Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-12-2018, 8:31 PM Reply   
2004 22V with the 6.0 ZR6, closed cooling.

I'm having issues with burning oil somewhere off the block. There is very little visible smoke to track down but the smell is strong. I'm also getting a weird boiling/popping sound that happens even when the boat is turned off, can't tell where the sound is coming from..

I had guy come up this evening who works at a shop and he was stumped.
  • Boat runs great
  • I am consuming oil
  • No missing or timing issues
  • Oil pressure around 40-50, goes to 70 or so under full throttle
  • Coolant temps are fine
  • Very little white smoke from exhaust at take off. Otherwise no other smoke from exhaust.
  • Boat ran fine last season, this is a new problem that happened first time on the water this year
  • Risers and manifolds do not seem abnormally hot but the starboard side is a bit hotter
  • Very slight trickle from riser gasket

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       06-13-2018, 7:14 AM Reply   
oil leak, leaking onto the exhaust manifold
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-13-2018, 9:09 AM Reply   
I'm thinking possible bad PCV as well..
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-13-2018, 10:54 AM Reply   
I pulled the pcv valve and it was clogged, I was able to blow it out and clear it. It might explain why the boiling stopped when the oil cap was removed.

Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-13-2018, 12:43 PM Reply   
Well, ran it on the hose in the driveway for over 20 min and there was zero smoke and some very faint smell. I thinking it might have solved the problem, however only a lake test can tell.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-13-2018, 10:57 PM Reply   
i didn't realized a pcv valve was all that important.. what exactly do they do? I was wondering if the belt was the culprit but glad you seem to have figured it out, i wish i had your luck that was an easy solution
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-14-2018, 9:05 AM Reply   
That little thing can wreak havoc on an engine. In my case I believe the engine was not breathing and building up pressure in the motor, thus forcing oil through the seals which were leaking on the manifolds causing the smoking.

When the tech was looking at my boat, he removed the oil filler cap and the boiling noise went away immediately. That got my wheels turning that it was an internal pressure issues. Some googling led me to the PCV valve.

A bad PCV valve or related component can produce a number of symptoms. For example, if the valve gets stuck in the closed position or clogs, you’ll notice one or more of these symptoms:

Increase in internal engine pressure
Failure of one or more oil seals or gaskets
Engine oil leaks
Moisture and sludge buildup inside the engine
Engine surges and possibly black smoke

http://dannysengineportal.com/pcv-va...bad-pcv-valve/