Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-18-2014, 6:36 AM Reply   
Hi, I'm in very early stages, just considering a vacation on Lake Powell. Problem is, I live too far to actually bring my own boat down, so.... Can you recommend a good place to rent a wakeboard boat in the area?

Thanks!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-18-2014, 6:54 AM Reply   
I think the popular marina's are bullfrog and whaweep (spelling?). I'm on board for this thread though, planning the dirty 30 birthday party there haha.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-18-2014, 8:38 AM Reply   
Here are a couple of sites I found. Not sure of the quality of the boats or service since I have not used them.

http://www.goplaylakepowell.com/wate...entalboats.php

http://www.invertsports.com/ski-boat-rentals

http://toyitup.com/lake-powell-boat-rentals
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-18-2014, 2:46 PM Reply   
Holy lots of money Batman!
I just checked on of those sights and you are looking average of $1,700 a DAY for a V drive watersports boat. Late model Mastercraft

So how many days will you be needing the boat sir? Yes, we accept American Express.

Quick basic arithmetic with interpolated data.
( I started this thinking I could justify bringing my own boat... wrong)

5 day Powel trip
I live 2,331 miles away
Figure 9mpg towing and I could drag my boat there and back for about 520 gallons of gas at averaging $3.50 a gallon is what, $1,850 in truck gas?
34 hours is three days each way not pushing it so figure $800 in room and board; Holliday inn express.

My family of five would cost probably $2500 in air fair to get there and take a day each way.
My daily rate is advertised at $700 a day so I would "lose" an added $2800 in possible income for the four extra travel days.
Everything else is a wash,

Total estimated cost to bring my own boat and have my truck there if I need it: $5,450
Estimated cost to rent a late model Mastercraft for 3 days: $5,100

For 3 hundred bucks I think I would rent one.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-19-2014, 12:31 AM Reply   
Man I thought 7 hours away was rough for every other weekend at Powell. It's worth the trip and hope you can find something worth the coin.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
It's definitely worth the trip no matter how far away you live. We make the 12 hour trip in one day but it's rough. pray for lots of snow this winter in Utah and Colorado so the snow melt helps bring up the water levels in the spring.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-22-2014, 11:07 AM Reply   
Yeah, that is lots of dough to rent a boat...

But from Montreal, that's a 4,000 KM, or a 38-hour drive.

Either way, this ain't gonna be cheap.

Maybe I could just buy a boat in AZ when I get ther and then just try to sell it when my vacation week is done.

Or better yet... is there anyone in the area looking for a few new friends?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-22-2014, 11:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
Yeah, that is lots of dough to rent a boat...

But from Montreal, that's a 4,000 KM, or a 38-hour drive.

Either way, this ain't gonna be cheap.

Maybe I could just buy a boat in AZ when I get ther and then just try to sell it when my vacation week is done.

Or better yet... is there anyone in the area looking for a few new friends?
Why are you driving all the way to page?

We do a trip there every sept.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-22-2014, 2:54 PM Reply   
"Maybe I could just buy a boat in AZ when I get there"
This reminds me of last summer I stopped in South Carolina to buy a waverunner on my way down to Florida and was able to wakeboard behind it all week while we stayed at a State park and a condo for the week, did not sell it, still works great. Would not have been the same without the water toy!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-22-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
Are there people renting their boat out on Craigslist for cheaper? Lake Powell is awesome but I don't think it's $1,700 per day to rent a wakeboard boat awesome!
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-23-2014, 10:04 AM Reply   
You can get in on a milehigh wakeboarding trip to Powell for $800-$1000 all inclusive (*well that's what their website says). Only way you are going to get cheaper than that is if someone else pays for it. Of course you will be on a trip with some strangers but it could be great in the right situation.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-01-2014, 1:03 PM Reply   
Two things come to mind. First, how much would it cost to ship your boat there and back? If you're there for a week, it could be cheaper than $1,700 a day. Second, (this might be a long shot) I would consider looking up boats for sale in that area and try to see if a seller would consider renting their boat. If I were selling my boat, I would consider renting it as long as I had a good contract as well as a (fat) refundable deposit in case something happens. Just a thought...
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-03-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
When do you plan on going?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-03-2014, 12:22 PM Reply   
Will Powell even have water this summer? I read with the Colorado River running dry & Mead being out of water they are going to let even more out
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       02-03-2014, 1:09 PM Reply   
Things are looking up for the Colorado River Basin Snow Pack. If we keep getting these great winter storms things should be fine.

http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/notice/snowpack.html
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-05-2014, 11:38 AM Reply   
Yeah I'm pretty sure lake powell will have some water… and lake Mead is out of water? News to me
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-29-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
Anyone have any updates on Powell's water level? We are planning a mid June trip to Bullfrog. Can anyone tell me how it is early season, average water temp?

Last edited by racer808; 04-29-2014 at 6:48 AM.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-29-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
I may also mid July, just want glass conditions.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-29-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
Will Powell even have water this summer? I read with the Colorado River running dry & Mead being out of water they are going to let even more out
Colorado river basin was at like 130% of snowpack this winter, powell is going to have tons of water. Last year was one of the lowest years I've seen and it still had plenty of water. It should have at least 30 more feet of water than last year