Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mosso2486)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-13-2015, 12:19 PM Reply   
Hi, I'm looking to get into wakeboarding and trying to decide what used boat would be best. I'd really like to be able to wakesurf with the boat as well. I've been reading a bunch of posts and I think I've narrowed it down to 2001+ supras, 2004+ Moombas, and early 2000s nautiques. I'm looking to spend between 20k-30k. Any feedback or suggestions would be great!

thanks
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-13-2015, 12:49 PM Reply   
Any specific models you're looking at? Because a 04 Moomba LSV vs. a Super Air .... nautique wins. If its XLV vs. Super Air (old style) I would go XLV.

Also for $30k I would look at Wakesetter VLXs or LSVs if you want a surf/wakeboard boat.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-13-2015, 12:57 PM Reply   
I was just shopping in that price range and looking at the used nautiques. I thought they felt pretty small and didn't care for the room they had or the layout of the 210. I really wanted to like the nautique because of the build quality.
Old     (Minnesotasurfer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       08-13-2015, 1:07 PM Reply   
2004 Super Air 210. Amazing wake and if you load it down you can surf it well and of course you are getting Nautique quality.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-13-2015, 1:13 PM Reply   
Well, of the three, you're going to get the most for your money with the Moomba. I got my 2008 XLV for $30k (admittedly a decent deal) and couldn't be happier. It's roomy and has a ton of features that are really ahead of its time and stuff that often is found in newer/nicer boats (like the stadium seating, the flip up backrests, etc.) I don't regret having a 23' boat at all. love all the extra room.

Sure, something might have a slightly better wakeboard wake, or a slightly better surf wave, but if you're just getting into it, the wake/wave aren't likely to be better/worse enough for you to even notice. It's not like you need a pro level wake on your first wakeboat. But getting something with a great layout and perfect pass is important.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-13-2015, 2:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
2008 XLV for $30k
Agreed here, if you can find an XLV, that is what I would do.

XLV > 210 > Launch 22ssv > Launch 21v > Moomba LSV

.... If you could find a 24ssv supra for 30k, I would put that at the top of the list. I would also throw in a Wakesetter 23' LSV at the top if you can find one (we paid $24k for our 04' Wakesetter LSV) .... and I would put the VLX = 210

A few near you that I would consider looking into -

Tige 24v - big boats are great - http://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Tig...sey-51026.aspx

23 LSV - http://www.onlyinboards.com/2000-Mal...hio-51234.aspx

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 08-13-2015 at 2:50 PM.
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       08-13-2015, 2:52 PM Reply   
Malibu Wakesetter VLX 2001-2004, big boat that makes big rampy wakeboard wakes and pretty good wakesurf wakes. More interior space and storage than the SAN210. takes a good amount of ballast to get a huge wave/wake

Super air nautique 210 2000-2004, makes steep and big wakebaord wakes and a pretty mediocre wakesurf wave. Solidly and smartly built, the PCM GT40 motor is great and lasts forever with proper care. takes less ballast to make a big wake

Sanger v210 any year, harder to find east of the rockies. good wakeboard wake and a good wakesurf wake, easy to weight down. Kinda small interior due to narrow beam and low freeboard.

Tige 22V/22Ve: really big, smooth, long wakesurf wave. pretty good wakeboard wake, gets big with a lot of weight, but takes some speed to clean up. wide beam makes a ton of interior room. tower built quality can be hit/miss.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-13-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post

XLV > 210
wut?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-13-2015, 6:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
wut?
Did you read what he was looking for:

Quote:
I'm looking to get into wakeboarding and trying to decide what used boat would be best. I'd really like to be able to wakesurf with the boat as well.
The SANTE wake isn't the most beginner friendly wake, the lack of transition makes it tough to learn on.... and it doesn't surf all that well. The XLV with the gravity games package will need zero extra ballast for a long time, has a big rampy wake and a wakeplate to tweak things .... and can surf far better than the 210. Also the XLV is a boat you can bring everyone and their brother .... the 210 is tight after about 5 people.

If the was looking for a pure wakeboard boat and wasn't just getting into the sport, yeah 210 wins because its wake is one of the best ever.... but to learn on its not very forgiving.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-13-2015, 8:36 PM Reply   
I'd go with a Nautique based on resale only. The 210 will do whatever you want, and if you decide to get out of it, there are plenty of people looking for them. A 10 year old skier's choice boat...not so much.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-13-2015, 8:50 PM Reply   
In that price range vdrive resale value concern is going to be minimal. I'm with sidekick on this one.
Old     (Mosso2486)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-14-2015, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Any specific models you're looking at? Because a 04 Moomba LSV vs. a Super Air .... nautique wins. If its XLV vs. Super Air (old style) I would go XLV.

Also for $30k I would look at Wakesetter VLXs or LSVs if you want a surf/wakeboard boat.
Thanks, I don't have any specific models in mind, but I would like a V-drive and a lot of room.
Old     (Mosso2486)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-14-2015, 5:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback! I think Nautique is out since it seems like they are on the smaller side for space and don't have beginner friendly wakes.

What years should I be looking at for Moomba LSV and/or XLV?

How big of a difference will there be from a 23-24ft boat compared to a 21ft boat room wise?

is it easier or harder to control the wake with a bigger or smaller boat?
Old     (james)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-14-2015, 6:18 AM Reply   
I have a 2008 Moomba XLV and love it. If you could get an 08 or newer you would be set as I believe it was a year they updated it however I also would not be afraid of an older one. I love the size of the xlv as I have a big family and we always seem to have a big crew that wants to be on the water.
Attached Images

Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-14-2015, 6:44 AM Reply   
As far as the moomba Lsv goes I would look for a 2006+, they are bigger than previous years. I had an 08 Lsv and it was a great boat with a great wake. I learned a handful of inverts and spins behind it. I don't surf much but it had a nice clean wave. A buddy of mine just picked up an 05 moomba xlv, the size over the Lsv is great and while we were running real light on ballast maybe 1000 lbs plus a couple guys the wake shape was great and I'm looking forward to trying it out with a bunch more weight. We did surf it and got the wake to clean up with only a 250lb sac on the surf side and a couple people. Again with some more weight I think it would throw a great wave.
Old     (Mosso2486)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-14-2015, 7:04 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any feedback on early 2000s Supras? I've seen a couple around 25k. Do they have a decent wake and how are they on room? the ones I've seem are 21-22ft
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       08-14-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
I know everyone keeps plugging the XLV so I had to add fuel to the fire but we love ours!!!! None of us are great wakeboarders but we all like to ride! And the surfing thing has been fun to figure out this year. I'm very happy with our 09 and the storage in this boat is awesome, not to mention being able to stack a bunch of people in there. I was right at the 30 range then I started adding goodies and a wrap.
Attached Images

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-14-2015, 8:10 AM Reply   
I was just in the exact same position as the OP looking for my boat. Same price range and same exact concerns. Something not too hardcore for wake that allowed to learn on and was able to wakesurf. It hasnt'been mentioned but I'll plug the Sanger V215. I liked the layout, features and capability of this boat. I just bought this boat a few weeks ago. It was garage kept, one owner, 96 hours with factory ballast and I paid $26K right in the middle if the price range.

Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       08-14-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
I would have been serious about a Sanger if we had them in my area. We rarely see them this far east but that was on my list as well when I was shopping.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-14-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
What years should I be looking at for Moomba LSV and/or XLV?
I would skip the LSV completely... if you're considering that, just go with the 210 ... same size, but 210 will evolve better as your progress.

If I was you with $30k burning a hole in my pocket my top 3 boats on the list would be:
1. Wakesetter 23 LSV
2. Mobius XLV
3. MasterCraft X-30

Then shifting to 21' foot boats
210 Nautique / VLX Wakesetter / Supra Launch
Old     (Mosso2486)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-15-2015, 3:26 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-15-2015, 6:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosso2486 View Post
Does anyone have any feedback on early 2000s Supras? I've seen a couple around 25k. Do they have a decent wake and how are they on room? the ones I've seem are 21-22ft

The supra launch 22ssv is the "better version" of the moomba lsv. The 22ssv will surf well and has a great wakeboard wake. 21v will have a great wakeboard wake but not good surf wake.

Having owned a 22ssv there was plenty of space for us - typically 4-6+ adults and sometimes a few kids too and most importantly loved the wake.

Wake is great for the money in all reality. They also have a good amount of room and like all boats of that era not super deep. I think the 22ssv is wider than 21v so that gives a bit more person space as well. You can also have a ton of hidden weight in the 22ssv so no bags laying around... Unless you want to, the wake just keeps getting bigger and stays clean with weight.
Old     (Dgsalsbury)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-19-2015, 9:48 AM Reply   
Not trying to jack your thread but have you look at an older x star or 205v? I've ridden a lot of boats, Malibu, axis and MasterCraft and have been really impressed with the wake behind this style hull MasterCraft builds. The wake is great and similar to a Nautique 210 and VLX due to the narrower beam and with the same upgraded weight and prop config (depending on you level of riding) it will boot you to the moon. The boat surfs good too if you like to do skim style tricks. You can find em in the low 20's.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&d=1439213829