Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (harris)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-21-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 x star whose rug is not as soft as it used to be. The rug fibers have become pressed together. Are there any tricks to bringin back the softness?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-21-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
I read an older post where someone used a pressure washer, and then brushed the carpet with carpet cleaner. Obviously you'll rinse the cleaner out and I think he hit it with a shopvac.
Old     (mcrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-21-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Done the pressure washer thing and it worked pretty well. Just make sure to leave the boat in the sun once you are done so the carpet dries out really well.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-22-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
I use a diluted bottle of Tide laundry detergent. A little goes a long way. Dilute it in a spray bottle, then work that into the carpet with a stiff nylon brush. Of course wet the carpet first. Then power wash out the soap and dirt. Not a garden hose, but a power washer like at the car wash. Then use a shop vac to dry the carpet plus sunshine. Sunshine works just fine alone if you don't mind it taking longer.

The Tide cleans the carpet really well plus it freshens up the smell of the carpet.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-22-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
The power washer works great, but beware of it with bare feet. Last summer I accidentally sprayed my foot and it put a 3" gash on the top of it. I still have a scar from it. The carpet on the other hand, looks great!
Old     (fingerstick)      Join Date: May 2009       02-23-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
I read on an old post somewhere that a little fabric softener during the final rinse works wonders also
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-23-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Here is what I did:

Pull everything you can out of the boat. Vests, anchors, ice chests, etc. You need as much ventilation as possible to let it dry out.

Then make sure you will have non-stop sunshine for the next 48 hours.

Fire up the vacuum and give the carpets a good cleaning(no point in trying to scrub the carpet if its not already free of debri).

Next fire up a pressure washer and take two or three passes through the interior. Note that its REALLY important to excersize restraint here. You dont want to put a hole in the carpet because you turned the pressure up too high. Just enough to move the fibers of the carpet around a bit.

Now take a NEW auto tire scrubbing brush (stiff bristles) and some soap of your choice...scrubbing down the carpets once or twice.

Now grab a shopvac or steam cleaner and such up as much of that dirty water as you can. You will be AMAZED at how fithy the water will be.

Finally, rinse it through with the pressure washer another time or two. (I have never tried fabric softener, but I like the idea).

Now let the boat sit out in the sun and dry for a good 48 hours plus.
Old     (mcrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-23-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
It also does not hurt to take the drain plug out if it is in so any extra water will drain out.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-23-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
After the shop vac you can also try a leaf blower (wear ear plugs) it will speed up the drying. When you use the pressure washer, make sure that you have the right nozzle attached. I once pressure washed mud off my trucks radiator and forgot that I had a very small angle head on it. It destroyed the radiator fins. They have some that are fairly wide angle