Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    powerstroke            11-20-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
just bought a 1990 ski supreme with a velvet drive and was curious what kind of fluid it takes and how to change it? also quantity? my boat also has a transmission cooler on it. i dint see any way to drain it. also it has a 5.7l mercruiser in it and need to know how many quarts of oil and what kind of filter it takes. thanks in advance. i will be getting a manual soon. in the meantime i appreciate youir help.

(Message edited by powerstroke on November 20, 2004)
Old    74skier            11-20-2004, 2:08 PM Reply   
dextron for the velvet drive you'll need to pump the old fluid out of the dipstick. the amount of new fluid you put in should be the same as you took out.
Old    powerstroke            11-20-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
2 or 3
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-20-2004, 10:49 PM Reply   
ryan 3 is the new substitute for 2, it is fine to run either of them. the three just has more additives for newer cars.
nate
Old     (kvkev)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-21-2004, 5:30 AM Reply   
Dave's idea to pump the fluid out of the dip stick is the way to go. I addition I pull the plug at the bottom end of the gearbox (output shaft end) and flush the fluid screen. The transmission cooler should be higher than the tranny so it will gravity feed all the fluid back to gearbox when cold.Thats why you always check your fluid level at operating temp. I pull the raw water hose off the input side of the transmission cooler and stick my finger in to check for trapped debris if you don't have a seawater strainer. We board on a river that has alot of small trash in it and clogged my Transmission cooler and overheated the engine. If the cooler is clogged take a coat hanger a carefully loosen the trapped debris. pull the output hose and backflush it with your garden hose.