Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Phoenix_Winch)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-15-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
I'm helping my friend sell his beautiful baby only because times are tight and he needs cash more than fun times right now. He paid $48,000 for this boat, the NADA guide prices it Average Retail as $40,125 and he’s offering for less than Low Retail. $35,000! This boat is in immaculate running condition. Named one of Wakeboarding Magazines “World’s Best Wakeboarding Boats 2005”, this boat is going to amaze you, his loss is your gain. Color scheme is yellow, gray, and white. Bimini top, rain cover, rear-view mirror, two wakeboard racks, depth finder, and PerfectPass included. Clarion stereo has various auxiliary inputs for your iPods, iPhones, HTC phones, Samsung phones, MP3 players and more. Dual (tandem) axle trailer tires are in moderate condition. The boat vinyl has some signs of wear. For the description I am going to defer to an article posted in WaterSki Magazine which was a reprint from the Boat Buyers Guide 2005. Unfortunately the "exclusive video" listed in the article is no longer available but for you, we shot some video of the boat in action on July 15, 2012 at Lake Pleasant AZ in Two Cow Cove. Please call or text Seth at 623-261-3523

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtdXUAv_rA
”Specs”
Length: 22 ft Beam: 96 in
Seating capacity: 10
Fuel Capacity: 45 gal
Prop: 4-blade
Engine: 5.7 L 350 small block
"Lowdown"
The hard-core style of the B-52 matches the hard-core wakeboarding performance. Two ballast tanks are built into the hull, ready for an easy-filling, balanced 1,600 pounds of water weight. The collapsible tower folds down flush with the sturdy windshield. The rubber-covered fiberglass swim platform offers traction and durability. Tribal graphics are in the upholstery and the gelcoat.
”Performance”
Top Speed: 46.3 MPH 5,400 RPM
Accel. To 30 MPH: 5.0 sec 114.1 ft
Accel. To 36 MPH: 6.4 sec 184.1 ft
Noise Levels (db): Neutral 61 D 62 R, 36 MPH 88 D 88R
”Overview”
When you’re the best wakeboarder on the lake, you want to announce your presence. The B-52 V lets you do that, screaming across the water with its wild in-the-gelcoat graphics, stylish collapsible tower, flashes of billet aluminum accents, and full-on four-speaker stereo system with amps and subwoofer. Behind it, you’ll be soaring on pro-level wakes and waving to awed onlookers. The B-52 is an awesome sight, whether you’re outside of it or riding in it. You get everything you’d expect in a V-drive – like and open bow, wraparound lounge and sun deck – just kicker up a notch. The upholstery and carpeting are remarkably thick, the fit and finish are clean and the storage is abundant, including an in-floor cooler in the ultra-wide bow walkway. The rear compartments are surprisingly big, too, because the ballast tanks are built into the hull with a low profile underneath the floor from the transom to amidships.
”Wakeboarding”
The B-52 shares the same hull as the more family oriented 220 V, though the MB has filled in the spray pockets for a smoother wakeboarding wake. The two big built-in ballast tanks hidden under the deck add a total of 1,600 pounds of water weight with the flip of a switch, a process easily monitored with the ballast gauges. Loaded down to its full factory potential without the need for added fat sacks or a ton of passengers, the B-52 generates very good-size wakes that satisfy advanced riders. There’s a clearly defined lip that lets you see exactly where you’re going to get your pop for grabby, floaty moves as well as a range of spins. It’s performance that delivers on the hype of those edgy wakeboard graphics.

Old     (superfluous)      Join Date: May 2012       07-15-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
A few suggestions:

Have your buddy go buy some Totally Awesome and clean the vinyl. Then have him clean the boat (dirt/dust on the dash in promo photos, really?)

Then retake the photos. The current crop of photos make the boat look really trashed.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluous View Post
A few suggestions:

Have your buddy go buy some Totally Awesome and clean the vinyl. Then have him clean the boat (dirt/dust on the dash in promo photos, really?)

Then retake the photos. The current crop of photos make the boat look really trashed.
agreed. Didn't look super cared for.
Old    alanp            07-15-2012, 7:49 PM Reply   
ditto
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-15-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
That carpet needs a good power washing as well. Trailer also looking a bit beat for a 35k boat.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-15-2012, 9:16 PM Reply   
i quickly glanced thru but... how many hours?
Old     (jaed)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-15-2012, 9:52 PM Reply   
I just picked up a 05 MB V23 Team Edition with 400 hours and the 2 speed transmission that is much much cleaner for $32,000.
The last owner was asking $35,000
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       07-15-2012, 10:14 PM Reply   
Pretty beat up for a '05. And this should probably have been posted in the "classifieds" section.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-15-2012, 11:00 PM Reply   
Let me preface this by saying that I like MB's...

But this has to take the cake for the most obnoxious MB thread ever. Where do I start...?

1) That boat is not worth $35K. You can get a 2009 TWB for $40K. That's a newer, bigger, better boat in every way for only $5k more. No brainer. Also consider the fact that you can get 2005 Malibus, Mastercrafts, and Nautiques for low to mid $30's. Which would you choose? I would price that boat at $29,995... not a penny more.

2) NADA is a joke.

3) That boat looks hammered!! Vinyl is thrashed, trailer is rusted, tires are shot, wheels are ugly, prop guard is bent, chrome is oxidized, dash is loaded with dirt, lockers are full of junk, seats are ripped. Forget what I said about $29,995. The number just went down to $24,995.

4) Is there anything more obnoxious than the misplaced classified ad...? The answer is... yes, there is! And that would be the "I'm-helping-my-buddy" misplaced classified ad.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-16-2012, 2:26 AM Reply   
I was gonna say that I like it for 25k or so. Nobody gets NADA for their boats right now unless you are a dealer and finance.
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-16-2012, 4:07 AM Reply   
I honestly wouldn't give $1 over $20k for that boat. It is a seriously beat POS...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-16-2012, 5:53 AM Reply   
Vinyl looks terrible man. New owner is looking at probably $5k for a new interior. That probably means the hours are pretty high on it. If the boat was super clean the ASKING price wouldn't be bad IMO.

Maintenance records and hours would be helpful.
Old     (Phoenix_Winch)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-16-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
well... haters gonna hate. Obviously the boat needs detailed which wont cover up the tears in the vinyl and he's the first to admit there are tears, God forbid we took a ton of pictures for you so you could get a good idea, maybe I should've posted a blurry camera phone picture from an old Nokia and some would say "That boat looks awesome" (might be how some people find their significant others...) Anyway the boat has been serviced regularly and runs excellent, the stereo sounds great and it is a fun boat. He may very well be open to offers- you'll just have to make the offer. If he gets the boat detailed I will take more pictures. I'll ask about records and see if I can get them up here.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-16-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
First impressions are everything. Its totally worth the couple hundo to get it fully detailed though. I swear that can easily make or break the sale. Luckily there are people out there like me that can see past the dirty and see thing for what they really are. Unfortunately there aren't many people like that though.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-16-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
I agree with most of what IXFE said.

1. I actually think the boat could be worth 35k or near but that would be for a mint boat that is not yellow. That boat needs a full professional detail, the trailer touched up, new trailer tires, trailer rims cleaned up, ripped vinyl replaced, etc. I don't care if you say the boat was regularly serviced, it has the appearance of a boat that has been neglected. Boats that have been neglected on the exterior/interior generally have been neglected mechanically. That boat looks like it has been left out consistantly for the hot Arizona sun to beat down on and for the dusty air to get in and not just once or twice. More like most of the time. Like Raf said, first impressions mean everything. You had the time to take all these good quality photos which is great, but all they are in reality are pictures of an abused/neglected boat. Clean the friggen boat if you want top dollar. If you wnat to sell it looking like that list for 30k and get rid of it quickly. I think some have gone a little overboard. That boat would probably sell quickly in the 27.5k-30k range even in that condition. Still a $200 detail and replacing at least that one seat would help the cause. On the other hand as bad as the vinyl looks for an 05 some buyers may see a boat that needs the entire interior replaced. That is 2 to 3 grand probably.

2. Like IXFE said nada is a joke. I completely agree when you are talking about trying to figure out how much a boat is actually worth. It is completely unaccurate. Now, I don't mind you using it to your advantage though and including it in the add. Potential buyers less in the know will see it as a good deal. Also, someone financing will see it as a boat that is easier to get financing for. That doesnt' mean your buddy will get 35k for the boat because of point 1.

3. pretty much brought up that in point 1.

4. Trying to get around paying for adds is completely annoying like IXFE said. This isn't the classifieds. Pay dave to put it in his classifieds, pay Ian to list it on onlyinboards.com, pay boattrader.com to list it there and put it on craigslist. There are a ton of places to list the boat.

I am going to add some stuff.

5. Get rid of all the crap from the manufacturer website and wakeboard magazine. It is just annoying to read and know one cares about it. IF you want to like those things fine. List the model, length, hours, engine and all the options. Follow tha twith a quick description. then put the NEW pictures with the boat CLEAN. get a new skin for that seat that is blown out. If your friend isn't going to do these 2 things list the boat for 30k.

In the condiiton
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
It has nothing to do with haters hate'n. If you are going to sell a house, car, boat, anything would you not clean the boat as much as possible regardless of the tears? It would at least make the boat no look so beat up. Sure you could spend the money to pay for a detail or you can take about an hour or so and do it yourself.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-16-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Uh... the trailer needs more than a "touch up." It is rusted out.

Look, even if he cleans this boat up, fixes the trailer, the ripped seats, the old tires, etc. he will not be getting $35K for it, unless he finds a sucker who thinks yellow tribal grapics are cool. Would you rather have a 2005 VLX or this 2005 B52? Would you rather have a 2005 SAN 210 or this 2005 B52? Would you rather have a 2005 X2 or this 2005 B52? See what I mean?

Not hating... just reporting what I see out there on the boat market.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
That rear deck picture is crazy awful -- look at the abuse -- look at the tears!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-16-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Uh... the trailer needs more than a "touch up." It is rusted out.

Look, even if he cleans this boat up, fixes the trailer, the ripped seats, the old tires, etc. he will not be getting $35K for it, unless he finds a sucker who thinks yellow tribal grapics are cool. Would you rather have a 2005 VLX or this 2005 B52? Would you rather have a 2005 SAN 210 or this 2005 B52? Would you rather have a 2005 X2 or this 2005 B52? See what I mean?

Not hating... just reporting what I see out there on the boat market.
DBC, I get your point and you may be right but someone who looks at this boat(if it was clean and in good shape) and compares to a SAN210 or X2 from 2005 some might pick the MB. The MB is much bigger and has more storage then either of those 2. This boat will also have more ballast that is under the floor. Outside of the yellow tribal graphics and condition I would take a 2005 B52 over a 2005 SAN or X2 pretty much every time. As for a 2005 VLX compared to a 2005 B52 I would say you are right and the VLX is a much easier choice. that said I haven't seen a ton of 2005 VLX's for 35k. That would be the very low end. Maybe the name of MAstercraft and nautique would be enough to make some(or most) buyers pick those boats over the MB but they really aren't comparable boats.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-16-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
well... haters gonna hate. Obviously the boat needs detailed which wont cover up the tears in the vinyl and he's the first to admit there are tears, God forbid we took a ton of pictures for you so you could get a good idea, maybe I should've posted a blurry camera phone picture from an old Nokia and some would say "That boat looks awesome" (might be how some people find their significant others...)
Lol theres not a camera phone crappy enough to make that look good. I'd say 25 and someone might be willing to fix it up but calling people haters for calling a duck a duck is crazy. That rear deck makes me cringe. At this point the damage is done and if I were him I'd unload it cheap to the first wally willing to write a check.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-16-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
and sorry this is all I can think of

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-16-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
Haters aren't hating; top dollar is being asked for a boat that isn't a top boat. I've seen several 05-06 VLX's in better condition for the same asking money. That boat in mint condition would be hard pressed to hit 35k. A good detailing and start the listing at under 30k and take anything over 25k would be reasonable.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-16-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
DBC, I get your point and you may be right but someone who looks at this boat(if it was clean and in good shape) and compares to a SAN210 or X2 from 2005 some might pick the MB. The MB is much bigger and has more storage then either of those 2. This boat will also have more ballast that is under the floor. Outside of the yellow tribal graphics and condition I would take a 2005 B52 over a 2005 SAN or X2 pretty much every time. As for a 2005 VLX compared to a 2005 B52 I would say you are right and the VLX is a much easier choice. that said I haven't seen a ton of 2005 VLX's for 35k. That would be the very low end. Maybe the name of MAstercraft and nautique would be enough to make some(or most) buyers pick those boats over the MB but they really aren't comparable boats.
Brett... I just PM'd you on a different subject. Go check it out.

Now, back to the hatefest.