Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-24-2016, 5:53 PM Reply   
Getting ready to add some LED speaker rings and interior lights. What size wire is adequate to use? Is 20 gauge good for short(under 6 feet) runs? I know they don't draw much.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2016, 9:56 AM Reply   
I take it your talking about RGB 4 conductor. 22 Gauge wire is what I use. The larger the wire the more difficult it is to manage at the solder points.
I have run 22 Gauge 30+ feet with no signal loss.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2016, 9:58 AM Reply   
Here is a video I did like 4 years ago. Shows you how to solder up the connections

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/0E2C_gHopH4
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-25-2016, 2:43 PM Reply   
I'm talking standard 20 gauge wire like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-GAUGE-100...F5RT0F1&vxp=mt

I am just doing lights(not the tape type strips) and pre made speaker rings. They already have a Pos(+) and Neg(-) lead coming off I just need to extend it. Single color blue.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-25-2016, 5:48 PM Reply   
Love the video grant I went through this today trying to attach a one color LED wires. Just couldn't get he the soldier on the LED contacts. I'll have to try it on the table tomorrow.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2016, 2:23 AM Reply   
The thing with some of the strips these days is that the cheaper ones don't have enough to solder to. If they bend once, the tracing breaks off completely. I've found that if you're going to cut up individual strips like this, it's best to get some from a reputable company.

RB, 20 or 22 gauge will be just fine.
Old     (gkjunk757)      Join Date: Jun 2014       03-26-2016, 4:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
The thing with some of the strips these days is that the cheaper ones don't have enough to solder to. If they bend once, the tracing breaks off completely. I've found that if you're going to cut up individual strips like this, it's best to get some from a reputable company.

RB, 20 or 22 gauge will be just fine.

Which company's would you suggest?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2016, 7:39 PM Reply   
It's hard to say. I've been using some from Wet Sounds lately. Its just easier instead of experimenting. I use a lot of parts from Race-Sport and Heise right now too, and the Heise LED strips seem to be holding up well. SuperbrightLED's is another company that's reputable.

I'll admit, I found a company last year that was selling single color 5M rolls for about $10 each. I bought several different colors to try out. Ended up putting all of them in the trash. There's not enough to solder to without it breaking. Those are fine if you're not cutting them into segments.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-28-2016, 7:59 AM Reply   
I got all my LEDs wired up on the bench last night and the biggest pain I ran into was getting the water proof protectant off.

Any tips on that, I used a razor blade to slice it off but it took forever.