Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-09-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
Dominik Guers just landed the a crow 540 on cable & we got it on camera.
Since he was the first to land it on the cable over 3 yrs ago he gets to name it & has called it the Dominator.
He hasnt landed it since then until today when he tried 3 & landed 2,we filmed the 2nd one he landed today.
He arrived here at cwc 2 days ago & about an hour ago he tried one & stuck it first attempt,so a mate "Martijn Hoogeveen"whipped his camera out & Dominik tried 2 more & stuck the second one which we have on film.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=max2Hc1pjmE
There is lots of riders arriving daily at the moment from all around the world for worlds in a couple of weeks & from the riding on the water at the moment its going to be another crazy competition & some sic free riding over the next couple of weeks.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-09-2009, 10:22 PM Reply   
That's not a new trick, that's an eggroll 5.

(Message edited by luke_j on March 09, 2009)
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-09-2009, 10:58 PM Reply   
if it's a crow 5 shouldn't it be a crow five, since they named a frontroll to revert a scarecrow many years ago anyway why another name? quit it with names.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2009, 11:12 PM Reply   
totally agree with Tom D this name thing is so confusing. its a crow 5.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-09-2009, 11:13 PM Reply   
air crow is an eggroll
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-09-2009, 11:25 PM Reply   
sounds like it would be an air crow
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-09-2009, 11:47 PM Reply   
I landed a 360 being pulled by a winch... I'm calling dibbs and naming it. The Shaqtus. (anyone see that commercial, it is soooo funny)

... and its still a crow.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-09-2009, 11:56 PM Reply   
Man I bet your shaqtus is so good!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-10-2009, 12:01 AM Reply   
phillip soven landed a tantrum to blind: inside the wake - out. He calls it the typhoon. We'll see how long that name sticks around. Along with the dominator...
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-10-2009, 12:08 AM Reply   
dc, pretty sure that was bob.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-10-2009, 12:28 AM Reply   
Lol! My bad, Let me just put some white-out over that(phillip). Annddd there we go! Yeah like I said: Soven landed a tant..... (lol)
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2009, 2:51 AM Reply   
The video you have requested is not available.

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-10-2009, 3:16 AM Reply   
Alright if I do an ollie on the left side of the wake, its called the Triple Factor Deluxe, and if I do it on the right side of the wake, its called Air Thruster Deluxe, and if I do it inbetween the wakes, its called an Ollie Deluxe.

Got it?
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2009, 4:05 AM Reply   
These names are stupid, just call them them by there normal ones. People from other sports have a hard enough time trying to figure out what the hell we're doing anyways with our moves so might as well stop making them even more confused haha. Plus THE DOMINATOR just kind of sounds lame.

Its still a cool move though dont get me wrong.

(Message edited by captain_vilfo on March 10, 2009)
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2009, 5:22 AM Reply   
Whatever it's called I'm sure the guy is stoked, props to him and thanks for posting Reuben.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
Sounds like a lame amusement park ride. Cool trick through..props.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
Thanks guys,this website is really well known for people like u guys who like to police the site & burn people like myself & tell everyone what is cool & what is not cool & what we can & cant do.
Just one question what about tricks like the skeezer(switch crow mobe)shouldnt you tell the guy who named that that he is wrong isnt it the same thing??Why call the S bend to revert a vulcan???And i know there is other tricks that have different names if landed switch or if landed on cable,maybe you can help me out.
Just incase u guys have never ridden cable maybe u dont realise that it is very different to riding the boat.And some tricks are much harder to do on cable & some tricks are harder to do on boat,for example how many people do u know who land front 2 blinds or blind judges or S 2 blind on boat & on the cable every second average rider lands these tricks with there eyes shut.Not many cable riders land tantrum 2 blind on the cable but its a very basic trick on the boat.
In the past many tricks have got names even though snow boarders had been doing the same trick years before & had given it a different name.
There is other tricks landed on cable like the Nickelodeon(some people want to call it a 315)& the ABC (KGB5) shouldnt that be called a back roll 2 blind 5?? where are we gonna stop guys.
Why dont you guys get your heads out of your computers & stop telling us what we can & cant do & show the guy some love.
What happened to encouragement guys, i was warned not to join this site because of guys like you.Im not trying to take anything away from boat riding because it is sic & i have huge respect for boat riders.
But cable is different & in the past if you land a trick that hasnt been done before(in this case it hadnt been done on cable) u get to choose whether to name it or not,whether u like it or not.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
my logic is since you stated
"...land front 2 blinds or blind judges or S 2 blind on boat & on the cable...Not many cable riders land tantrum 2 blind on the cable..."
all these tricks that are done on a cable that have the same exact name as on a boat... why can't they all. It seems weird to cut wakeboarding in half as far as terms go just because where it is done (enter Bill, because cable wakeboarding isn't wakeboarding....)

Like the ABC (KGB5) isn't a back roll to blind 5, its a KGB5.

Any move that has been named boat/cable/whatever that has its name because of a specific set of spins/flips/grabs/ etc etc should be called that same name no matter where it is done...
e.i. - a backroll on the boat is a backroll on the cable, is a backroll in asia, is a backroll in mexico.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 6:01 AM Reply   
Calm down, Everyone was stoked on the trick. I think people are just sick of people trying to rename things.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
So answer my question why is it ok to name the crow mobe a skeezer just because it is landed switch??And why is it ok to call it a KGB when they could of just called it a back roll to blind 5.
Why do u guys care if it has a different name on cable?
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
hey guys its Dean Lavelle sitting here next to Reuben and I would like to add that the first person that has landed a new trick gets the opportunity to name and I must say I have been the first to do some switch versions of tricks in the past and I am very sad that did'nt name them to immortalize it.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
also one of the people starting the name switch tricks different names was Scott Byerly and again these are the guys that made the new tricks so let them have there glory. I believe they have earned it. Dean L
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
Its not ok to call a switch crow mobe a skeezer. It just sounds retarded. If I had gotten on the boat after wakeboarding in front of my friends who dont understand it as much and said, "YOU SEE THAT AWESOME SKEEZER?" they'd think I was dumb for using that. A switch frontroll 3 is much easier to understand and just a little harder to say but makes it sounds so much better.

This is all my opinion by the way. LIke I said earlier super cool trick just stupid name.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
Although I do believe that those who landed tricks with lame names have a right to name them. They're doing work and deserve the credit. Its just my own opinion to call it by a relatively easy name from people who dont go wakeboarding to understand

(Message edited by captain_vilfo on March 10, 2009)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
There are the basic set of tricks that have their names.... most flips/flips+180's/flips+360's which have been named for a long time. Now that those have been established for sometime (clearly they were weird names when they came out...but 10/15 years ago they needed names) it isn't weird to say Crow5, Moby dick 5, whirly 5 etc etc or just say switch Crow 5 etc etc.

Skeezer is stupid, its the same trick but switch and I RARELY hear it called out in comps or anything....

It is a cool trick that he landed, props to him... but it is a trick that has been done 1,000 times on he boat and off kickers... If I go stop a Crow 5 off a kicker can I rename it?
If I do a Crow 5 off of a rail can I rename it?
If I do a Crow 5 off a roller/1wake can I rename it?

If everytime a trick was landed with a slight variation there would be 1,000's of stupid names floating around. Phil S. didn't give the Crow 720 a fancy name, danny harf didn't name is 1260 something new...

I also think renaming trick because you do a different grab is un-needed (Ricky G's Indy Pete has a new name.... but it is just an Indy Pete), unless the grab is the basis of the trick (OHH - Hoochie - Batwing - etc etc)

Oh BTW, Obama is here with me, and he Veto's this.
-Obama
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-10-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
I feel the core issue here is not simply giving the trick a new name. I think the issue is giving it an incredible stupid name. Dominator? really?
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       03-10-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
so, whats up with the link, I would still like to see the vid?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-10-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
I gotta say it is just a crow 5. It is not a new trick even if it is done on cable. The purpose of our sport is to interconnect cable and boat riding as just one sport, wakeboarding. The tricks should all the be the same name.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-10-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Well if we are re-naming stuff.... This isnt me, but ive done this before.... I'm gonna name it the Houdini - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qPPrvCgFDA

Just because of the effect of the trick.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
I always write long-winded responses about how silly discussions like this are. Not today.

^^^^oh, and BTW Brett B., that last trick you are talking about is called a Hip-Hop, i invented it in 1995 and I have it on Beta to prove it. You read correctly, I invented Hip-Hop.
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
yeah unless its a new rotation that hasn't been done, there is no reason to name a trick diferrent because it was done on a cable or a winch. even though some people will call a trick a skeezer, its still a switch crow mobe and thats how most people will call it. if you really get to "name" tricks because the pull is different, then everyone should go out winching and start renaming all the current tricks when they do them off drops or ramps
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
So i am confused the trick has a name and your renaming it? because you are??????? Shaun Murray Didn't even name this trick when he first landed it (SHAUN…….. MURRAY…………...) it was a crow 540 and he called it what it was. hint hint be an ambassedor of the sport.

What do you call a half cab roll on a cable? Half cab roll right? which "half cab" came from Steve Caballero (skateboarder) who did a switch air 180 and named it "half a cab" so any trick switch and landing regular is "half cab" it translated sport to sport you throw in a roll BAM "half cab roll" right? You throw in an Indy grab BAM "Indy half cab" it translates to wakeboarding behind a boat and a Cable, besides degree of difficulty behind the cable what makes the crow 540 on the cable worthy of renaming history and confusing the hell out of everyone. STOP THE MADNESS.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-10-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
jim, actually shaun named the air scarecrow an eggroll. Its and Eggroll 5!!!! Kris Back me up here!!!
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
So would a switch eggroll 5 be a SKEEZER EGGROLL 540?

Just call it a ts frontroll 5 or a crow 5.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-10-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
IIRC, the skeezer was landed BEFORE a regular crow mobe, by Scott Byerly, and was thus named.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
this is starting to remind me of some of the roads in certain places... you know the ones that are named by number and s, n,e,or w? BUT then a few random ones have name names AS WELL like "freedom street" or some other random thing. then there is all sorts of confusion when looking it up and such
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Jim, actually wakeboarders and snowboarders cant do cabs. I know this has been said millions of times before but a half cab is not a switch 180. a cabalarial is a FAKIE 360. which means you are in a switch stance but pop of your nose(which would be your dominate foot because you a switch). and since you can not pop off the nose of the board on water there is no cabs or other fakie. off boxes is a different story.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-10-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
WHO REALLY GIVES A RATS A$$ ABOUT ANY OF THIS????I'm just glad that a young 20 something kid (nick t) is such an authority on EVERYTHING wakeboarding. We should all listen to him and every other expert on this forum that pretends to talk crap as they are in the know. Maybe experts on here should grow the sport rather than bashing the people on here enjoying it
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
I can't get the video to play.

(Message edited by pnichols on March 10, 2009)
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-10-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
Oh great here's "call everyone out for posting and not riding guy"
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-10-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
No but read these discussions. They are totally negative. Everyone is a self proclaimed expert.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
OK mr expert on being an expert. Your expressing your opinion we are expressing ours, just chill.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
You guys should go on one of the snow board forums & tell them that they should call a rodeo roll a mobe because wakeboarders did it first or is it the other way round??
Anyway u guys really missed the point i wanted to make with this footage,whether u like the name or not call it what u want,but my point was,check it out,it is sic & show the guy some love for the trick whether u like the name or not.
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
so bottom line, awsome job dude landing this move for the first time on the cable. My vote is NO on new name. What do the pros think about there tricks being renamed, what an insult. Very entertaining topic.
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
so is the dominator possible behind the boat?
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
Oh & thanks Jim T for your words of wisdom & i like your personal quote from your profile which says:
"We are all now much dumber for having heard that"
But i did get scared when i saw your profile picture lol.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-10-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
Does anyone actually have a video link that works? I need to see the Dominator before providing my expert opinion!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
Here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=max2Hc1pJmE

Jeff Weatherall landed one behind the boat in competition last weekend & won the NZ nationals. Silly good.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
Dean Lavelle here again tell Obama sitting next to you I said high five and kick butt today. I was driving the boat when shaun M made the egg roll and correction it is a air scarecrow not 540 and I was driving the boat when he made the eggdrop air crowmobe. Anyways I am done reading this stuff you guys enjoy your talk and expressing your opinions. I am going to go do one of the things I love, is to do the sports not sit and chat about it. All you guys that are bashing the naming thing. If it makes you happy then go for it. I personal give congratulations to everyone who has landed something first and if they want to name it more power to them. and I do skeezers almost everyday in my ride and I call it that.... my friends still like me so what ever! I also do slurpy's too I hate the name but Zane named it and I honer that. Okay with that the cable is starting soon I'm going riding. hehehehe
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
hsryan33, the way I understand it, YES the dominator could theoretically be done behind the boat. It would need to be done without the assistance of the wake and Im not sure if that would be physically possible.

My logic is based on the bel-air. This is an air tantrum (back flip) that can be done on cable or the boat, but without the use of the wake.

Does anyone agree or disagree?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Hard to grow the sport in 15 degrees with a foot of snow on the ground...

never claimed to be an expert... but please pick apart my logic and tell me where I am wrong.

In the description on youtube it is CALLED A CROW 540!!!!! HELLO! Why is that not good enough.
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
im way confused now reuben(dean). do all the tricks have a different name if done on the cable or only ones from this point on? from my point of view, whoever landed a pete rose first on the cable shouldn't get to rename it. thats too many names to remember also.
Old     (texasskiranch)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-10-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Wow this is a pretty hectic discussion, I most definitely do not want to take either side to this argument but props to Dominik for sticking it. I still would like to see the video since it doesnt show up if you get the chance Reuben. I can't wait to be out there in a week in a half since I have been so antsy sitting in school everyday hearing about new tricks. however though, I definitely agree that Dominik was the first to land it if he did it 3 years ago but there are others who did that trick last year off of the water...........more then 2
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Dean Lavelle here again tell Obama sitting next to you I said high five and kick butt today. I was driving the boat when shaun M made the egg roll and correction it is a air scarecrow not 540 and I was driving the boat when he made the eggdrop air crowmobe. Anyways I am done reading this stuff you guys enjoy your talk and expressing your opinions. I am going to go do one of the things I love, is to do the sports not sit and chat about it. All you guys that are bashing the naming thing. If it makes you happy then go for it. I personal give congratulations to everyone who has landed something first and if they want to name it more power to them. and I do skeezers almost everyday in my ride and I call it that.... my friends still like me so what ever! I also do slurpy's too I hate the name but Zane named it and I honer that. Okay with that the cable is starting soon I'm going riding. hehehehe
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
I dont know why that last message came up again??
Yes i admit that is a Good point hsyran33 there is so many tricks that i dont know the name of because its hard to remember all the names i agree.
I didnt always know that a switch crow mobe was a skeezer but if i said switch crow mobe people new what i was talking about,& those in the know know what a skeezer is to.
One day when someone says whats a dominator(named after his name Dominic) i will say crow 5 on cable,whether u like it or not,it will always your choice what you choose to call it.
This name just gives props to the guy who first stuck it on cable.
Why do we name any trick??? why dont we just call them buy there boring names like toe side front flip with a front side 540 rotation?? i dont know but anyway im gonna go ride & try to stick one my self.
Hey whats up Tom,cya here soon bro,me & Nick are gonna go out know & try & stick the trick again,i almost got it yesterday,landed on the board rope in hand & just kooked it,so you will have to do them with us when u get here.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
Yes i admit that is a Good point hsyran33 there is so many tricks that i dont know the name of because its hard to remember all the names i agree.
I didnt always know that a switch crow mobe was a skeezer but if i said switch crow mobe people new what i was talking about,& those in the know know what a skeezer is to.
One day when someone says whats a dominator(named after his name Dominic) i will say crow 5 on cable,whether u like it or not,it will always your choice what you choose to call it.
Why do we name any trick??? why dont we just call them buy there boring names like toe side front flip with a front side 540 rotation?? i dont know but anyway im gonna go ride & try to stick one my self.
Hey whats up Tom,cya here soon bro,me & Nick are gonna go out know & try & stick the trick again,i almost got it yesterday,landed on the board rope in hand & just kooked it,so you will have to do them with us when u get here.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-12-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
You guys forgot to clear it with this guy...Mariusz 'The Dominator' Pudzianowski.

Upload
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       03-12-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
Seriously... Go Ride!
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-12-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Hey Reuben did you get my PM?
Scott
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-12-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Im pretty stoked went straight out after this last post 2 days ago & managed to ride away with 2 of them.
They werent as pretty as Dominiks ones but ill get there.