Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-08-2015, 5:34 PM Reply   
Not sure exactly when this happened but a week or two ago my buddy noticed a crack in my near the toe of my boot.

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-08-2015, 5:37 PM Reply   
A few more pics..

My guess is that either the laminate cracked or one of the stringers cracked. But the board seems to still have it's pop and soft landings. Could Any body chime in?
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2015, 5:47 PM Reply   
yes but not broken all the way across
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-08-2015, 7:34 PM Reply   
The third pic in your first post, it looks like impact next to the crack. Was it damaged by a handle strike?
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-09-2015, 12:49 AM Reply   
It looks like a handle strike.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-09-2015, 6:29 AM Reply   
Come to think of it, I may have had a few handle strikes to the board. Can a handle strike really cause that kinda damage ?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-09-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
It could. It looks like dirty water to me. Seal that crack up, keep water out and it should be fine - unless it actually is broken... but it doesn't look like the core is broken...
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-09-2015, 9:27 AM Reply   
I would put the board on, then rock back and forth, tail to nose, on grass, trying to pause and balance on tail and nose.

If the side with the crack flexes more than the other side, then yeah its broken.

If it doesn't seem to, then I'd just seal it up and keep riding.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-09-2015, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak4life View Post
I would put the board on, then rock back and forth, tail to nose, on grass, trying to pause and balance on tail and nose.

If the side with the crack flexes more than the other side, then yeah its broken.

If it doesn't seem to, then I'd just seal it up and keep riding.
See if the crack gets bigger too...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-09-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
Warranty it asap. Looks like a handle or a partial span.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-09-2015, 1:41 PM Reply   
Update: she's definitely broken. Shredded the Gnar today and looked closely and found another crack across to the heelside of the board

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-09-2015, 1:43 PM Reply   
Just by looking at the first picks it looked like the core foam was broken. If you need any help with the warranty let me know.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-09-2015, 1:48 PM Reply   
Thanks Andy and I may take you up on that, I got her in October of 14 on ebay but not quite sure if O'Brien will honor a warranty on an item purchased from a non authorized dealer. . .
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-10-2015, 11:07 PM Reply   
I'll be curious to hear about your warranty experience.

I just went through three broken Ronix boards this summer with warranty experience ranging from awesome for two of them, to still TBD on one.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-10-2015, 11:53 PM Reply   
Do you still buying foam filled boards?? Try to change your life for better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfDG3yxvno

Last edited by alexair; 10-10-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-12-2015, 7:25 AM Reply   
Aint nothing wrong with foam fill boards.
Old     (clutchind)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-12-2015, 1:24 PM Reply   
DC,
Shoot Stacie at Obrien an email with a few of your photos, description how it happened, and she'll take care of ya!

stacieb@OBrien.com

-Cheers!
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-12-2015, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexair View Post
Do you still buying foam filled boards?? Try to change your life for better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfDG3yxvno

I was a little confused by your comment but thanks for posting the video. That really cleared it up for me...
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-12-2015, 10:21 PM Reply   
Hey DC,

I've never broke an O'Brien board before, but if I did, I wouldn't be worried since they use closed cell foam, so it's not supposed to get water logged.

Also, Ross just stepped up with who to contact at HQ. I put a couple of my friends who had warranty issues in touch with Stacie and she always did a great job in resolving their issues.

Last edited by ryan_shima1; 10-12-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-12-2015, 10:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thx Alex, but I'm pretty much hooked on the Obrien Wakeboards. The fusion core (now I think called feather core) + delta base (I'm a big believer) + 3 stage = a board fast like a continuous rocker with the 3 stage pop and soft landings.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-12-2015, 10:34 PM Reply   
Thx Andy Ross and Ryan, I'll shoot her an email. Should I get some better photos or are the ones posted good enough to use? And yeah im pretty sure it was from the G23 double ups, never thought I could break an Obrien until I started charging those tsunami swells
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-13-2015, 4:28 AM Reply   
Alex You have no idea what you are talking about
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-13-2015, 4:50 AM Reply   
Lol. You are mistaken.
Old     (clutchind)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-13-2015, 5:04 AM Reply   
Dc the photos you have are plenty. Obrien is still producing the Fusion Core which is combination of foam and wood stringers while the Feather Core is 100% foam construction.

-Cheers!
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-13-2015, 7:34 AM Reply   
Yes, I know you are fan of O'brien & BTW my first board was O'brien http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=53433. OK, if you are so great supporter of O'Brien why you bought this board on Ebay not from official dealer for better support of brand? (I'm now not about money - just about love ) All of these features of board with new base, foam etc. are 98% marketing and do make no any revolution or REAL difference in quality of boards. (crack on your board is proof of my words). Shape - yes, it's first that real difference between boards. But if you wanna see more differences you have to change the core and technology of boards. Foam technology will be alive because it cheap and checked by time China based "money maker". And one more: "+ 3 stage = a board fast like a continuous rocker" - I may be mistaken but I always hear that 3 stage board is more fast in compare with continuous.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-13-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnfightsvn View Post
Alex You have no idea what you are talking about
Who care?
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-13-2015, 7:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
Lol. You are mistaken.
I will be glad to know what kind of foreign language you can fluently to write at least, man.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-13-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
I have no issue with your language. Did I say I did?! You said I may be mistaken but I always hear that 3 stage board is faster than continuous.
You are mistaken. Due to shape the opposite is true. Continuous boards are overwhelmingly known to be faster.

And for the record the crack on a board is not proof that only wooden boards are quality products. All boards break or crack and have issues if you ride them long enough, all of them.

I ride a wooden board. I don't like foam boards overall, but that doesn't make what you said correct.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-13-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yes, I know you are fan of O'brien & BTW my first board was O'brien http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=53433. OK, if you are so great supporter of O'Brien why you bought this board on Ebay not from official dealer for better support of brand? (I'm now not about money - just about love ) All of these features of board with new base, foam etc. are 98% marketing and do make no any revolution or REAL difference in quality of boards. (crack on your board is proof of my words). Shape - yes, it's first that real difference between boards. But if you wanna see more differences you have to change the core and technology of boards. Foam technology will be alive because it cheap and checked by time China based "money maker". And one more: "+ 3 stage = a board fast like a continuous rocker" - I may be mistaken but I always hear that 3 stage board is more fast in compare with continuous.
The 3 stage shape makes it much slower than a continuous. Think of comparing a skateboard deck to a long board deck. And I purchased it thru eBay as an old stock item as it's a 2013 model board. I liked that model years graphics and the price for old stock. Also did said digging and found seller was an authorized dealer before stock was sold off, so hopefully that was a good thing.

Last edited by durty_curt; 10-13-2015 at 9:46 AM. Reason: ..
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-13-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
I think your lost here.....
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-23-2015, 7:11 AM Reply   
Update: thx wakeworld riders and stacie over at Obrien! My replacement board came in the other day! Just in time for this weekends double up comp. That was definitely the fastest warranty turn around time frame that I've experienced

Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2015, 12:11 PM Reply   
Durty-durty,

New board looks sick!

I notice you are in az. Is the double up contest around here
Somewhere? I just moved to mesa.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-23-2015, 12:39 PM Reply   
It's at canyon lake az at 2pm. It's on Facebook. Check out action water sports page and you can see the event info and register for the surf comp or double up comp
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-24-2015, 1:10 PM Reply   
DC, glad to hear you got your replacement board so quickly, but I'm not surprised at the speed and great customer service. O'Brien is second to none IF you even need CS. Good luck in the double up comp!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-24-2015, 10:54 PM Reply   

New .5 Fin will take a little to get used to. But she held up! Unfortunately I couldn't beat the winning TS 900