Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
So my brother recently bought a 1999 ( I believe) Centurion elite V and we can not figure out the best way to weight it, we can't seem to get a clean wave. So far we have always fill a 750 in the port Locker then a 400 towards the front in storage under the port side seat then we have tried running another 400 in the bow on top the the seat, then we add another 400 as far back on the port bench as it can go or also across the rear kinda of counter weighting it. So far none of these setups seem to make a real good wake the shape and size are okay but it will not clean up unless we are turning. I would have assumed with the 2k in ballast and a couple people we would have a great wake but not the case. When we try to list as much as possible we have the rear rub rail in the water still doesn't want to clean up. Any ideas? Also it has manual wake plate that we have left in a neutral position( level with the boat hull) Would it help to move that up or down at all? Only other idea I had was to ass some sort of wave cleaning flap that I have seen others do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-01-2014, 9:08 AM Reply   
we have a 2001 and run a similar set up, 750 in the rear compartment, 400 under the bench and a integrated bow sac with around 400 in the bow. Throws a nice clean wake on the port side. The starboard side is hard to clean up unless you have a adjustable trim plate.

the bow weight is key, and so is a good list. I get rid of the sac across the rear bench. seems like you are close, good luck.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-01-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
Start adjusting the wake plate down. This will do a few things for you.
1: It will clean up the wake some and lengthen the pocket a bit
2: It will make the boat A LOT easier to steer ad drive.
3: It will get the boat on plane a little bit more and drop the nose some. This is important so you are not straining the engine as much, because the further in the air the nose is, the less propulsion you are getting from the prop as it is shooting down not back.

We lowered the manual wakeplate last time we were out and it made a world of difference.
It was just about flush, maybe a half turn down when we started. I went under the platform with some scuba goggles and lowered the wakeplate about 1 1/4- 1 1/2 turns and it helped a lot.
Prior to doing that, the boat had a hard time getting up to speed and even staying at 8-9mph and we run at 10.3-10.7mph. After we were up to speed, and a lot quicker, we were also able to get the boat up to the 10mph range and above, which also cleans up and lengthens the wave some. We were running around 2k as well in a direct drive.

Our setup obviously differs in a direct drive than a v-drive, we also are still playing around with it since we have more options at our disposal this season, but here is what it currently is:

~300lb tube sack under rear seat
-750lb sack on port floor
-750lb sack on top of port sack and rear seat
~150 sack in port bow under seat
-Wakeplate down about 1 1/2-2 turns
-10.3-10.7mph

Our pocket could be bigger, but the wave gets us plenty of push and is clean now. We are still playing around with it, but it is an improvement from what we started out this season with.
Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2014, 7:22 AM Reply   
Which do you think is more important list or total weight? See our starboard side seems to want to clean up much easier. We usually run a 400 in the bow I will try putting the wakeplate down some to see what that does.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-02-2014, 8:44 AM Reply   
Both are important, but the listing it tends to be a little more important. If you are only slightly listed and have both sides of the stern down, you will get a lot of wash and spray coming over the wave and a really small pocket. Listing one side over the other is what makes the wake uneven (what we want) and has the non surf side coming out from behind you.

Having a 750 in the rear corner and a 400 in the non surf side is going to produce a much washier wake, with about the same amount of push than say having a 750 in the rear corner and a 400 in front of it or stacked on top of it.

So here's some physics of wake surfing for you. By the way, I just recently REALLY started looking at it and how it all works.

Sinking one side of the boat lower makes a displaces more water there and puts it at a lower level than the regular water level of the lake/river.
The water is going to come back up after the boat passes over that area and rejoin the normal level of the body of water.
You are surfing this action. It is like a current going upwards and you are riding it down. This is why some people refer to it as lift instead of push. You are literally riding down water flowing upwards at you.
This is also why speed is a factor, the slower the boat goes, the more it is sunken into the water and not on the surface of the water and gives you more push, but the faster it goes, the faster you get to the area that it has displaced and in affect the area the water is rushing back to fill in is bigger.

The reason more bow weigh makes the pocket longer is because the boat is displacing a bigger/longer portion of water which takes longer to fill in after the boat passes by it.
The reason you get a taller wave, or more push with a lot of weight in the back, is because the hole (the area the boat is displacing) is deeper and makes the water rush up at a faster rate at a steeper angle.

If you look at how the wave is coming up when you're behind the boat, look at the side of the boat and you will see it as a ramp, ski slope, whatever you want to going up towards the center of the wake where it converges. This is what is really your driving force, how steep that is, how fast the water is rushing back up to normal water level, and how big of an area it is doing it in.

Putting more weight on the side is going to put more of the boat in the water on your side and make that hole it is digging into the water bigger and making the water have to rush up quicker and in a larger area. More weight on the opposite side may help with sinking the back of the boat more and may aid in it being a little steeper, but you will experience more gains from putting more weight on the surf side.
Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-03-2014, 5:22 PM Reply   
We can have the boat listing enough to have the rear rub rail in the water and the wake just still has a decent amount of wash if not turning, Its decent size decent pocket just not clean.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-03-2014, 6:37 PM Reply   
As I mentioned, lower the wakeplate. It helps put the bow more in the water. It will help clean up the pocket and make it a little longer.
Old     (kendallb)      Join Date: Aug 2013       06-07-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
I have a 1996 centurion elite v for a few years and finally got It dialed last year! It was a pain but I have a great wake now! I run a 750 in the starboard locker a straightline ruc sac 225 bag under starboard seats, a 540 ontop of seats. I have a 400 bow bag I fill when the boat is leaning to half full the I put another 540 on top of starboard bow seat. You have to weight the side your running only. Also the trim tab for starboard has to be up all the way. Port side all the way down. Dont ask why it just does. I have a 14x9 lenco trim kit and i'll adjust on the move and thats what I discovered. Also wash is a problem depending on which prop your running. I have a black scorpion with a acme 911(13×10.5) and if im doing alot of surfing I'll change it to a 13×11.5 I had made. I hope this helps. Also I run 10.9 mph on the hydrophase.com cruise control.
Old     (kendallb)      Join Date: Aug 2013       06-07-2014, 2:35 PM Reply   
Sorry, I got my port and starboard mixed up!
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-15-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
We run 3800 lbs in my friends 2008, but the hull is not as flat as yours in the rear? Sink the entire boat and then list, it likes the front to back weight about 60/40

R