Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Callednsick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-17-2014, 10:29 PM Reply   
I'm about to install a ballast system on my 95 supra sunsport. I have looked at some discussions about the install and I've noticed that some cut out the storage in the rear and put their sac there. Is there a reason for this? I want to put my fat sac there but don't want to cut this section out, plus my fuel cell sits below it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-18-2014, 12:58 PM Reply   
I'm going to reply assuming that not a lot has changed between a 1992 Sunsport and a 1995 Sunsport.

How much weight are you looking to put in? As you mentioned you can cut out the dividers under the rear seat to fit a sack of about 350lbs or so in there.
If you're talking about the storage under the rear seat, the main reason is because those compartments are rather small and it's easier to just cut them out to put in a tube sack.
I suppose you could get a bunch of lead pop sacks and fill those compartments up if you don't want to cut it out. You could probably get more weight in there that way too.

If you are talking about the insert for the ski locker, it's probably just to accommodate a bigger sack, also because the locker insert isn't made to hold that much weight. I have seen some people put some reinforcement under the insert or even build a stronger insert there to take a bigger sack for more weight.

I also noticed the other day with the gas tank out of the 92 Sunsport, that if you take the locker insert out, there is about a 3-4" gap between the seat and the gunnels you could toss some lead in as well. If you wanted to pull the gas tank, there are two cavities towards the outside of the hull that are big enough for a bag of cement each, or you know, more lead.
Old     (Callednsick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-18-2014, 1:23 PM Reply   
Yeah, I have the answer I was looking for. The ski locker is what I was referring to. I bought it from a 70 yr old, one owner and he said that was where they had kept it. There are no stress cracks around it but I don't want to cause them either because we will be boarding a lot more than they did. I did throw in 2 80 lb bags of cement in those areas. I found them while I was replacing the vent tube. Thanks for the help.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-20-2014, 9:27 AM Reply   
I have a 91 Sunsport with a 370 lb fatsac sitting back there right on top of my fuel tank and I've never had any issues with it back there
Old     (Callednsick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-20-2014, 12:13 PM Reply   
Do you have a shot of your wake? I'm not sure of the weight of this bag but it fits perfectly in the ski locker, I also dropped an 80 lb bag of quickcrete on each side of the hidden pockets under the fuel cell.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-20-2014, 2:08 PM Reply   
92 Sunsport Direct drive. This is under rear seat ballast only. It's actually a 750 that's not completely filled. I've replaced that with a 370 now. But this was before adding the bag of concrete in each corner, so it's probably really comparable to your setup with the 370 and concrete only.

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-20-2014, 2:09 PM Reply   
Same setup, different day:

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-20-2014, 2:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callednsick View Post
Do you have a shot of your wake? I'm not sure of the weight of this bag but it fits perfectly in the ski locker, I also dropped an 80 lb bag of quickcrete on each side of the hidden pockets under the fuel cell.
I'd bet money it's this bag:

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tube-sac.html

370 Fly High tube sack:

Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-20-2014, 6:35 PM Reply   
Yup, that's the bag I have back there. I'll dig up some pics
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-20-2014, 8:58 PM Reply   
This thread has some pics of Sunsport wakes with ballast.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...21/560359.html
I haven't found any pics of my wake yet, but there are pics of my ballast setup in that thread.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-20-2014, 11:19 PM Reply   
That 370 lb bag Trayson shows fits perfectly in the plastic ski locker insert. You can get it almost full. The insert feels flimsy but the pressure is evenly distributed so its fine. Then get a rear seat sack to put under the rear seats. You can cut out the dividers with a box cutter. You could put that 370 under there but you'll have a lot of space not filled with water so a partially filled rear seat sac maximizes your weight. Some lead/cement/rocks/gold bars under the bow playpen. Something in the cooler up front (an old fat buddy works good). With that you've got about 1200 lbs hidden. Be sure your wake plate is all the way up. That's a solid setup snd you can add more on the floor as needed.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-21-2014, 7:08 AM Reply   
You can cut out the divider under the playpen as well and shove one in there. I have this one under mine

Last edited by lovin_the_wake; 06-21-2014 at 7:10 AM. Reason: sp
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-21-2014, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin_the_wake View Post
You can cut out the divider under the playpen as well and shove one in there. I have this one under mine
No reason to cut out divider. I take mine in an out every time out on my 87 it can fill to about 750 under the seat - all hidden.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-21-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
I can't remember what mine looked like before I cut it out. I was thinking the divider completely separated the two sides
Old     (Callednsick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-21-2014, 12:32 PM Reply   
That's a nice wake man, I think one if your old posts about finding the hidden spot for the cement bags is where I got it from. I will post pics as I go and get the final wake pics as well.
Old     (Callednsick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-21-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
I appreciate all of the input on a good wake setup from you guys.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-21-2014, 10:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callednsick View Post
That's a nice wake man, I think one if your old posts about finding the hidden spot for the cement bags is where I got it from. I will post pics as I go and get the final wake pics as well.
Cement bags? Like this...

And if anyone is local to the Portland/Vancouver area, I could always hook you up. I have some extras that I'm not using... I've got 4 left from this stack...

Old     (Callednsick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-22-2014, 10:46 AM Reply   
That's it
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2014, 1:40 PM Reply   
You'll never make it through customs with those!