Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-16-2014, 3:24 PM Reply   
I know usually these things come from a grounding issue but maybe someone can point out my mistake. I added 2 6v to my dual 12v system for amps...I put the 2 existing 12v's on perko switch 1 and added the two 6v's to perko switch 2. I wired the grounds on the batteries banks together with 4awg. The system has a pretty audible whine only when the engine is on, then goes away if you turn of the HU or turn off the boat engine (with the stereo still on). Did I miss something in my install? Fyi the boat is brand new and worked fine before the addition.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-17-2014, 2:10 AM Reply   
Had same problem, thought it was ground so i went through and basically rewired the system. Turned out one of the amps was fried. Replaced the amp with a new exile and the problem went away.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-18-2014, 12:39 PM Reply   
sounds like "road noise" as its called in the auto world. Does the pitch change with RPM? I'd separate the grounds on the 2 banks and see if that helps.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-19-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
Its not like the "road noise" that your referring to where it changes pitch. Its just a steady pitch once the boat and stereo are turned on at the same time. At the moment it seems to be gone after I adjusted and tightened some connections so hopefully that was the issue.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-20-2014, 1:03 PM Reply   
Start with the grounds
after that move to the equipment, disconnect stuff until it goes away, then reconnect stuff and narrow it down. I have seen this be bad grounds, bad amps, and even bad speakers or wiring. Just a bunch of trial and error. BTW: You did hook your 6v batteries up to produce 12v right? Stupid question, but something that may be overlooked. If you have it hooked up as a 6v ground system and the rest is setup as a 12v ground system, I could see that giving you some issues. Break out the multimeter and double check.