Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
I see a lot of postings where people get new boats every year. I am wondering how this is possible without taking a huge loss the next year when selling your boat in order to get a new year model. The only idea I have is that the purchase is done in cash so you can negoatiate a good deal that would absorb the depreciation over the year?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-15-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
they work out a dealer with the manufacturer or the dealer and get it on heavy discount and be their "spokesperson" for the year - horking the product every chance they get..

You know who they are.. They buy them cheap, sell them flush or only a slight loss and do it again next year..

Imagine how many people have at least considered looking at an Axis this year because of the incessant chattwake posting? While it's horribly obnoxious, it's certainly effective.. And yes, he will come in here and say he doesn't get a deal on his boats, he has no affiliation with his dealer or any dealer or any brand and that he just buys them right and sells them right, he'll also mention he's an attorney by day as if that would have something to do with his boat purchases and affiliations.

He's just the obvious example since he can be found in any boat thread pushing this years brand of choice. Lots of guys do this.. Easy way to get a new boat and push a brand you believe in.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-15-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff!

In actuality, I did get a great deal on an Axis this past year. My local dealer hooked me up, in part, because I've got a big crew of friends that like to ride who also buy boats every year or so. Also, I'm willing to help out with local events and such, when asked. However, I also was getting my Nautique's at cost for the past 3 years. If I had wanted to, I could have gotten a CC or MC this year again at cost. I've got great local dealers, who all like to have boats on the water in this area getting seen and ridden behind. I chose to go with an Axis because, I really liked the boat and thought it was a great value.

Because the boats I choose to buy every year tend to hold their values, I usually end up breaking even by the time I order a new boat, and whoever buys the boat I sell ends up getting a pretty darn good deal. It's no secret. I've always been very open about the fact that I get deals on my boats.

I try not to be too obnoxious, but I guess you can't please everyone! Yes, when someone asks questions about an Axis, I will try to respond because I'm familiar with the A22 and A20 and try to pass along information and insight. That's the beauty of forums. They can provide a wealth of information to those looking for it. It's not like I start new threads all the time, and when I do post stuff, it's usually in response to questions people post regarding, "how to weight the A22 for surfing", or "what are the 2012 model year changes", or "what prop works well with the 335 or raptor", or "what pnp bags work well" etc.

Hey, at least I don't post pictures of my boat all the time! Heeeyyyy Yoooo!
Old     (ckdollar)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-15-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
More pics imo
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-15-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hey, at least I don't post pictures of my boat all the time! Heeeyyyy Yoooo!
Haha... I coulda swore you had a blue tige
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-15-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
I personally don't see an issue with Chattwake posting about his Axis. People are asking questions and he is answering from experience of having one. Maybe it's the fact that he is on here quite a lot that make's him the prodominant one posting on Axis but so what.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
Horking the product every chance they get??? Geez, why is it such a big deal to talk about boats in a boats forum? If you don't want to hear about people's experiences with boats, then don't hang out in a forum called "Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles".

Some guys have managed to become a promo owner of some kind. The few guys I've met who have done it buy the boat at a price break, then they are obligated to do a certain number of events to show off the boat. Sometimes the boat is just on display, other times it's the tow boat for the event, or it's one of the boats used at a boat show, etc. I know Malibu used to be a lot more open about doing these deals & is much less into it now days. My brother did it one time in 2003, but hasn't been able to get it done since. Could be because of the area he's in (Cali) or whatever.

I think Diggs manages to do it every few years. And while he does talk about his experiences with Supra & the various boats he's owned, I never thought it came across like "horking" & have no idea if he's a promo owner or not. He has some experiences with his boats that occasionally he can pass on to others.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-15-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   

Oh, and to the OP's question, a lot of dealers also do a "demo" setup, where people essentially get loaned a boat to use for a season. Lots of times, demos are given to ski clubs, wakeboarding schools, or local guys who are really really good and ride a lot of tournaments. Demo boats are just turned in at the end of the season and the dealer blows them out cheap.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-15-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I personally don't see an issue with Chattwake posting about his Axis. People are asking questions and he is answering from experience of having one. Maybe it's the fact that he is on here quite a lot that make's him the prodominant one posting on Axis but so what.
Exactly. Axis has an insane buzz on here....it's only natural for him to chime in. There is a lack of "buzz" (interest) for other brands where those owners post obnoxiously however.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-15-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
I will admit, i hork MBs
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-15-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
I've got no problem with anyone affiliated with a boat company answering questions about a boat. I would much rather prefer to get answers from someone familiar with a product than be limited to magazines and manufacturer brochures.

If Axis, Tige, Moomba, Epic, or MC is doing something that you think is cool. Tell people about it, because thats what I would like to hear. Seems like there are enough threads asking about fat sacs, what color neon lights to put on their boat, or whos speakers sound the loudest. I'd prefer real content please.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-15-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
chattwake,
i want to buy ur 2015 boat...ive got dibbs haha!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-15-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
I get a new boat every year or at least try to. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not. I usually get a Supra, but have had other brands too. I cheated on Supra a few years ago with a Malibu, but came back to Supra. Yes I get a good deal when I buy my boat and in reciprocation I try to support my local dealer and the brand boat I buy. I have also bought many new boats from Supra and my dealer, so they still make their money on me and I want them to. I support them and their business and want them to be profitable to stick around and support me. I try not to spew tons of propaganda, but give real fair and honest impressions with my boat. I also try and answer peoples questions when they are considering a Supra and get many PM's to discuss. I just love all these boats and love chatting about them, so I am always happy to do comparisons for people. I have been super happy with Supra and with my local dealer, so I have continued to support them and will continue to do so. I don't keep cars long either so many think I am crazy, but it is fun for me.

To the OP - Sometimes dealers will actually give you a better deal if you finance cause they can get a cut on the back end. Don't get hung up on if it is a cash deal or a finance deal. I would suspect you can get the same deal. They certainly like cash, cause they don't have to worry about you getting finance approval though.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-15-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
lol @ anyone being "defensive" about chattwake.. It's effective - 1000%.. And yes, it's obnoxious. But I read every single post he makes about them, would consider purcashing one largely due to the support on this forum and have no general problem with ANYONE "pushing" their brand..

Of course WW is full of Captain-Save-A-Hoes who automatically have to white knight when someones name is mentinoed. It was the perfect example because chatt was the "last poster" on the top 3 threads at the time I made my post and all were about Axis..

Seems like most people are doing the same thing. I can't hate on that! And I don't even mind Roberts Tige pics. I love boats - why would I not want to see more pics/uses/lifestyles of them?
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
@Jeff, hahahaha. That last post made me laugh.

I will say I like guys like Chatwake that post info, it's what the forums are for. Being a Nautique guy I first starting reading his posts on PN. Since switching to Axis from Nautique, I've seen guys bash him for buying a lesser boat. Everyone has a right to buy what they want and to say an A22 is less of a boat then a 230 for him and what he does is much more obnoxious than info and pics about new boats, regardless of the brand.

I push Nautique not because I have a stake in the dealer or the company but because I like the product, company, and my dealer. Not an attorney so I'm a new boat every two to three year type guy =). Sure it costs me money but you pay to play. We have a 2012 Coastal Edition 210 on order and I'm surely post pictures in the 2012 thread once we take delivery.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-15-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
^^ only post 3 pictures of the WW E-vestigation team will be upset about seeing it too often..
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-15-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
One thing I like about WW is unlike the manufacture specific sites like Planet or Crew at least you are exposed to some variety of opinions. I can tell who's not a lemming becase they fight to the death instead of jumping.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-15-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
People hork boats?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-15-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
The WW regulars like Diggs, Ian, Chatt, etc. are an asset to the community.

Diggs helps me a ton here in Portland and almost got me into a Supra this year.

Likewise, Ian and I have traded several emails and pm's on the MB's I've owned. He runs the MB forum, which is one of the most well behaved forums I've ever been a part of.

Even though I originally had a poor opinion of Axis, Chatt has helped changed that over the past year. His posts are numerous and long, and yet I read every one of them.

So count me as a guy who likes the new-boat-every-year guys. I think they contribute a lot, and all seem to be courteous of other brands while educating us on theirs.

Honestly, I look forward to the threads where these guys announce their new boats each year... It's like my annual boat fix!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-15-2011, 12:38 PM Reply   
I am on my 2012 Epic 23V and also post alot about them and the company. I don't see why people would hate on someone talking good about their boat and their experience with a company. I too have a great relationship with some people at Epic and seem to get a good deal. I sold my 2011 and will sell my 2012 (actually for sale now) and buy a 2013. I got the first one off the line (2011 and 2012) so get to use them and still sell them for what I have in them (I hope) and do it all again next year. I too make the next person a good deal so that I can get into a 201? model. So why hate??
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-15-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
Old     (masterDraft)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-15-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
i personally place a little more value on the opinions of "regular" boat owners vs. the [brand'] "horks", only because i feel the "horks" tend to dismiss some of the boat's negatives (i know this is not everyone, just a general statement). as someone else already pointed out, wakeworld is not a brand-specific site like teamtalk or planetnautique. my challenge to all the boat "horks" on the site....every so often share what you don't like about your brand (i understand many of you do already) and please don't hijack other threads that are completely unrelated to your brand.. just a sort of balance, because as anyone can admit, there is no perfect boat.

i also want to thank each of the "horks" that share their time & opinion, especially those of you that i am sure are contacted to provide a demo. i am here because I love boats/boating/boarding and appreciate everyone's opinions.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-15-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
lol @ all of the Defensive Denises in this thread
Old    ScottRobinson            08-15-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
Dave, just for you I will post a pro and con on Epic tomorrow and will be completely non bias. I think most of use who "hork" as everyone calls it try hard to tell everyone the positives for sure, but most of us if asked will for sure tell you what we don't like as well. Again to each their own, and I don't bash any other brands, but I bought my boat (EPIC) ...(yes that was a plug) because of the things I liked not because of the dislikes.
Old     (masterDraft)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-15-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
thanks scott. think that is the first time you've mentioned your boat without provide the year & model

please do not read my last comment as negative. i was using a brush to paint general thoughts/feelings.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-15-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
Nah Dave...all good. Us "Horkers" usually like to spit our rides that is for sure. Never ment to offend anyone, sway anyone or belittle another person or boat. Bottom line is a boat that floats and is out on the water doing what you want it to do with you and your family is boat enough for me! As you can tell I am proud of my boat to say the least as are most people of any new toy they buy. Might come accross bad at times, but that is never the intention.
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-15-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
Most guys I know that boat up every year either work at the dealership full or part time or drive and demo for the manufacturer. I know of a few guys in both situations that do this with MC. The trick is to know one of them and buy their old boat every year. Good deal passed down.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input.. I was just wondering after seeing Chatt's boat and that he is already selling it. Boat looks great... its nice to have a place to come read the input on most of the boats that are out there. I dont think its a problem if you are really happy with a product to try and sell others on it based on your personal experience. If anything it helps someone get some straight answers on the boat instead of having to refer to the sales associate from a particular manufacturer. Now if I can just get a new year model boat and happily post about it then maybe I can get a deal. - just a joke. Dont want to start a hate session.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       08-15-2011, 7:01 PM Reply   
Chatt has always provided sound advice and good comments when someone asks about Axis or Nautique. Scott, on the other hand, tries to pimp epic to every person who asks about any type of boat other than epic. there is a big difference. that being said, i couldn't care less what they spend their time doing. if someone wants to pitch epic boats to every person that asks about the pro's and con's of malibu or mastercraft, have at it. it's nice they have that much free time - i wish i did.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-16-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
People hork boats?
I just horked a lugey! Does that count??