Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-18-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
I'm from Wisconsin and want to head twards tulsa Oklahoma to visit a friend. Goin to pull the boat down, was wondering if ppl could give some suggestions on some good boarding lakes or rivers? Would maybe like to stay on house boat or hotel, don't really care. Any suggestions on lakes or rivers? Thanks
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
Broken Bow, get a cabin or camp
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-18-2014, 10:52 AM Reply   
If going through western Missouri, take highway 65 and can get good water in Warsaw, mo. And then straight south to table rock, then skip to beaver lake in nw Arkansas, then into Ok, which has tons of lakes.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-18-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
Broken Bow is out of the way. It is located in SE Oklahoma while Tulsa is in the NE. Your best bet is Grand Lake, Oolagah Lake, Keystone Lake on the Arkansas River, and Skiatook Lake. You have a ton of options, the limiting factor will be how windy it gets.
Old     (MylesK)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-18-2014, 11:25 AM Reply   
If you are looking for strictly a good wakeboarding spot it is hard to beat the Verdigris river. It is just NE / E of Tulsa and you'll more than likely have it to yourself minus a few random barges putting by every few hours. Even on a windy day you can find a nice long stretch to ride that is well protected. The river is part of the McClellan–Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System so you can take it all the way to the Mississippi if you wanted to. If you do that make sure you bring lots of gas... Only drawback about that place is after it rains a significant amount like it has the past few weeks the river seems to accumulate a lot of debris that you will need to be aware of.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-18-2014, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesK View Post
If you are looking for strictly a good wakeboarding spot it is hard to beat the Verdigris river. It is just NE / E of Tulsa and you'll more than likely have it to yourself minus a few random barges putting by every few hours. Even on a windy day you can find a nice long stretch to ride that is well protected. The river is part of the McClellan–Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System so you can take it all the way to the Mississippi if you wanted to. If you do that make sure you bring lots of gas... Only drawback about that place is after it rains a significant amount like it has the past few weeks the river seems to accumulate a lot of debris that you will need to be aware of.
We ride on some creeks off the Ar River just a couple hours south of you guys Best riding I have ever found!
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-18-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I will do some research.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-18-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
Table Rock is a scenic lake and arguably Shell Knob is where it is most scenic. It's at the western end of the lake, so closer to Tulsa. There's a Master Craft dealership there (I've always known it as Williams Brothers but I've only met and seen one). You can probably call there and get help with where to stay, where to ride, and probably can coax one of the workers there to go out with you. In years past, they had some pretty talented riders. Anyway, take that for what it's worth. The water in NE Oklahoma is very different. It's a prairie environment. I haven't seen much of Beaver but it looks to be Table Rock's equal at the very least, except higher elevation, with higher surrounding hills.
Old    cguse13            06-20-2014, 7:32 AM Reply   
I use the verdigris river several times a year. I put in at Rodgers point, I live in Broken Arrow, and have been considering trying bluff point that will put you in just above the lock at newt graham lake. However, i don't know anyone who has used this access point personally so i am a little leery of it. I know the bass fishermen use it so i assume its good.
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-13-2014, 6:22 AM Reply   
Tenkiller Lake. It's just SE of Tulsa by about 30 minutes. I live in OKC and drive 2.5-3 hours to Tenkiller because it has the most consistent water quality, clarity, and less wind.

Grand Lake isn't too bad, but it can get blown out pretty bad.

Skiatook is a dirty lake IMHO.

Beaver, Greers Ferry, Norfork, Bull Shoals, are all great lakes in Northern Arkansas. (I grew up on Norfork)

good luck and have fun.
Old     (raceman121)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-13-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
tenkiller is where i live its an awesome lake! also the verdigris river nearly in tulsa is awesome. tenkiller is an hour and 15 min away from midtown tulsa if i was to suggest where to put in on tenkiller i would say cany ridge merina or six shooters. for the best wake boarding wake stay on the northern side of the lake anything past party cove is very choppy.