Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-28-2018, 9:16 AM Reply   
Like I said all boats have some compromises. My perfect boat would be A G top with Centurion wake and ride quality with a supra interior. Love this thread at least we are talking so boat season can't be far off.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-28-2018, 10:58 AM Reply   
Best bang for your buck 89’ sn2001. Bottom line. End of discussion.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-28-2018, 2:22 PM Reply   
As far as the not all boats surf well being fact I stand by that. Go out and try different boats I know I do and not all of them surf well . Talk with anyone who has been behind multiple boat and you will hear the same thing.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-28-2018, 3:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
As far as the not all boats surf well being fact I stand by that. Go out and try different boats I know I do and not all of them surf well . Talk with anyone who has been behind multiple boat and you will hear the same thing.

I have been behind a 23LSV, Tige Z3, Tige RZX2, Tige RZX3, MB F24, Tige 24Ve, Supra SE, Supreme 226, Mastercraft x30, Mastercraft x23, and a Cobalt R25. All of them surfed well because they were all dialed in. Even the Cobalt got to be pretty good with proper dialing.

So I respectfully disagree that in 2018, any bonafide and serious surf boat can be made to surf very well. Even the vaunted Centurions need the proper dialing like the rest of them.

If you’re taking dealer demo rides on boats and making a judgement call on whether or not they surf well you’re missing the best half of the story.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-28-2018, 5:46 PM Reply   
If you want the most bang for your buck find a left over boat directly from the manufacturer with a clean title. I haven’t taken delivery of a 2016 yet..... lol
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-02-2018, 8:50 AM Reply   
So when guys on here are saying that some of the new boats "don't surf well" what does that exactly mean?

Are these guys really skilled and do they mean they can't throw their extreme tricks like kickflips or 720 shuv-its behind certain boats because the wave isn't up to par? Or do they mean its harder for a 300lb guy drinking a beer to drop the rope?

On a side note I find it kind of annoying when people refer to the surf wave as the "wake". Boats have a "wake" for sports like Wakeboarding and Slalom and a "Wave" for hobbies like surfing.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-02-2018, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
On a side note I find it kind of annoying when people refer to the surf wave as the "wake". Boats have a "wake" for sports like Wakeboarding and Slalom and a "Wave" for hobbies like surfing.
I'm pretty sure the boat just has a wake, regardless of size or shape. Just because it looks bigger and cleaner doesn't mean it is a boat wave.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-02-2018, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
I'm pretty sure the boat just has a wake, regardless of size or shape. Just because it looks bigger and cleaner doesn't mean it is a boat wave.
I realize a boat only creates a “wake”. But come on, the whole industry refers to it as a surf “wave”. All the devices on the market are designed to improve the surf “wave”. When someone says their boats “wave” we all know exactly what they are talking about. When someone says their boats “wake” do you think of a boat with a tab deployed and a giant “wake” on one side of the boat or do you think of a traditional “wake”.

If someone posts on WW “show pictures of the wake” do you think of the “wakeboard wake” or do think of the surf wave? It’s honestly not a big deal, maybe I’m alone in my opinion. But if you are offended by my comments, than you must be a Surfer.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-02-2018, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
I realize a boat only creates a “wake”. But come on, the whole industry refers to it as a surf “wave”. All the devices on the market are designed to improve the surf “wave”. When someone says their boats “wave” we all know exactly what they are talking about. When someone says their boats “wake” do you think of a boat with a tab deployed and a giant “wake” on one side of the boat or do you think of a traditional “wake”.

If someone posts on WW “show pictures of the wake” do you think of the “wakeboard wake” or do think of the surf wave? It’s honestly not a big deal, maybe I’m alone in my opinion. But if you are offended by my comments, than you must be a Surfer.
Lol new Tige on the way, have never surfed but wakeboard. Guess I will be calling it a wave agter it arrives when I take it on the trailer down to the local Starbucks to talk with the other surfers.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       03-02-2018, 3:29 PM Reply   
The sport is called wake surfing not wave surfing. Yeah people call them waves because it's easier to differentiate from the high speed wakes when wakeboarding but it's a wake.
Old     (nick213)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-02-2018, 4:21 PM Reply   
I've never posted here on WW but I've been watching this thread from day one and as always here it's entertaining to read but a ****show. I love Lake Tahoe but would never take my boat there. If that's your go to lake, I'd go RI237, you MIGHT be able to find one right at or just above your budget. If not think about raising it just a little. Now ask me why I guess WW.....
Old     (nick213)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-02-2018, 6:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm02 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I’m excited to be a part of this forum and I’ve been reading a good number of post so far. There’s a lot of good information on this forum and I’ve already learned a lot. I look forward to learning a lot more and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

As the title states, I’m going to buy a new boat this season and I’m looking to stay in the <$100k range. My family consist of my wife and I plus two kids that under the age of 10. The boat will primarily be used to pull tubes, skis, wakeboards, surfing, and cruising around the lake.

I’m planning on buying new (unless I find a demo boat or a left over previous year model) and I’m planning on keeping it for at least 10 years. I kept my last boat (Crownline 192BR) for 12 years and I’d like to do the same this time around so resale value is important to me.

I’m only considering boats that are in the 23-25ft range and it will be trailered to several different lakes and not parked in a slip. I’m also only considering inboards and Jet Boats (Scarab) since I want to have the ability to surf behind the boat. We’ll probably have friends and family with us most of the time so it needs to hold at least 13 people.

The boats I’m considering are the Moomba Mojo, Axis A24, Mastercraft NXT22, and the Scarab 255 Wake Edition. Please feel free to add to my list if there are others that I should consider and I’ll check them out. I am planning on demoing all of the boats I’ve listed as I think that’s the only way to fairly evaluate each one.

I’ve listed some questions that I have below and hopefully the back ground info I’ve given will be helpful in answering my questions. I’d like to know the following and thank you for the advice!

-Which boat is the best value in terms of performance, features, reliability, and resale value
-Is it worth the money to go for the biggest engine available in each boat? I’m leaning towards yes
-Is the Raptor 440 worth spending an extra $5k on compared to the Raptor 400 (Moomba)
-Are better deals available if you order a boat vs buying an in-stock boat (no demo or holdover)
-In general, what are the most import options to select or look for on this style boat.
https://www.onlyinboards.com/2016-Ce...nia-71241.aspx
Old     (Cole)      Join Date: Sep 2017       03-02-2018, 7:42 PM Reply   
You never know WakeTractor may come out with a higher end boat near the 100k mark and take all the competition...
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-03-2018, 1:50 PM Reply   
Last year we got a new boat and went with a 2017 Mojo. The ease of autowake was a huge factor and they have only improved the system in 2018, especially with the G6 ballast system. The fit and finish is excellent in this segment and we went Mojo over SR for real estate purposes. Just really likes the added space of 23 ft. The boat with a full wetsounds sound system was less than $90k. We did go with the regular raptor 400 as we are about 150 feet above sea level but with the 15x13 prop it seems to do just fine. Gets on plane with about 4000 lbs in ballast.

Old     (AlbertaSurfer)      Join Date: May 2014       03-06-2018, 6:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
So when guys on here are saying that some of the new boats "don't surf well" what does that exactly mean?

Are these guys really skilled and do they mean they can't throw their extreme tricks like kickflips or 720 shuv-its behind certain boats because the wave isn't up to par? Or do they mean its harder for a 300lb guy drinking a beer to drop the rope?

I’ve always thought this too. 18 years ago we used to surf my windsurf board behind a friends Nautique 196 with just a fat sac couch in the back and people sitting on the gunwale. Now it seems nobody can surf anything without a 4’ wave with tons of “push”, but all I see on Edmonton area lakes are people hanging on to the rope, working on “going ropeless”

It’s not wakesurfing if you’re holding the rope still, it’s just close wakeboarding. If you can surf, you can surf anything. Of course other boats are better than others, but just like wakeboarding, 90% of the public doesn’t need the pro level wakes.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-06-2018, 2:07 PM Reply   
This is my takeaway from that statement....behind my boat which has an awesome wave, you can do tricks, mess them up and 90% of the time still recover cause the wave forms right and has enough push at the back to recover and get back into, but I have been behind boats where the sweet spot is so small that one small messup and you will wash out, no matter how good you are at pumping or recovering. I agree with that too since I have experienced it on several boats, however on most boats now they are plenty good if you have skills. Maybe take some getting used too cause different that what I ride every day, but still awesome.

Obviously "most" people are noobs at surfing and have not figured it out yet, the sport is exploding so more new people every month getting into it. Its easy to do, but does take some athletic ability to progress and a lot of ability to actually be good at it. Lots of people are just learning, many on our lakes are the same way but I also know lots of intermediate surfers like myself that can go wireless and do some tricks, jumps, etc...also know a few pros who I watch as often as possible so I can keep getting better. I hear ya tho, I dont do anything without trying to get better at it, seems like a lot of people just wanna stand back there and do nothing, that gets boring as hell.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-07-2018, 6:18 AM Reply   
A better wave is always more fun. Even if you suck! I really don’t get the high and mighty outlook as stated above. Everyone starts with a rope and looks like a noob for a while. And yes, it’s ok to call it wakesurfing in that situation. C’mon man! Don’t be such an arse about it!

I teach people all the time too, so we have roped people all the time. They love it, and it’s a necessary progression.

And don’t disparage the 300# beer drinkers too, their experience ropeless is as satisfying to them as your trick-laden runs. It’s all good folks!

I am always interested in a better wave with more push. Always, no matter my skill level. It’s more fun!

Last edited by dakota4ce; 03-07-2018 at 6:23 AM.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2018, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Not much choice with your range.. you said 23-25 but the NTX22 ain’t one.. if you want a 22ft. Some other deals may come thru your choices tho.
Personnaly i would forget about MasterCraft not because they ain’t good but because you gonna take the economical one. Like I would prefer a fully loaded Acura instead of a strip down Mercedes almost naked and chopped everywhere for lowering the price.

For the raptor engine it’s up to you if you want to pay 5K for a computer flash (because yeah it’s the exact same engine instead the 440 is flash)
I would take a 400 or the roush (I think it’s 550).

For a long term boat. I would avoid Axis too. It’s just my personal opinion but They are’nt monohull si that mean for me maybe some trouble in the long time.. like stress cracks. And for me axis was kind of over priced for what it give. Even prefered the Moomba product and less pricy.

Your resale value gonna depend on how you keep your boat clean. Not very the brand. Moomba are great for resale value because they are not expensive, they lost big in the beginning but they top a price pretty soon. So Moomba is great when you want to change your boat each 4 5 years. Low investment, lower losses.

Moomba are great product. The Mojo is a pretty damn good overall boat. Perfect for families. It’s an entry line but it’s perfect when you have a budget and want to do lots of thing and not just one (like just surfing). The best bang for the buck . And for you that’s pretty much What you want because 100K for a 23footer it’s kind of the only one.

Im a Nautique fan. Primary I would say a 230, but it’s a little bit higher than your budget. But you have so much more it ain’t comparable.
Much more reliable too.
Instead of MasterCraft with Nautique you don’t really pay for the name. You pay what you have a rock solid boat for years. And 230 i think it’s the perfect one because the price ain’t that big and it’s smaller than the G line (wich I prefer because G series are a bit big, too heavy for me. Harder to transport when your a lot on the road).
I have a 210. Paid flush 100k fully equiped. Not one options is missing. (Expect the H6 motor, have the ZR409)
And never had trouble with 6-7 people on the boat. Me, my wife, my sister his housband and their 2 little monster haha. 21 ft plenty enough for me.
And if you want to surf... forget the scarab

Hope it helps! Good luck
i agree with most of this, your initial list are the wrong choices for a 10plus year boat..100k is nice budget, can that be called a budget lol, but id look at other boats LIke the Nautique, Malibu vs Axis, and Supra vs Moomba, , im sure there are some nice MCs out there as well..

I just bought a used 2004 Mailbu vlx and its in better shape than a lot of 5yr old boats on your list..just saying..
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-28-2018, 1:48 PM Reply   
You could get in a base 23LSV around 105-110
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-28-2018, 8:04 PM Reply   
There is no denying that the Moomba max produces the best wave for the money at the moment. Watch wake 9’s review, personally I think it was better than the g23. I am not what so ever a fan of Moomba either.
Old     (Mgigs7)      Join Date: Mar 2016       03-29-2018, 5:40 AM Reply   
After reading this whole thread I’m going to need 30 min back! 15 behind at dialed G23 and 15 behind a slammed Ri257 “WAKESURFING”
To The OP-
Many points have been made, most are true. Find the boat with the best fit and finish for U. You’re not going to be surfing the whole time.
Buy a new holdover from anywhere just make sure you have that brands dealer near you. Really low hour options are available also.
Many $100K $115K boats can be picked up for well under $100K.
Don’t spend the entire $100K you will need several surf boards....! New topic to start!

16 Supra SG550