Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-14-2018, 7:42 PM Reply   
Ok...so I probably have to go to Germany for a couple yrs. I really don’t want to sell my boat. Im not convinced my wife will let me buy another one this nice and I’d hate to get back in say June and screw around finding a boat until July or August.

What are your thoughts on long term storage? Anything special I need to do besides a really through winterization. Or should I just say screw it, sell it and buy a “new” one when I get back? It’s a 2016 Z3.

The numbers say sell and buy again but I really like my boat.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-14-2018, 7:57 PM Reply   
Ideally I'd try to find a really trustworthy friend that could take the boat out on the water a few times a year. Much better imo then letting it sit for 2-3 years. And when it's stored, make sure it's well ventilated.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-15-2018, 5:42 AM Reply   
SELL SELL SELL

Unless it's paid off. If your payment is a low 600 a month that's 14,400 you'll payout for something you can't use or even see. Unless you get a web cam for it LOL. Take that 14,400 and put it towards the next boat.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       02-15-2018, 6:42 AM Reply   
If you are gone for 2-3 yrs.....you will lose a lot of depreciation that you will not be able to recover on a 2016 Its a hard decision, but its not gonna hold value. I think your only option is too sell and get as much as possible and then buy again, otherwise you come back to a nice boat, but one that is worth 10-15k less than when you left not to mention potential issues from it sitting that long. If it were older, probably different story, but a 2016.....cant see that coming out in your favor and you have to consider the fact that economy may be in totally different place in 2-3yrs which in a worst case scenario, could further depreciate the value and make it so you cannot even sell then if you had too. You have to look at this unemotionally, I know I get attached to my boats.
Sounds like you are not sure if trip may only last a couple months, or couple years. Would be a very hard call for me too but if good chance it will be a while, I would sell her. Good luck man
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-15-2018, 8:54 AM Reply   
Yeah....I've been doing the numbers as well

I got a super sweet deal from my brother when I bought it so didn't have to finance much and will be able to sell it for more than I paid for it, even though I'll end up putting 200hrs on it.

It's just kinda messing with my head because 9/10 times it seems like its better to buy and hold. Especially when I bought something a lot lower than market even after the initial depreciation hit.

I do kinda like the "good friend" option and I actually have someone that would probably work really well with. Just throw it in his garage, let him put 40hr per year on it as long as he gets all the maintenance done. He is a dentist and takes pretty good care of things so it's not like I'm loaning it out to my motorcyle racer buddy.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2018, 9:15 AM Reply   
for a boat that new, only makes sense to sell. stick any equity in the bank (in separate account!) and add to it while you're away. 2016 z3s will be much cheaper when you get back, if that boat still catches your eye.

get said buddy to pay you a little cash and that option might make sense
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-15-2018, 9:29 AM Reply   
Numbers come out $10-20K in my favor by selling. Which will leave me with the choice when I get back to:

1) Pay cash for essentially the same boat I have now
2) Finance $30K and get a used GS22

I am almost certainly going to sell. It's just such a sweet boat that it's hard to give up a sure thing. Maybe I'm a boat hoarder.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       02-15-2018, 3:28 PM Reply   
1 option would be to sell it and put the cash you end up with, after you pay off the small financed amount, in a safe investment that will earn you interest....so when you buy that GS22 (or whatever), will cost you less than $30k...obviously you will figure out what is best for you. Nice when you can put 200hrs on a boat and sell for more than what you paid, I was also able to do that on my last boat and was stoked about it. Rarely works out that way. When you come back, if timing works out right.... you can buy during winter when you get best deal too and do well again.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-15-2018, 5:04 PM Reply   
Sell it and put the cash in an investment for 2 years.

Gain 10% and buy a better boat when you get back.

You’re welcome.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-15-2018, 5:15 PM Reply   
Sell it. Boats are everywhere. Dime a dozen. Grab one dead of winter upon return and get a deal. Sell this one in spring for the seasonal gain!

I am not one that gets attached to material items. Switching them up is fun too!
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-15-2018, 5:15 PM Reply   
Like almost everybody said.. sell could be the best option.. hard decision for sure! But many points to consider.
You love your boat now but boat market is in constant evolution.. and boat owners constantly change too.
These days it’s a matter of year. Every brand change their models almost each 2years. And owners are generally changing their boat after 4years.

So coming back in 3 years and seeing all these new 2021 models could change your opinion about how beautiful your is haha..
Ending up with more problems than solutions. Trying to sell it after few summers after your return. Not many hours on the clock but it’s still a 2016 in 2022 2023.. a boat you buyed new, not used it and lost so much.

Like D said you have a chance that not so much have, sell a boat higher than the price you paid.. you should REALLY consider it lol. And for me with that kind of chance that would be the thing that confirm my decision.
And if your so in love with your z3.. you gonna be so in love with the 2020 z3 lol. Or you could even bought a used 2016 z3 like yours the fraction of the price you sold it.
Keeping it and store it for a long time seems the worste option for you.. rust, many issues could happen.
And passing it to a friend can be a little bit risky too. And buying a boat for a friend is not very my kind haha..
I know if it were me I would always be on panic if my boat is ok!

Having your boat money in hand can be a really good cashdown on a boat with new technologies and better than this one.
And buying a new boat is pretty fun isn’t it!? Haha
(Love your idea about changing for a Nautique tho.. hahaha just joking. But sure they are pretty sick boats, imagine in 4years.)

Last edited by Mike88; 02-15-2018 at 5:17 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-15-2018, 5:22 PM Reply   
Ok...thanks for the advice. It fits what I was thinking. No matter how I run the numbers or look at it, I’m better off selling this summer.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-17-2018, 3:30 AM Reply   
Sell and put all the money into crypto
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-18-2018, 5:56 PM Reply   
Not all but that's what I would do!
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-19-2018, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
Sell and put all the money into crypto
Crypto tech has value. The acctually coins themselves, not so much. People seem to have confused this, which is how we got into this bubble.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       02-20-2018, 2:36 PM Reply   
Just remember when you get back Boats will be starting at $200k . Every year they go up 50k it seems like .