Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (haubs)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-20-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
Hi - I need help
I am a mom looking for a first time board for my family - 2 kids 75 lbs and 100 lbs - mom 150 lbs and dad 175lbs - always skied and wakeboarded - trying wakesurf for the first time - have a nice deal on these two boards and need to choose . . . want to make sure there is room for rapid learning by the children and a little less rapid learning by their parents!

thanks!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-20-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
Buy the kids a phase 5 scamp, just for them. Especially your 75lb'er. It makes all the difference. It's easily rideable up to 100+ lbs. It will otherwise be VERY frustrating for the kids.

For the parents, I'd choose the oogle over the mucus. The mucus tends to pearl (bury the nose) pretty easy in my experience.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-20-2013, 2:54 PM Reply   
I would recommend an Inland Surfer Black Pearl with an added pair of Delta Fins. Adding the extra fins makes the board stable for beginners, and give it a tad of a surf feel, and as you advance if you'd like to remove the outer fins for a pro style skim ride. This is an awesome Boat Board with this set up, and will accommodate many different people. It is a tad large for the kids, but they should be able to handle it fine. I have taught many children on this board! If you'd prefer a bit smaller, the look to the Inland Surfer Ooze, it's just 6 inches shorter. But if you are just looking to have fun hit the Black Pearl.

Do not have a ton of time on The Mucus, but think it is a great board with no issues of pearling. It is a Surf Style vs the PH5 skim……Black Pearl with the pair of Delta fins combines these and gives lots of room to grow!!!
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-21-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
Buy both!!..

I have the Oogle and love it for advanced tricks.. It's a bit squirrely for beginners.. I have a Triple X Slayer for my surf style board..

If I had to chose I think I'd go with the Mucus.. Good all around board and stable..
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-21-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
Charlie, is pretty much right. If they are that good of a deal buy both, you can always unload one.
If you want, you can tell us the prices, and we can tell you if they are a good deal or not. If the boards are used or demos, then condition can be a factor.

The Oogle is not really a tradition skim board. It is a stretched skim; designed to compete with the cheaper broadcast. It definitely has more a skimmy feel than a surf.

The Mucus is a surf style board more or less, kind of heavy, slow and there is a tendency for nose diving (this generally has more to do with the rider than the board).

I am not going to try to sell you on different board; both are decent learner boards for you and your husband. Neither are ideal learners for your children. However, if I had choose one for your children, to learn to pop up and ride, it would be the Oogle.
Nick

Last edited by Chaos; 11-21-2013 at 9:59 AM. Reason: bad typing
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-21-2013, 12:06 PM Reply   
Scamp for the little ones, boards made for adults are too hard to pop and control, written by a father of 4

I like surf style, so for the grown ups I would chose the Mucas over the Oogle... you really have to surf improperly to sink the nose on the Mucas, it is not at all like the sweet spot.
Old     (haubs)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-21-2013, 8:47 PM Reply   
OK - you folks have me thinking - the mucus is for sale at $300 - not a scratch on it - but perhaps I should be thinking about the mucus for my husband and I and perhaps a phase 5 scamp for the children- where we live there are not a lot of used - gently used boards - and I really hate buying new . . .
Old     (haubs)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-21-2013, 8:49 PM Reply   
oh yeah - I forgot to add - I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND COMMENTS- you are awesome - thankyou!
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-25-2013, 5:03 PM Reply   
You can not go wrong with a Mucus for 300 bucks...