without failure.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-10-2015, 2:54 PM Reply   
All the above and designed to keep the tower speakers behind the driver/ observer. Built in led light bars.