Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-26-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
Every year, my family (45 people - including 10 kids 9 years old and under) rent a bunch of lake houses in north carolina for a week in July. For the past few years, they have bugged me to bring my boat. I never have, because I would have to leave it sitting in the water for a week tied to a dock at one of the houses, and I knew that the boat would get trashed every day by my walley non-boat owning family members and their kids. Well, this year, I caved in and decided to bring by Axis A22 with me. In preparation for the week of abuse that my boat would undergo at the hands of my family, I began looking at buying some cleaning products that would help keep the boat clean, and my OCD side at bay during my vacation. I hate to say it, but, in the past, my quiver of cleaning products included car wash soap,a bucket, a sponge, and armorall.

After reading a post on here about the products offered by Boat Bling, I pulled the trigger and picked up some sauces. Specifically, I got their Hot Sauce, Vinyl Sauce, Conditioning Sauce and Quickie Sauce. I will say that the spray bottles appear to be durable (they got tossed around a good bit and haven't broken or leaked yet). When you're spending $20+ on each bottle, you don't want the contents spilling out or the bottle breaking.

I'll try to break down my thoughts and observations on each sauce:

Hot Sauce

This stuff is touted as being excellent at removing water spots from your hull and leaving you with a nice, streak-free finish. Well, the sauce does that very well. However, what I noticed is that the Hot Sauce actually ate through, and removed, much tougher stuff than mere water spots. For example, one of my precious nephews managed to dribble strawberry jelly down the transom of my boat as he stood on my swim platform and ate his lunch. My boat, being solid black, managed to hide this from me until it was time for me to give the boat its evening wipe down. By then, the jelly had baked onto the gell coat and exhibited the consistency of tar. Fearing the worst, I sprayed the dribble spot down with Hot Sauce and let it sit while I sprayed and wiped off the rest of the rear of the boat. When I got back to the baked on mess, I hit it one more time with some Hot Sauce and, low and behold, with one wipe, it was clean. Another time that the Hot Sauce shined (no pun intended) was in the removal of the week old scum line on the hull. I've left my boat in the water for a day or two here and there, and when I pull it later, I'm always forced to fight the dreaded scum line. Once again, I was amazed at how effective the Hot Sauce was when, with one application and quick wipe, the scum line was gone - completely. Overall, I give the Hot Sauce a five out of five for cleaning and finish. The stuff sprays on and wipes off clean, without streaks, and leaves a nice reflective sheen on the gelcoat. It also has a pleasant, but not overwhelming smell. Yes, it will remove every water spot you have, but it will also easily handle much tougher cleaning tasks.

Vinyl Sauce

Let me start by asking you to image what the interior of my boat looked like on a daily basis after being used as a jungle gym/fort/play house/ hiding place/ etc. by 10 kids under 10 years of age, popcicles, grapes, blueberries, bananas, cheeze crackers, doritos, juice boxes, etc. in hand at all times. Lets just say it looked like I had a Russian rave party in by boat every day for a week. I found smashed chips between the seats, a veritable fruit cocktail spread across the sun pads, dirt, mud, sand, and other debris outlining and marking size 3-8 footprints everywhere, and other disasters involving my precious vinyl. Well, the Vinyl Sauce somehow managed to remove all of the garbage, stains, smears, juices, etc. that were left on the vinyl in my boat. The Sauce cut through stuff that soap and water would not have handled - like dora the explorer toenail polish residue, for example - and left the vinyl looking clean and dry. Was it worth $20 something dollars every time I was able to remove a cheezit and retain stain-free vinyl? Yes. I can honestly say that the Vinyl Sauce is the best interior cleaner I have ever used. Oh, one other thing, I'd say you should be able to clean your entire boat using this sauce many, many, many times with one bottle. You really do not have to cake on the cleaner to get it to work. Just a light spritz gets the job done.

Conditioning Sauce

This is the product Boat Bling makes that is intended to bring your vinyl back to that silky soft feeling it had the day it was stiched at the factory. I used the conditioning sauce once during the week that I was on vacation. I was cleaning the boat hard every day and leaving it uncovered baking in the sun all day long for a week, so I felt I owed it to the boat to condition the vinyl at least one good time. Also, obviously, I was giddy to see what results I would get from the Conditioning Sauce, as I have 65 hours on my boat and I had not yet applied any vinyl condiitoner since I bought it. When I applied the Conditioning Sauce, the vinyl had just been cleaned and had been given time to dry. Now, when I say dry, I mean the vinyl had that finish/texture to it that reminds me somewhat of what the paint on your car feels like after you wash it (for the first time in months), but before you wax it. (Sorry if I'm losing you here.) What I mean is that if you ran your fingers across the paint/vinyl with some pressure, your fingers would kind of jerk along the surface, and maybe even make a nice squeaking sound. In other words, the surface was not exactly silky to the touch. After applying the Conditioning Sauce and allowing it to dry. I immediately noticed that the vinyl was softer to the touch and, while not greasy or slippery (like the leather seats in your car are after you douse them with tire shine - c'mon, I know you've done it) it allowed your and to glide smoothly over the surface of the vinyl. Back to the car analogy, it gave a similar feeling as the paint on a nice freshly waxed and buffed vehicle. Ok, now we've all sprayed "tire foam" on our tires after washing our cars and thought, "Damn, that looks good!" only to be disappointed the next day after everything's dryed out over night when your tires have reverted back to the same dull matte black look they had the day before. Well, what I noticed with the Conditioning Sauce is that, even days after I had used it, the vinyl stayed softer and was actually easier to keep clean using the Vinyl Sauce. As with the Vinyl Sauce, the Conditioning Sauce goes a LONG WAY. In light of the limited number of times that you really need to use this stuff, I'd say my bottle is going to last me a good while.

Quickie Sauce

This stuff is essentially wax in a spray bottle. Does it work well? Yes it does. Is it "better" than some other the other high end waxes that I have to keep the hull looking good? Well, let's say it's on par with some of the best. However, it's very easy to apply quicly using the spray bottle, so that's a unique feature of the Quickie Sauce that I really like. I had to leave my boat tied to the dock all week and kept it from banging against anything by using two huge white houseboat fenders that I borrowed from a buddy of mine for the week. Well, the water was always chopped up pretty bad where we stayed, as there was tons of traffic going by all week. As a result, by boat got jostled around constantly, and was rubbing up and down against these huge fenders all day, every day. I was disappointed to see, when I pulled my boat out at the end of the week that I had developed two marks on my black hull in the area where the bumpers had been. it looked like someone had put a ton a microscopic scratches on the hull in both places. I think this was due to the fact that, where we stayed, there was a beach area and the water was really shallow at the dock, so there was a fair amount of sediment in the water most of the time. Anywho, when I got home on Saturday, I brought out the high speed buffer, sprayed the affected areas with the Quickie Sauce, and went to work. In two applications and buffs, the spots had disappeared, leaving the hull looking brand new. Much to my wife's chagrin, unpacking the rest of our gear suffered a delay, as I decided to wax and buff the entire hull. Having the wax I was using in a spray bottle definitely shortened the process, however, and I was able to finish before the wife went absolutely bananas. Like the other Sauces, the Quickie Sauce goes a long way. It took very little - maybe 1/15 of a bottle to wax the whole boat. Oh, and as I said before, the results seemed to be on par with the Meguires and and 3m products that I also have - a very bright, slick, even shine.

I hope that this review is helpful for any of you guys who are considering buying some high-end cleaning products. I must admit, at first, I was hesitent to pull the trigger and spend the coin of these Sauces. However, now that I have used them, I see the results, and I understand how long this stuff will actually last me, I have absolutely no regrets, and will continue to buy this stuff in the future. I guess one thing to consider is, when you're spending what you're spending to buy these boats, what's a $20 or so dollars here or there to make sure you are keeping your pride and joy in great shape?

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures yet. I will try to get you guys some before and after shots so you can see the results.

Last edited by chattwake; 07-26-2011 at 6:41 AM.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2011, 6:46 AM Reply   
boat bling is the shizznit!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-26-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
I have heard so much awesome stuff about it as well. My buddy just started using it and it does work great.
When he is wiping down his boat next to mine you can smell the strong vinegary smell from it. Is it mainly vinegar? I have no real problem with it cause I used to wipe down with 50/50 vinegar/water and a splash of wax. I thought it worked awesome but my wifed b!tched about washing the towels and getting the smell out. Is it the same with boat bling?
I have now been using 50/50 babes boat bright/water in a garden sprayer and love it. Might have to try Boat Bling but would like to hear if everyone is smelling the vinegar or if he just got a bad bottle or something. It is his first bottle.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2011, 7:05 AM Reply   
its has a hint of vinegar smell to it
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
If I remember right the owner of boat bling said it didn't have any vinegar in it. The smell comes right out of towels when washed.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-26-2011, 7:21 AM Reply   
Jeremy smell cades when he is up there this weekend. It is really strong vinegar smell. Wipes the boat down real nice though.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2011, 7:23 AM Reply   
Yeah I know it does smell like it has some vinegar but not sure if that's what it is or not. Mine has always smelled that way since 06' when I started using it.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-26-2011, 7:29 AM Reply   
I don't think that the Boat Bling stuff smells like vinegar at all, and the towels that I used on vacation came out the laundry smelling just fine. The scent that the Hot Sauce has to it reminds me of a cross between suntain lotion, stripper, and coconuts. I imagine it smells alot like Charlie Sheen.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
I think it smells good. Stuff works great though.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-26-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Is the Hot Sauce what you spray the entire boat with right when you pull her out of the water for wipe down? Or is this just for tough spots removal?
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
its what you use right out of the water.. but can also be used to touch up or spot removals.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-26-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
So it does leave a wax/protectant for the gel coat - like Babes Boat Bright? Correct?
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
10 kids x 10 fingers each = 100 cheeto stained weapons of mass destruction!

Thank you for the comprehensive review Chatt. We're thrilled to hear that not only did the Sauce products perform as advertised but more importantly that you didn't have to spend your time cleaning the boat and instead could focus on the important things...like enjoying a vacation on the lake with your family.

I'll follow up shortly with a response to those wondering why Hot Sauce may have a vinegar scent.

We may use this in future marketing pieces: "The scent that the Hot Sauce has to it reminds me of a cross between suntain lotion, stripper, and coconuts."

Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
So it does leave a wax/protectant for the gel coat - like Babes Boat Bright? Correct?
Correct, Hot Sauce contains a silicone polymer wax sealant. Similar to Boat Bright by Babes (excellent product btw) but the Hot Sauce combines the water spot removing properties as well as adding a layer of protection to supplement the wax already on the boat.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-26-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
It took off nail polish? Really? Was this wet nail polish that went on the vinyl, or already dry when it came in contact with the vinyl? If it took of wet nail polish that dried on the vinyl and the vinyl did not get ruined, that is really something.

You are a far more patient man than I. My current boat is 11 years old (bought this year) and the vinyl is not pristine by any means. Nevertheless, if you bring cheetos, wet nail polish, or a dozen other contraband items on my boat, you might not make it back alive.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-26-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
It was dry nail polish that got smeared in a somewhat thin line. At first, I thought it was a marker, but it looked more like a smear. Latern when I later saw my 3 year old getting her nails painted in the house by one of her five year old cousins I put two and two together. The colors matched and, upon interrogation (involving withholding ice cream) my suspicious were confirmed when the five year old confessed to having been in the boat playing on the sunpad (the area in question) not long before I cleaned it.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Hot Sauce contains a precise amount of diluted acetic acid which enables it to easily remove water spots. Acetic acid is also the active ingredient in vinegar (typically 4-8%). Acetic acid fumes are very pungent so even with the low levels contained in Hot Sauce, the product may still exhibit a scent similar to that of vinegar. The odor will likely be more pronounced when the product is warm if left in a hot vehicle, closed compartment, etc. all day. Regardless of scent, Hot Sauce will work effectively in a temperature range that covers anything the recreational boater sees up to, and over 120*.

Quick tip for DIY guys using vinegar/water/wax concoctions: (this is like the sex-ed speech, if you’re gonna do it, do it safely ) Mix the ingredients immediately before use or the acetic acid will eat away the wax. In developing the Hot Sauce product, thousands of hours (and $$’s) were spent in the lab formulating a compound that was stable enough to be shelved for years.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-26-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
I guess I'm going to have to pull the trigger and check this stuff out.. sounds like it's worth the coin
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-26-2011, 2:52 PM Reply   
Yes it is! Diggs I have have a gallon of it in my garage. You can fill up a bottle if you want!
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-26-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
the vinyl sauce is amazing and worked wonders on my boats interior getting grime that I have tried to get off for years with other cleaners. Bottle of vinyl sauce, microfiber towel and a case a beer, your interior will be showroom ready.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-27-2011, 6:59 AM Reply   
I will have to give it a shot for sure. I have an extra gallon of Babes at the house that should get me through the year, but next year, I will pick up a gallon.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-27-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
I have used Boat Bling Since 2007. I love the product and will never change.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-27-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Hmmmm.....Products sound familiar!?

http://www.performanceboatcandy.com/
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post

I think you may be onto something here. You know I've had my suspicions about another product, what are your thoughts on these two?
Attached Images

Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Joking aside, I can say with authority that you will never hear a Boat Bling representative speak poorly of a competitor. We welcome healthy competition from established companies and new start-ups alike as it forces everybody to refine their formulas/strategy and ensures that the end user receives the highest quality product at the best possible price.

While this particular competitor has a simlilar product lineup, their water spot remover/detailer shares no similarity in formula to that of Hot Sauce, nor any of our Sauce products.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
Did you see Miss Performance boat candy????? Who cares if it works or not!

Did get my Boat Bling in the mail last week....can't wait to try it!

Nu Bu..you crack me up.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
I think you may be onto something here. You know I've had my suspicions about another product, what are your thoughts on these two?
Have I mentioned how well Hot Sauce works on glass? It's even blue!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeednup View Post
Have I mentioned how well Hot Sauce works on glass? It's even blue!

It certianly does, and my tower speaker cans, and my tower, and, and, and.....
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-27-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
lube!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
I recently did a side by side test on some really bad waterspots to compare babes spot solver and boat bling's hot sauce and the Spot Solver was able to remove all the water spots while the Hot Sauce was only able to remove the minor ones. If the spots arent bad the Hot Sauce is nice because you dont have to put a spray wax on after. With the Babes spot solver, you will want to put a spray wax on after.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-27-2011, 9:07 PM Reply   
Does the conditioning sauce have similar protecting characteristics as 303 aerospace protectant or would it rather be used in conjunction?
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2011, 10:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeborder5 View Post
Does the conditioning sauce have similar protecting characteristics as 303 aerospace protectant or would it rather be used in conjunction?
Condition Sauce would be comparable to 303 Aerospace Protectant. Both products serve to protect against UV damage which is a real concern considering the environment in which our boats are used. Condition Sauce also excels at 'reinvigorating' a tired interior bringing back the soft, supple feel of freshly detailed or new vinyl without the greasy/slippery feel of cheap tire shine. Many boat owners neglect this step of adding a layer of protection to the vinyl but as Chattwake noticed it's easier to maintain and ultimately will remain softer and resist cracking for years down the road as the hour-meter ticks away.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2011, 10:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerobsession View Post
Did get my Boat Bling in the mail last week....can't wait to try it!
Glad to hear your order arrived safely and thanks for trusting Boat Bling! We'd love to see some before & after pics on those tough areas! Feel free to email:

zack@boatbling.net
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-28-2011, 10:39 PM Reply   
i want before/after shots before im completely sold