Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-01-2016, 7:24 AM Reply   
I know I'm gonna get a lot a heat for this...

I have a G23 which sits at my dock pretty much all summer long. But I like to take a road trip once per year to other lakes - about a 200 mile round-trip, through mostly flat paved highway roads.

My current vehicle (4Runner 2013) can't pull over 5000lb, so my plan was to rent F-250 whenever I wanted to take those trips (about 500$ per week)

That was until I went to see the Touaregs at our local VW dealership. My 4Runner's lease is up next year, and the Touareg is looking very interesting as my next vehicle. I know that it can pull 7,700 lb, and I've read reviews about how great it can tow a heavy trailer.

But a G23 still sounds to me like it's too much for the T-Reg. Nonetheless I would still like to hear from anyone who's had experience towing heavy boats with either this vehicle or an Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne.

Thanks!
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-01-2016, 8:00 AM Reply   
I tow my SAN210 with touareg tdi. It tows it like a dream. The touareg is an awesome driving vehical. I towed my boat with a buddies chev 1500 truck with a small block v8 and the touareg way out preforms my buddies truck. If you get a touareg make sure it is a tdi.

The G23 is a different story though. I have no doubt that the touareg would pull it and that the breaks would hold up. I bet the touareg has better breaks then any 1500 truck on the market. The Germans over engineer on these things. The problem is that it is only rated for 7,700 lbs and the G23 with fuel and equipment will be well over that. It becomes a liability issue that I would not personally risk. Even if you get in an accident and your not at fault you can automatically be at fault, because you were towing over the manufactures towing capacity. Like I said I bet the touareg would pull it. I would be worried about liability.

I believe all the Audi suv's are only good for 5,500lbs including the Q7. The Porsche can do 7,700 lbs as it is built on the same frame as the touareg.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-01-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
By the way, I am getting 5400lb for the boat and 1500 for the trailer. That should work, no?
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-01-2016, 9:15 AM Reply   
http://www.boatingmag.com/luxury-tow...ayenne-turbo-s

this may help, to boating mag it may be a capable vehicle
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-01-2016, 9:36 AM Reply   
Santa - 5400 + 1500 = 6900. Now add: full tank of fuel, wakeboards, surfboard, life jackets, 24 of beer, food, driver, passengers, etc. You will be over 7,770lbs.
Old     (crimson850)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-01-2016, 8:48 PM Reply   
If you get the diesel, I have heard they are good for towing. I was told a woman traded in her F-250 in on a diesel toureg at our local VW dealer. Have you considered a sequoia? I can tell you this, your 4runner will hold is value much better than any VW.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-02-2016, 6:16 AM Reply   
Here is the facts the Touareg Gross vehicle weight is 2900 lbs the G is more than double that combined with a 114'' wheelbase its an accident waiting to happen. Just because it can pull the weight doesn't mean its a good Idea. In an emergency situation the boat can steer the tow vehicle and the brakes wont matter if the vehicle tires are locked up but skidding. I wouldn't pull any thing over 3500 lbs with anything less than a 3/4 ton. If you insist on the VW check out the cost of a tranny rebuild that will probably the first thing to go if you can keep it on the road? Also check with your insurance companey and make sure they will pay the claim with such a risky endeavor.

Last edited by Froggy; 04-02-2016 at 6:26 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-02-2016, 6:39 AM Reply   
Froggy that was the funniest diss of the touareg I've read in a while! 2900 lbs! Actual curb weight is 6173 according to edmunds. so you were close, I guess. Maybe you were thinking of a civic?
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       04-02-2016, 7:40 AM Reply   
The weight of the car is 4711 and the GVWR IS 6173 , so the maximum weight of gear and people in the car plus the tongue weight of the boat can not equal more than 1462 lbs . So make sure you pack light. You may want to check the tongue wieght of the g23. You would also want a stabilizer hitch for towing.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-02-2016, 8:57 AM Reply   
oops you are right! GVWR is 6173, curb weight 4696 according to edmunds.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-02-2016, 3:03 PM Reply   
This is good to hear. Plan on buying a Cayenne S (or Turbo if I can find a cheap one) for my next tow vehicle.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-02-2016, 7:28 PM Reply   
I think it will tow fine as said above... but it you have a lot of junk in the G23 you'd be over in a liability perspective.

Short hauls you should be ok.

Our Touareg takes the Xstar like a champ.. usually never more than a 100miles one way a few times a year.

Air ride is a must have option... keeps the truck level and tongue at the right level for trailer braking and no sways due to front or rear axle taking all the weight.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-04-2016, 6:57 AM Reply   
I'm sorry I got my kg's mixed up with my lbs. Even using the best of the numbers posted you will have 1477 lbs to work with before you are overweight.The tongue weight of the boat at 10 % will be in excess of 700 lbs add 2-4 peeps and gear and you are over or at best borderline. Even if you throw out all the numbers I don't think any short wheel base maximum loaded vehicle would be safe in any emergency situation. You are towing one of the biggest heaviest wakeboats made why are you even looking at such a small vehicle to do the job?
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-09-2016, 4:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseR720 View Post
This is good to hear. Plan on buying a Cayenne S (or Turbo if I can find a cheap one) for my next tow vehicle.
A cheap Porsche ? That's like finding a unicorn. Remember the cost of the vehicle is only the start maintenance and repairs will add up quick on any German car . Porsche will be the highest to keep on the road .
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-09-2016, 7:13 AM Reply   
Hey jerry,get a truck.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-09-2016, 4:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
A cheap Porsche ? That's like finding a unicorn. Remember the cost of the vehicle is only the start maintenance and repairs will add up quick on any German car . Porsche will be the highest to keep on the road .
I'm sure you are very versed in the maintenance cost of all German cars. I did my research and the Cayennes are good for high milage and maintenance parts aren't ridiculously expensive. I work on my own cars so I keep repair costs down that way.

And also I apparently did find a unicorn and bought it. 2008 Cayenne Turbo and I love it.
Attached Images

Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-10-2016, 7:26 AM Reply   
You said CHEAP Porsche? Have you had to do any major repairs yet? Price out a trans or major engine repair . Even something as simple as a blower motor can cost 1000.00 . I was a GM tech at an Olds GMC dealer so my knowledge is mostly on domestics . I'm not saying the German cars are bad just that they cost a lot more and don't last any longer. If you are going to buy a foreign car Honda and Toyota are your best value
Old     (jesutton)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-12-2016, 6:05 AM Reply   
I own a 2011 F250 and 2008 Touareg V10 TDI as well as a G23. I personally would not pull the G with the Touareg.

With our old VLX I would pick the Touareg over the F250. But the G is a different story. The Touareg would stop and start the G fine. But any emergency stop or turns I can see the short wheelbase and lighter weight being a problem. I've had people pull out, cross the line, etc pulling the G with my F250. It handled these situations fine. But you could still feel the boat trying to manhandle the back of the truck around.

Plus I don't really see any way to keep the G23 on a trailer under the 7700 lb mark. Unless you go empty tank and have a follow car for gear.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-15-2016, 6:12 AM Reply   
Just saw this on Planet Nautique good information for those that are thinking a small wheel base light duty vehicle with a big engine will do the job ?

There are a number of threads on this site related to boat weight, trailer weight, trailer capacity, tow vehicle capacities, etc. I wanted to post a thread with the information directly from Ram-Lin, Goodyear, and Ford, to reflect my experiences towing and the recommended towing setup for my specific vehicle (2005 Ford Excursion with 6.0L Diesel).

Boat: 2015 Super Air Nautique G23
Weight (Dry) 5,400 lbs.
Extra Gear: (Lead) 1,000 lbs., (Gear, Fuel, etc.) 600 lbs.
Trailer Weight: 1,900 lbs.
TOTAL BEING TOWED: 8,900 lbs.

Trailer: 2015 Ram-Lin G23 Tandem Axle / 288
Trailer Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): 9,990 lbs.
Trailer Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) Capacity (Each Axle): 4545 lbs. (TOTAL: 9,090 lbs.) <-- LIMITING FACTOR
Trailer Tires: Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15 Load Range D - Capacity (Each Tire): 2,540 lbs. at 65 PSI (TOTAL: 10,160 lbs.)

I tow with a 2005 Ford Excursion Diesel. On the trailer hitch itself, it has stamped that it has a maximum towing capacity of 12,500 lbs. This is misleading for several reasons.
1. That is the rating of the HITCH, not the vehicle.

2. The 2005 Ford Towing Guide lists the official maximum capacity of the Excursion with the 6.0 Diesel and the 3.73 rear end as 11,000 lbs. (2002 - Present Ford owners can get their towing information here.)

3. This 11,000 lbs. capacity is only valid when using a weight-distributing hitch.

4. Like many tow vehicles, the towing capacity of the 2005 Excursion without use of a weight distributing hitch is limited to 5,000 lbs.
I feel confident that the trailer itself, the axles, and the tires are within spec for the weight of my G23 as I normally load it (including the lead). The limiting factor appears to be the axles, at 9,090 lbs. capacity.

I used a weight distributing hitch in the past when towing my 2003 210 (with the lead) with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but sold the hitch years ago. I'll be purchasing another one soon, likely the Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200 12,000 lbs. capacity hitch along with the pole tongue adapter that allows this hitch to work with boat trailers and other trailers with pole tongues. This should make towing the G23 more stable, safer, and completely legal, and also reduce the rear-end squatting that occurs when towing heavy now.

I am posting this so that others towing these heavy boats will look into the TRUE limitations of their vehicles, trailers and hitch systems, and upgrade them accordingly. These are heavy boats, and it is important to tow them safely.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-15-2016, 7:04 AM Reply   
Just wanted to mention the dry weight for a 16 G23 is up 500lbs to 5900lbs and the G21 is now at 5500lbs.