Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-12-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
My name is Tom and I am planning on driving down to Florida this summer to make one final legitimate run at a job within the wakeboard industry. Wakeboarding is my drive and passion as corny as that sounds? I would also like to get my name out and try maybe to get a vid part. I started riding about 11 years ago, but it is quite tough to get any sort of exposure in the midwest. I finished school last spring graduating w/a degree in commercial recreation and went straight down to TSR after to complete an internship. I am willing to throw down on rent wherever there is room, I am super chill and seriously desperate to break into the industry through whatever route is available. But I figure the only way left is to actually travel to the mecca of the sport and meet the right people who can actually help me. My cell phone number is (630)606-8512 and my email is knotekskove@juno.com. I can be reached at either spot, thanx guys

P.S.- Never give up on your dreams and passions
*Peace*
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-12-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
goodluck orlando is full of 100s of u
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-12-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
thanx man, thats y I put what I put at the bottom of the post
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-12-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
either get a job at odub or performance, or both. if you are good enough, shoot for the projects. they always have kids from out of state trying to make it in the industry. some of them end up with sponsors and a name in the sport, some of them don't and it doesn't always end up with who is the best. making a name for yourself in the wakeboard industry is hard, even as an orlando local shredder.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       04-12-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
Tom,

I think its sweeet you got drive and are gonna make a run for it!!! A lot of people talk about doing it and a lot of people hate on dudes who talk about doing it but you will never know what will happen unless you try!!! Keep bein rad man I wish you the best!!! ;D
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-12-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
Hey, when do you think you'll go?

I'm wanting to drive down too for like a week or two come summer....

I know quite a few people from our travels before.... Call me sometime soon, we'll talk about this.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
Tom -

Go get it man. Turn a deaf ear to the haters..

Good Luck!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-12-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
Im not hating im simply stating that there are tons of kids here in orlando that move here every winter and try to make it in the industry. I was born here in orlando and luckly ive hung around the right people and met the right people.

Performance has had some of the same guys working for them forever and OWC gets alot of interest from people applying.I wouldnt say OWC will lead to anything other then maybe talking to some pros that come there.

What are your skills? Why would a company or brand look at you at of the 100 other transplant kids that move to orlando each year in hopes of breaking into the industry and eventually figure out Its not like in the movies and end up going home
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-12-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
Thanx for the support guys! I know the wakeboard industry is unique as far as means of making it, but I am not going to give up. Unfortunately I was born in the midwest, but that is the reason I am planning on coming down to Orlando to show people how motivated and dedicated I am when it comes to the advancement of our sport. Hopefully when all is said and done I will be calling Orlando, Florida my home and I will be a little more then another one of those guys who came to the area to working on fufilling some sort of fantasy lifestyle.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-12-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
Tom is a killer rider I can vouche for that.... stand up guy too. I think companies can use people who not only ride well, but can help in other ways... Tom is a college educated person who has people skills...which is as important as your bag of tricks.

I know his pain of the midwest, I've come down to winter haven for a month or two each winter to ride and honestly in 1 year of riding down there someone can get 10,000x more exposure than 10 years in Wisco... it sucks, but its the nature of the beast.

I would be willing to bet with a month of coaching Tom could throw down with the best of them, I've never riden with anyone who learns tricks as fast as he does.

When you read through these... call me up, we'll make the drive and I've got a few ins that we can try and work out.
anyway, call me.
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-12-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Yea cracker I worked at TSR last summer Odub will not do anything for me, i already know that. I was going to work at Wakenation this summmer, that was my plan. I wanted to learn every aspect of the running a cablepark business. Cable is where the sport is going, but the management positions are rare to none. I figure I might as well check out what kind of networking i can take care of in the mecca. I could be one of those hundreds i guess, but i believe i am more dedicated into putting the work in then those others. time will tell though
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-12-2009, 10:07 PM Reply   
so tom are you trying to be a pro rider or what?

What are you offering the industry by coming here
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-13-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
What are you offering the industry by coming here

If he gives the right answers are you offering him a job? Because it sounds like you are just mouthing off.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-13-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
I have connections. I myself film. So if he is a good rider. I would be interested in filming a no name guy and show him around some of the local spots.
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-13-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Cool man, well I will give it a try once I get down there. Style is something I have over a lot of people from the midwest. Unfortunately, I am not as lucky as everyone that is able to ride all year round. Once again time will tell if I have what it takes or can progress the way I would hope?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-13-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
If you like to Wakeboard I wouldn't get a job in the industry! As soon as you do you will not wakeboard much anymore!
Old     (airborne)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-19-2009, 4:18 AM Reply   
Tom,

Shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with a couple pro's to go ride with in Orlando or Clermont. Clermont has became a huge spot with most of the top riders....Rusty, Danny, Parks and Shane are all out on Minnehaha every morning. Not only are they there but Matt Hickman is always out there (editor for wakebaording mag) among others. There are lots of small private lakes around Orlando, a few with some top riders on the tour who I am sure would let you go out with them.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-19-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
Tom: Good luck on your adventure. A great read is a book called "The Dream Giver" It's a story about having a dream and all the obstacles and "friendly" opponents. Also, check out Austin's article about being a professional wakeboarder. Great insight from one of the guys out there fighting to make it happen on the wakeboard scene. http://austinhair.posterous.com/ It down the page and called "The keys to success in Wakeboarding".