Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-16-2004, 4:13 PM Reply   
I am adding a pair of 10" subs to my boat and was looking for your opinions on them. They need to be able to stand getting a little damp/wet (not soaked). And will be running off a Fosgate Punch 125.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-16-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
MDF board! I take it you will be building a custom enclosure? Follow manufacturer specs as to size for the kind of sound you are trying to achieve. Coat the entire box in fiberglass resin. I do mine in clear epoxy. Stonger and costs a little more, but it's minor! I've done four enclosures this way. What's nice is that the resin ensures that the box is sealed! Mount the speaker wire connections high on the box, if possible, incase you get water in the boat. If water get's in through that opening, you have bigger problems on your hands, due to the water would have to be pretty deep in the boat. Subs can get water on the face no problem. Subs usually are not the area to worry about when it comes to electronics in a boat.
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-16-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
You are right about electronics. They are all safe unless I sink the boat-- I got a waterproof VHF ready for "abandon ship" if that unexpected scene happens. I am looking at woofers. The box will be MDF and fiberglassed. I like the Audiobahn ALUM 10Q but want to hear everyones opinions.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-16-2004, 5:47 PM Reply   
I used the Dayton Quatro's in my boat with good luck but they are paper so that's a no-go for your application. I feel some paper subs tend to work better in very small boxes so you may need 0.75 cu. ft. or more to run poly/alum. I have also seen some beautiful boxes done in Plex but you will need to do more internal damping vs. MDF. Birch or danish ply is also an option lots of people overlook, just make sure it's good stuff without voids. The ply will hold up better than MDF is water ever finds it's way in.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-17-2004, 6:46 AM Reply   
I like my 10" Infinity Kappa Perfect (Driven by 300W RMS); very efficient and clean IMO. But it is small fish compared to what a lot of folks run on this board.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-17-2004, 6:54 AM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7940848111&catego ry=38647&sspagename=WDVW
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-17-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
would look at image dynamics... really, really high end quality without the high end price tag ( ie high end focal, dynaudio,mcintosh etc)...they pound and have very high sound quality which is a unusual combo. also from what i heard image dynaimc made subs for arc as well.

idmax is for all out high highered amps with big boxes and idq is for mid powered amps and small enclosures (idq series is pretty amazing sub ...very efficent, small enclosures friendly,and easy to drive)

defcon just went with image dynaimcs seperates on their reference tower system...doesnt surprise me.. i just changed out my dynaudio seperates in my car for the image dynamic seperates and wow...the chamelon seperates are almost 1/2 the price of the dynaudio and have exceptional sound quality..

have done a ported box and a sealed box with 12's (.75 per speaker sealed) and (1.25 per speaker ported) and both boxes sound awesome....

the question is how can i get 4 ported enclosures on my boat and still have room for storage ???
Old    bigdeal            12-17-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
I had one Kicker Solobaric L7 in my boat that sounded pretty good, so I'd imagine two would crank if powered appropriately. However, I found out that one 10" in my boat just wasn't enough bass for me, so I've since installed a single 12" sub.

A suggestion on finishing your MDF box. If you want it to be waterproof, strong, and abrasion resistant, and don't wanna go through the hassles of glassing it, take it to your local truck accessories center and have it shot with a Line-X spray-on bedliner coating. I did mine this way and love it. It cost me around $50 to have it coated, and took all of an hour to get done. And best of all, I went straight home and loaded my sub into the box since this stuff dries almost immediately. Definitely the ticket in my book.

Mike
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-17-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
bigdeal...

thanks for the great idea..
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-17-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
Great info going here!! I have a Sea Ray 200 any great ideas on locations for the woofers? Also, I am now considering 12's too. Thanks for the eBay link Adam, but I have to buy the speakers new-- it's a thing I have for used equipment!