Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       08-09-2017, 8:47 AM Reply   
Hi All,
I've never worked on a trailer before so a little bit ignorant there. I've check boatmate's website & it's bit vague or only has specs & descriptions for their current trailer setups.

Anyways last time out I noticed that my right turn signal is no longer working. Running lights still work, but not brake light, so is there a fuse box for the lights I should check first? Or should I plan on getting the replacement lights?

It's on a 2011 boatmate trailer for a Supra 242, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-09-2017, 8:57 AM Reply   
Check the fuse in your truck. Sometimes when these lights go on the trailer they are taking out your truck fuse.
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-09-2017, 8:59 AM Reply   
Swap rear trailer lights they just pop out you might have a burned out bulb on the right hand side.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       08-09-2017, 10:40 AM Reply   
There are not fuses typically on trailers. Just wiring running from plug back. The easiest way to check if you just have a burnt out bulb is to take out and plug into the other working side. Push or pull light out. They are not bolted or screwed in. The rubber grommet holds them in. If the bulb is burnt out typically you will have to replace the whole light. Cheap fix from most trailer parts places. If the light is still good then the search begins. A lot of time wires rust or become brittle and break. It's normally really easy to find where that break is. If your running lights still work it makes it easier to narrow down. Pop out all of the rear lights on that side and check all connections and wires. You will see everything stuffed in behind the lights. If you have any rusted spots along frame heading towards front of trailer that could be the culprit and where to find break. Most if the time if you dig around a little bit it's an easy fix.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2017, 11:20 AM Reply   
I had the same thing happen to me last year on my 06 boatmate trailer. So I popped them out of the grommet and looked at the type of plug it had on the back of the light. Then I found some LED replacements for all the tail lights on ebay for cheap. The LED's look so much better.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-09-2017, 12:52 PM Reply   
Wiring gets corroded or shorts out also. I rewired both of my last trailers. Use the old wire to pull the new. Pretty easy and cheap.
Old     (Ghanddi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-09-2017, 1:00 PM Reply   
I had a similar issue a few weeks back on my 2012 trailer from boatmate. The running lights would work but not the brake or turn singles.The issue with mine was the connection where the trailer tongue folds. I had to pull the wires a little to get to the connection. it is supposed to have 2 zip ties crossed over on it. One of the ties had broken on mine. I unplugged and replugged the connection and redid the zip ties this fixed the issue.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       08-09-2017, 1:48 PM Reply   
Alright guys thanks for all the information. I'll try these out & let you know what it was. Thanks again!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-10-2017, 9:07 PM Reply   
Another quick and easy attempt is to spray your truck/trailer connectors with some contact cleaner. It worked for me, but I still had to replace some of my other LED lights that weren't as crucial as my signal/brake lights.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-10-2017, 9:20 PM Reply   
My boatmate right trailer light did the same thing the plug had wiggled out, pop out the light and check that first. Mine was good to go after cleaning up contacts and reinstalling

Also to replace their lights I had to look at buying from the dealer or boatmate direct, which would have been just as easy as its online and my dealer is a bit of a drive away. The 12 LED brake/tailight setup is pretty rare to find at the Kragens or ebay. Boatmate parts on the factory website has the right ones