Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sports_gurl)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-27-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
So, my city(winnipeg, Canada) Just got a cable park (opened last week). I have only wakeboarded behind a boat, for the last 3 years.. But would still say I am a Beginner(we have very short summers, and i only started taking it seriously this year!!)

What are the differences to expect on cable? I am hoping to go to the cable park once a week, then wakeboard behind a boat every other weekend. I can only do surface 180s ... and can jump Wake almost 2 wake... I'm so close!! And i have a pathetic Ollie...but i'm working on it.

So should I start in the Beginner lake?? are beginner rails/jumps harder than behind a boat trick? Should I get a lesson at the cable park? Or should i just get boat lessons(which are much more costly)... I really want to get good this summer or at least perfect my w2w and maybe a 180 and be able to confidently ride switch.

Thanks for the comments!
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       06-27-2011, 8:33 PM Reply   
You are gonna love it. A little big different but it sounds like you are gonna have the perfect set up to progress in wakeboarding. If you can get up behind the boat then the cable should be no problem so I don't think you need a lesson , head straight to the big cable. Ask the operator of coarse for some little tips on the corners and edging to rails. But some little kickers would be a good start, as they are similar to wake. Prfactice makes perfect! Have fun and falling is apart of the sport
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
I've only been a couple times but I thought that Cable boarding felt like wakeboarding but also a bit like snowboarding. There will always be a lot of people ready to help you to give you tips. Talk to people when standing in line and you could always get a lesson. If I'm not mistaken, AA will also have some day camps during the summer so that you can ride with a bunch of girls. There are a good and great girl riders in Winnipeg and I'm sure they will all be going there during the Summer.
I'm super pumped on the park opening this Friday. The park will make the sport soooooo much bigger in Winnipeg.
Old     (denverlove)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-27-2011, 10:00 PM Reply   
I'm going to my first cable park on Friday!!! So excited!

I'm visiting Michigan and they now have 2 cable parks. I'm checking out both of them within a week.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-27-2011, 11:07 PM Reply   
youll love cable! it might take you a few goes to get used to the start and going around the corners, but once you get the hang of it you will progress much faster than behind boat.

The great thing with the cable is you get much more water time, so you can practice and perfect things easier than behind the boat. This will help when you do get back to the boat you should have more confidence.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-28-2011, 2:33 AM Reply   
Cables runs a little slower in general so falls kinda hurt less I've found.....unless you're on a slider. One thing that caused me to take a couple hard falls it edging on sliders and kickers. DON'T. Even if you're going to get pulled off.
Old     (sports_gurl)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-28-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
Cables runs a little slower in general so falls kinda hurt less I've found.....unless you're on a slider. One thing that caused me to take a couple hard falls it edging on sliders and kickers. DON'T. Even if you're going to get pulled off.
Awesome!!

Are the sliders and kickers much different from snowboarding rails? I learned that the hard way in snowboarding as well.... If a rail hurts that much falling with all my winter gear, i'm sure it wouldn't be pleasant in a bathing suit.

I am so excited to wakeboard more this summer. And its aewsome to see some Winnipeggers on the site! I'm sure i'll be asking for tons of pointers at the park and hopefully i'll meet some girls and guys that wakeboard in this area.. I don't really know many.
Old     (guest)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-28-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
B H,
You'll love cable, the good thing about cable is it will make your boat riding that much better by using line load. All of AA's rails are ride on which is a good thing since your starting out. you wont need to be to concerned with the size of your oli. the hardest parts when learning to ride cable is to take the corners. I'm most likely going to be at AA opening weekend even tho I doubt I will be able to ride but If you want I can give you a few tips on either the big lake or one of the system 2 lakes

Last edited by guest; 06-28-2011 at 6:37 AM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
It's easier and more forgiving.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
Alright I take some of that back. Mastering the air tricks will probably not be easy :-).
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-28-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
Rails at the cable are easier than snowboarding rails.