Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-01-2015, 5:35 PM Reply   
I'm gonna say it falls under accessories to post here... Does anyone use a home weather station? I was looking at the act-rite and another by Davis that mount outside and link to an indoor screen for monitoring that can also upload to weather underground or similar weather sites...anyone have experience with these?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-01-2015, 10:34 PM Reply   
I have a acur-right. I have it hooked to a wind direction/ speed and rain monitor. As well as temp gauge.
You can run it wireless or for longer battery life and more accurate data you can run a cat 5 or telephone cable to it. I glance at it from time to time but I don't rely on it as much as simply looking out the window ect or checking your I phone.

I do admit during a storm I do run to the wall where its mounted to see the wind speed and direction. It stores high and low temps and wind speeds.
My advice is mount the display in your bedroom next to your bed. That way you can see storm information when it's keeping you up at night.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-02-2015, 7:12 AM Reply   
I almost sent you a pm, I figured you'd probably have one.. How accurate do you think the wind speed and temps are? Those are the two things Im primarily concerned with. If the temp is +/-2 degrees and +/-1mph on wind would be good enough for me. I'm not a scientist but for what I need it for and the $200 id like it to be fairly accurate
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2015, 11:23 AM Reply   
My station is pretty accurate. I check it compared to my I phones Internet weather info. But the internet info doesn't account for micro climate. Example if your at the top of a hill it could be or feel cooler then some where else. And I'm not sure if they've updated it but when you run a wireless system the information that gets sent back to the indoor unit is not instantaneous it reports every 20 to 30 seconds to save on power or battery. where's if you have a wired system as soon as the wind gusts it will register it right away. They could have changed to updated the Technology or that instant information may not even be important to you.

My sensors are a three-part broken up system so you can mount the temperature sensor in a area that is not directly in the sun (like under a eve) to give you the most accurate readings where as the wind sensor and rain pick up our also separate and you can mount those in an area differently as to give you the best results. One disadvantage of the all in one units is the sun might not be in the best location to charge the onboard battery or pick up the rain or register the wind you just have to pick a location that's works.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2016, 4:50 PM Reply   
Hey Cost Co has great deal on Accurite Weather stations now. My Lacross starting not reporting after 5+ years of service.

I picked up one of these $79 at cost co and over $130 on Amazon
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2016, 4:53 PM Reply   
The weather head is awesome is a Wind Speed, Wind Direction, Temp, Humidity, and Rainfall gauge. It reports to over 300 feet away wireless and has a solar panel battery assist to prolong battery life at the weather head.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2016, 4:57 PM Reply   
^^^^ My unit mounted to a pole I already installed to hold my Wilson Cell phone signal booster so installation was simple. But the mount doesn't need a pole it can mount to a fence or side of the house.

The Dashboard or Display is awesome. It shows Rainfall for the Day and rainfall totals for the month. Ooooo that's right I forgot to mention the weather head also collects rainfall data.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2016, 5:02 PM Reply   
^^^^ the left side of the display is all Outdoor temps and readings and the right side of the display is all indoor info. I had just hooked this unit up and snapped a pic so of the display sonall the info was not accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NI5...AgL&ref=plSrch
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-22-2016, 11:28 AM Reply   
i saw that at costco the other day too but didn't have time to check the model# and compare it.... does it have landbridge built in( i think thats what its called anyway... its a requirement to report all the data to the internet) I'd like it to report the weather underground app so when i check the app, my station would be the one reporting the readings. I live in a small town so there is only one or two stations currently reporting and one is inaccurate
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-22-2016, 11:29 AM Reply   
do you feel the wind speed is accurate? That was another important factor for me..
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-22-2016, 4:49 PM Reply   
The unit above. Has the "Ability" to report to the Internet . You need to buy a separate piece called a Bridge. The weather station sends all of its info to the bridge (wirelessly and that bridge) then transmits it to your private connection or wireless device (phone/I pad)

The wind or other information transmits every 3-5 seconds. So you will hear the wind pick up and then moments later it will report the latest high or current wind speed. It also will tell you the average wind speed and Highs and lows.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-22-2016, 4:52 PM Reply   
On the left you see the Low wind speed and on the Right is the Hi wind speed
In the center is the current wind speed and also the direction. It also records what directions the wind has been, (wind history) that's the lighter mark above the current wind direction
Attached Images

Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-27-2016, 8:55 AM Reply   
We have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 that we have used for almost 8 years. I have to find a better place to mount the wind vane as it is too protected where it is. I used to host a personal website for it but this year just decided to hook it up to Wunderground.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal...AINE38#history
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-31-2016, 5:35 PM Reply   
The weather station I got has this Extra piece.($99) it's called a bridge. I grabs the I for from the weather station and transmits it to your phone via a App and a App account. (Free) so you can see your homes weather info from anywhere in the world. Here is what the bridge looks like.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-31-2016, 5:36 PM Reply   
Here is a screen shot of the phone, from the "rainfall page"
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-31-2016, 5:39 PM Reply   
Up to 4 inches of rain since the 15th of this month.
Attached Images

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-28-2016, 9:05 PM Reply   
wow i didn't realize you had updated so much info on this unit but decided to check back on the thread as i just picked one up. How is yours holding up? I'm actually glad i waited though- I just picked up the newest unit costco sells for $60 and it hooks to the computer through the screen and reports to weather underground out of the box without the need for the landbridge. The screen is still "color" lcd but the layout is a little different. So far im pretty happy with it though. my only complaint is the mounting tower it comes with could stand to be about 6" longer. Wish the package would've come with an extension. I'll probably use a 3/4" pvc coupling and some pvc to extend the existing mount. A coupling fits a little loose on the mount but i'm sure with some epoxy or heavy duty adhesive and a few screws it would be secure and durable enough.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-29-2016, 10:15 AM Reply   
Well I need to check out my Instructions Because the Rain fall total seems to have stopped. I know Rainfall Totals stop and start not on calander years. Example rainfall totals in california start July 1st 2015 and would go threw to June 30th of 2016, Then. Start again July 1 of 2016 and go until June 30 of 2017. And so on. I think in need to Reset or Restart my Rainfall gauge? Let me know what your instructions say about that.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-29-2016, 6:07 PM Reply   
mine started out with rainfall reading from installing and the rain bucket tipping which is how it keeps track i believe so i had to reset the control panel by holding the reset button on the back. Mine didn't come with instructions i just looked for my model on the acurite website and downloaded from there
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2017, 9:48 AM Reply   
I thought I would update this thread. I now have a few friends on the Accurate weather station band wagon. its great to have a few people giving feed back on the same product. With all the rain we have been getting it's cool to keep track of the rainfall in your neck of the woods. And if you are lucky enough to have a second home it's great to be able to peek in on the conditions at your place Example. Wind/Rain/Temp. The internet innerface that grabs the weather info from the outdoor wind,temp and rain sensor and sends it to you phone is cool. You can toggle or switch between locations super easy, like I said I bought a 2 nd unit from Amazon for $135 it's got everything you need to get up and running . Here is a link to the unit I just got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011V...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note there are 3 different display options. Depending on where you are going to mount the display you can choose what one works best for you. The Black in in the link is the "dark theme" it's good because the light it puts out is vey low and will not keep you awake at night if you put it in your bedroom. That's why I got it. The display I posted pictures of at the beginning of this thread is SUPER bright even on its lowest setting and will light up your entire room. Don't get that one if you plan on putting it in your bedroom.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2017, 9:51 AM Reply   
Here is the "Dark Theme" display on my nightstand
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2017, 9:56 AM Reply   
Here is a crappy photo of the weather head.
Attached Images