Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Kyson)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-13-2015, 1:06 AM Reply   
Unexpected dilemma after a weekend boat show (how many times does a new boat story start this way?)

Saw a striking new 2014 X25 and spent some time in and around it (at show only - not on the water).
So now I'm thinking about replacing my perfectly fine and dialed in 2013 A22.

I loved everything about the X excepting the wrap around glass, and I suppose I can get used to that again (I've grown to like the abbreviated windscreen of the Axis). My question is I've never ridden behind an X25 - so can't compare the wakes. We have a regular crew of 6-8 and spend 20% of our time wake boarding, the rest wake surfing. The boats are of similar size and purpose, but fit, finish and quality abounds in the X - I love the interior and the exterior styling even though I believe this hull is nearing the end of its life. I'm not a fan of the "hips" design of the new gen MCs, but one has to consider the depreciation of one of the last non-hip models being phased out.

I'd sure appreciate some feedback from those who have owned or spent time in both the 2013+ A22 and X25. I bought the Axis new and have no complaints - its been a great boat. But I really do like the quality and layout of the MC interior and the concept of the Gen 2 Surf system. I just don't have a sense for whether the performance is different enough to justify what will be a significant upgrade cost.

Thanks in advance!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-13-2015, 2:46 AM Reply   
The 25 is a great boat but if I were surfing that much I'd be looking at a 46 or 30. Also not sure it plays any part in your mentality but believe they are removing the 25 from the line soon.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-13-2015, 3:57 AM Reply   
Judging by their ads, the new X23 is their new Surf Boat, if that is what you are looking for.

However, I would take a MC over an Axis. Much better built boat. Good Luck!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-13-2015, 4:01 AM Reply   
Yea not sure how the 23 slipped my mind. Its an incredible looking ride!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-13-2015, 7:23 AM Reply   
I don't think you would have to worry about the depreciation on the X25. It is a hugely popular boat. Most people really like the "hips", but I don't think that will make any difference on resale on the non-hip models.

X25 wakeboard wake is rampy, with a fairly short transition, and a pronounced lip. It requires very little ballast for wakeboarding compared to the average 22'er. Most riders with strong knees really love the X25 wake. It is really vert, and shoots you up with very little effort. On the other hand, if you have weak, or old knees, it can be a little too abrupt. Most people only use stock hard tank ballast for wakeboarding on a 25. Surfing requires added bags in the back, and usually upgraded ones, from the stock gen2 bags.

X23 wakeboard wake is similar to the X25 wake, but bigger, and has a longer transition. It is not quite so hard on the knees. Same lip on the top. VERY little effort to really get booted.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-13-2015, 9:05 AM Reply   
One advantage to the X25 over the X23 or X46 is you could find a used one to minimize the cost difference between the Axis you're selling and the MC you're buying. I've seen relatively low hour X25s for 65-70 (2011 vintage). Since you say you spend more time surfing, I've heard the 23 and 46 have better surf wakes, but I haven't been on either one to confirm. I've been on the wakeboard wake for the 25 a bunch of times and love love love it. I've only tried the X25 surfing once, but it wasn't a fair review as we didn't have the boat weighted very heavy and it was the first time the owner had tried it surfing (his boat is about 99% wake boarding...).
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-13-2015, 5:08 PM Reply   
Having been in both boats quite frequently I'll give you a breakdown of my thoughts.

Performance wise both have great wakeboarding wakes and above avg surf wakes. The huge advantage of the X25 is it really needs 1/2 the ballast of what the A22 needs. You have to weight the crap out of the A22. When it's dialed its money but it takes some weight. The X25 really barely needs anything over factory. A straight up wake caliber to wake caliber run leaves both equal in my mind. The a22 has bit longer transition, the X25 has more of an abrupt lip.the surf wake pocket on the goofy side is little longer on the a22 with more surfable area, the surf wake on the 25 is bit more steep with a shorter pocket. They are different. I wouldn't say one is better than the other just different feels

The X25 inside is way more refined. You won't find plastic fillers everywhere and you get a ton more bling. The vinyl is definitely a step up if not two even from a newer A22 like you own. The molded top deck gives the 25 a more solid feel across the lake. The deeper v hull(deepest in MC line maybe behind the old csx220) on the 25 really gives you a smooth ride across rough water. The seating is much more comfortable in the X25. Seems like little more responsive of a foam and the ergonomics are bit better.

The A22 advantage has a clean wake al the way down in to the mid teens on the speedo. So if you ride with more of varying abilities this would be a huge selling point. You can really adjust how you weight the boat and make the wake peaky or mellow and really slow the boat down. The X25 wake will not be able to have that adjustment. You need to ride it a bit faster and no matter how you weight it or the speed it's steep and can be intimidating for newbs. However I love that style of poppy wake just bit better Han the 22's. I also like the drivers helm and seat on the A22 much better. It gives you a much more "comp boat" feel and you have great view around everything. It just seemed to fit my 6ft 180 frame perfectly. One final bonus is the A22 has no digital touch screens and all the functions of each accessory have their own dedicated "switch" unlike the X25 which all will run through a touch screen. For me again a huge selling point for the A22.

If you have the funds for the x25 I am sure you won't be disappointed with the boat .its my favorite boat in the MC line. Is it 25k better than an A22? That's up to you to decide. Wakeboard wake head to head and wake surf wake head to head I don't think you can argue on which has a better one. They are both very capable. Might I throw 2 boats at you here that may fit your style little bit better being that you're heavier on the surf side. The Axis T22 with surfgate is an even better choice in the Axis line. I think stacking the T22 vs the 25makes that an even harder choice as the surfwake on the T22 is amazing. Especially with surfgate. The interior of the T22 is also a step up to your 13 A22. It's bit more "BU" like. The X30 will have a much more solid surf wake than your current A22 and the X25. The X30 also has a great wakeboard wake. And I beliwve the 30 isn't far off the 25 in price due to the fact the 30 is a standard bow and the 25 is a pickle.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-13-2015, 5:57 PM Reply   
Oh and btw you can order an MC without the wraparound windshield.

I believe its still called the BTE option
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-13-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
^ Perfect review Swat

just fyi, the x30 is (or at least was last year) 5k less than the X25. Doesn't make much sense to me, being a bigger boat. I think it has to do with the added cost of a PF hull, and the armrests and rear seats on the 25.

Windshield is called BTS. And can be ordered on any of the X series.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-13-2015, 7:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
^ Perfect review Swat

just fyi, the x30 is (or at least was last year) 5k less than the X25. Doesn't make much sense to me, being a bigger boat. I think it has to do with the added cost of a PF hull, and the armrests and rear seats on the 25.

Windshield is called BTS. And can be ordered on any of the X series.

Ahh yes BTS option not BTE

I'd have to agree with you. I think the added costs come into play with the rear transom seats, the armrests, the lounge style bow seats and all the extra hardware associated with those. The X25 has a lot going on where the #0 is more or your traditional design
Old     (Kyson)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-14-2015, 10:19 PM Reply   
Hey thanks everyone for the objective and thoughtful responses. We do have a diverse crew in terms of experience (from teens through late 30s) so the relatively forgiving low speed wake of the Axis has been kind of taken for granted, though most are now boarding in the 20s or surfing. And while the 22 does like weight, everyone likes the wakes it creates. Though I am peripherally aware of the MC lineup, I like pickle forks so kind of zeroed in on the 25 (and now the 23/46). Lots of good comments and a few more things to chew on. I'm going to head by the shop and look at the 25 and 23 up close this weekend, and perhaps take one out. The upgrade cost is closer to 50k so just need to determine if we like it that much more.

Thanks again.
Old     (TRobb)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-15-2015, 1:54 PM Reply   
You'll be paying a huge $$$ upgrade to get into the MC, especially if you dive into a X23. In my opinion worth it but I don't know what your cash situation is. If you have the Benjamin's to lay down on a X23 it would be worth your time to drop into some of the other premium brands dealerships (MB, Tige, Sanger) to see what they have on the lot.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-15-2015, 5:45 PM Reply   
Remember that part of the 50K upgrade cost you mention is really a premium you're paying to go from a used boat to brand new. You could cut that in half if you were willing to get an X-25 with roughly the same amount of hours as the A22 you're selling. A quick peek at Onlyinboards, there are several 2013 X-25s with asking prices below 75K where the A22 asking prices start at around 50K. If you're an aggressive negotiator and good salesman, maybe you can cut that gap significantly by finding a good deal on the X-25 and do a good job holding a good price for your A22. No matter how you cut it, you clearly will be paying a material premium to swap boats, however. It's worth it if you forever more look at your A22 and keep wishing it was something else. Not worth it if you still love your A22 and can put your affair with MC behind you.