Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-01-2018, 6:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
Not to mention, I am forced to carry (and pay for) a $2 million liability policy. How much is my premium going to increase if I decide to join the armed teacher's brigade?
Texas Law Shield protects me for 130 a year.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-02-2018, 2:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Texas Law Shield protects me for 130 a year.
But you aren't tasked with the safety of 25 teenagers each class.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-02-2018, 6:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
But you aren't tasked with the safety of 25 teenagers each class.
That's if I display my weapon or use it. They will pay all my attorneys fees 24/7 no limits and no deductible . The also have a bail bond /expert witness option I believe is 35.00 more a year. They have a multi- state option for those who travel.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-02-2018, 10:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
That's if I display my weapon or use it. They will pay all my attorneys fees 24/7 no limits and no deductible . The also have a bail bond /expert witness option I believe is 35.00 more a year. They have a multi- state option for those who travel.
This is really interesting and I'm going to confess that I really had no idea that such a stand-alone liability policy existed.

Is this for ANY display or use of your firearm, or are there exclusions? Covers negligence, I'm assuming. What about willful misconduct/gross negligence (i.e. you "pull a gun" on someone and something bad ends up happening)? I'm assuming that there's probably an exclusion for use of the gun in the commission of a crime (which may include assault/battery)? Does it cover use of the firearm in course and scope of your employment?

Actually if you have a link to the policy document I'd be real interested in just reading that.

Back to the liability question tho, I think teachers would probably be shielded by sovereign immunity, but the scope of that shield is going to be a question of state law (i.e. likely to vary from state to state). And then there are the closer cases, like what happens when teach uses the gun while on an after school field trip with a school club? In course and scope of employment or not?