Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-12-2015, 1:10 PM Reply   
So i realize I surf more and more as I get older, but I still love to wakeboard. Looking to upgrade possibly this winter. My current boat is 2003 Supra Launch SSV. Absolutely love the wakeboard wake. I feel like I've got the surf wake pretty dialed on both sides. Would love more space because I have virtually none with ballast bags full and tubes for kids and cooler to keep us hydrated. I've been reading some good things about the Supreme S226, which suggest a killer surf wake, but pretty bad wakeboard wake unless you get above 23-24 mph which isn't good for my son who just starting jumping this summer. ...so this will turn into the 'ol best boat for my budget thread, but I'm really stumped, so here goes priority list..
1.) space: always out with at least 8 people and kids who like to tube and need room for cooler, tubes, and surf and wake gear.
2.) surf: hate to be selfish, but I surf more than I wakeboard now so that narrowly beats out wakeboard wake
3.) wakeboard: I still love to wakeboard and my son just started w2w this summer at about 18.5mph and really want to make sure he can continue and enjoy wakeboarding.

Budget: probably 40-45 max!

Really open to any boat. But some that peak my interest are the Axis, MB Tomcat, Supreme 226. Tige Z series...

...and my budget may be unrealistic to my boat preferences listed above, so boat options that fit my budget would be ideal. ....possibly up to 50k

Last edited by hawk22; 10-12-2015 at 1:15 PM. Reason: :probably turned into an emoji face
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-12-2015, 1:29 PM Reply   
^and if possible a boat that does not require additional bags inside the boat to produce the surf wake...
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-12-2015, 1:59 PM Reply   
Well you're hard pressed to get a s226 for that anyway so not a problem. I'm in your same "boat"

Yours is harder because of the kid though, but you might get 19 unloaded on some great surf boats. I know Mitch bergsma threw down behind a Enzo sv230.

I'm assuming you mean additional bags, as long as not visible, are okay.

Perhaps a 247 lsv

226 can make a decent boarding wake.

https://instagram.com/p/5HyIJOFUao/

If you can afford it... Seems to me the best world class surf boat with a bomb wakeboard wake is an fs22

Adam fields has a pretty mackin wake at 22.6
https://instagram.com/p/7IdrNRiZpl/

And I mean... He teaches a boarding school with it

Otherwise axis t22 probably if you can pull it off

Last edited by King12; 10-12-2015 at 2:05 PM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-12-2015, 3:35 PM Reply   
The problem is what usually makes for the best surf wake tends to make the wakeboard wake a challenge at the low speeds.
The deeper v hull boats produce phenomenal wakesurf wakes, but are tricky to dial in for Wakeboarding. This has somewhat changed just a touch with surf systems these days but I don't care what mfg you are the best surf wake is still produced by listing.

Hands down the ideal boat your looking for in you price range is the Axis T22. You may be able to find a used Axis T22 at you high end in the low 50's.

I know for sure one boat that would be in your range with an awesome surf wake and a pretty macking wakeboard wake and that is the Centurion Avalanche. However it's not very kid friendly. In a close second you may be able to find a Malibu 23LSV in your range as well. Great surf, and can also have mellow wakeboard wake.

An 08-09-10 Super Air Nautique 210 is also doable. Pretty good surf and still clean at 18.5mph. Part of reason I bought mine with two young riders.

Since you brought up Tige. I'd throw the RZR or RZ2 in the mix. An RZR is a downsize tho compared to your SSV
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-12-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
Went from 2001 22ssv to 2014 rzr with vx last year. Rzr surf is way better. Wakeboard is different, much steeper than the supra, especially highly weighted. Wake for surf and wakeboard is able to be customized more on the rzr. Can get down to about 17.4 for wb.

Space wise Rzr feels smaller in cabin - it's a little narrower and the sides are much higher. However, there's more a bit more storage due to the depth and since not everything has to be filled up with ballast like I presume your ssv is (it doesn't have under seat storage either I presume).

We typically ride with 5 people sometimes more with kids. We've have 10-12 people on occasion, but that's too many for everyday use. 5 adults in main cabin is comfort max for moving around. In front, two adults or 3 teens.

Any of the other Tige models (none rzr/r20) are going to be full width and roomier. Not sure if you can find a rz2 or z3 in your range, but they would fair better for your number of people and storage desire. Don't know a lot about the 22ve models but they would also appear to meet your goals for space and surf wake.

Last edited by 99Bison; 10-12-2015 at 8:06 PM.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-12-2015, 10:11 PM Reply   
Any of the Sangers have a good surf wake and a very good wakeboard wake. You can run a 215 relatively slow for an newbie if you have the Bennett tab on it
You should be able to get a fairly new V215 or a bit older V237 in that range at this time of year.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-13-2015, 7:36 AM Reply   
I would suggest looking around for a used Malibu 23LSV. You could always get one then add one of many inexpensive (relative term there) wake shapers that are out there to really clean up and elongate the surf wave. Then just remove it for wakeboarding. Plus they are very spacious. You can usually find a nice one in the 2005-2008 range. I know some people that have them and have really got an incredible surf wave dialed in with them. I'd be hard pressed to say though that you could get a clean wakeboard wake at anything below 21mph. However if he is able to go wake to wake, then he should have pretty good board control already and the 3mph speed increase shouldn't even be noticeable to him!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-13-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
^ my buddy's 2004 lsv is clean wakes all the way down to 17 mph at 65'
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-13-2015, 9:51 AM Reply   
Older Tige's should also be a consideration as they have a bit of a V which is what you are looking for with a surf boat. The 22Ve, 24Ve's, RZ2, RZ4, Z1, and Z3 make great wakes (some better than others) and I'm more than happy with the wakeboard wake on my 09 22ve. The TAP's help you adjust the wake so you can adjust the wake for your preference. It's good at lower speeds as well.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-13-2015, 11:08 AM Reply   
How is the room inside the sangers? I've heard great things bout the surf wake on 215, but they seem small in pics. Never been in one. haven't heard any first hand experience bout the 237.

Last edited by hawk22; 10-13-2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Change
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-14-2015, 4:55 PM Reply   
8 in a V215 is easy even if they're adult sized. 12 is very full. Remember it's under 22' . Lots of room in an 237.
Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       10-15-2015, 7:54 AM Reply   
^^^^^^ What he said, I cant speak for many of the other boats you mentioned, but a V237 would fit in your budget well. We love our V215, it doesn't have fancy touch screens and adjustable surf systems, but its solid built, smooth in all water conditions, and is only 3 simple flips of a rocker switch away from a very respectable wake and wave (they ski well too if you are in to that). This Ad has a picture of a 237 with 11 people in it for reference.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-San...ada-51146.aspx

Last edited by Tolleson2354; 10-15-2015 at 7:56 AM. Reason: im dumb
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-15-2015, 8:16 AM Reply   
I love my Sanger V215! I don't have much to compare it to. It throws a good size wake for wakeboarding and we were surfing off the stock ballast over the summer. I hear they water ski rather well for a V-drive but I have yet to try it. I love the layout and storage. It handles choppy water very well in my opinion and handles great. If you plan too run 8 people or more all the time the V215 is going to be too small. I would definitely look a the V237 if that were the case. I am not even sure the V230 would be that comfy with 12 people on board. I typically only have 4-8 people on board and the V215 has more than enough room for that. I plan on doing the hard tank to 1100lb bag conversion kit this winter to get an even bigger surf wave. I am like you where I don't want to have to run a bunch of external bags.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-16-2015, 6:18 PM Reply   
the budget.. double it and and all your dreams get true ;-)
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-16-2015, 7:46 PM Reply   
The T22 is definitely a great option. The ease of surfing and the awesome wakeboard wake makes it a great choice.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-16-2015, 10:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
the budget.. double it and and all your dreams get true ;-)
Yep, then you could have a V215 and aV237. Or If you only go out in flat water, a used Malibu or MC