Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2016, 8:02 PM Reply   
I finally got my dream boat, 2016 Supra SG450, and ordered it without tower speakers. I got a couple Sinister amps from Earmark to run 4- Icon 8's (I surf). I'm having trouble keeping the Amps on when I cut the engine off. They are wired exactly as the factory JL amp that I replaced. I'm thinking of wiring in a relay for the turn-on lead. Anyone have a similar issue?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-06-2016, 8:31 PM Reply   
So sometimes the amps stay on when you turn the key off and sometimes that shut off? Is the head unit also shutting off along with the amps? Trying to understand if this is a random issue or you just dont like the wire th system is wired. Id say most boat builders tie the head unit turn-on tripper to the ACC terminal of the key switch.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-07-2016, 6:37 AM Reply   
HOLD ON!!! You replaced JL with wet sounds!!! WTF you my sir are ass backwards! Lol jk but seriously.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-07-2016, 6:38 AM Reply   
I always run my stereo direct to the battery so my engine hours don't run while parked listening to music.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-07-2016, 8:25 AM Reply   
In most any modern boat (last 10 years), the hour meter is looking for engine ignition/RPM, rather then the key in the RUN position. Also, most boats have a key switch with an ACC position, so the stereo can be run with out the key in RUN. Regardless, I hate the stereo being on the ACC terminal. Rather have the turn-on trigger wired to a helm rocker. But i dont suggest battery direct.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-07-2016, 9:32 AM Reply   
There is only a "run" position on the key with a spring loaded "start." When you turn the key off, the touch screen asks if you want to shut-down (yes/no) OR "proceed with audio" which shuts down the boat but leaves audio controls. When I go to restart after shutting down, sometimes one amp turns on, sometimes the other, and sometimes neither turn on. If I turn off/on the battery switch, the head unit seems to sink up with the amps and they work...until I turn off/on the boat at the key again. It has to be something with the remote signal and the wetsounds amps. I'll wire the head unit remote lead directly to a relay, then to the amps and see if that works. Maybe Earmark David knows something???
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-07-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
Well, before trying to fix what you dont know yet is wrong, take some time with a volt meter and monitor the turn-on from the head-unit to the amps as well as the battery voltage at the amps' main terminals. . Are the Wet Sounds amps the only ones? Thats what i am reading but want to confirm.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-07-2016, 10:05 AM Reply   
Thanks TigeMike. I have 2 Wet Sounds Amps, SD6 and SD4. I pulled out the JL 6 channel the boat came with and reused the remote turn on lead. I'm by no means a professional stereo installer, but I have more than a few under my belt and have a solid knowledge base of electrical systems and wiring.

Last edited by dDubya; 06-07-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: sp
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-07-2016, 10:38 AM Reply   
Like Mike, I'm a little hesitant to suggest a fix without a firm understanding of exactly how things are presently wired. And I'm not surprised that there is a minor difference (voltage threshold difference, or pause duration, etc.) in the way the two turn-on circuits function from brand to brand. But here is one possibility. Use a bypass rocker switch that keeps the amplifier turn-on lead constant allowing you to toggle between the factory method and a voltage that stays uninterrupted. But it will be up to you to make sure that the switch gets back to the default position or that the batteries are off-line while stored. That could also be problematic because the amplifier 'mute' is never engaged so the amplifier reproduces turn-on/off events. Or, an alternative might be to influence the amplifier cycle with a relay, diode and capacitor. Just scatter-shooting at this point without a known schematic.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-07-2016, 11:04 AM Reply   
Dan,

Not questioning your knowledge, just offering suggestions for your posted request for assistance. You may have a faulty head unit. May be that the helm control system is dropping out the head unit trigger when you shut down but want to retain audio. Could be an amp issue thats pulling down the voltage, effecting both amps.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-07-2016, 12:05 PM Reply   
Maybe it could be something as simple as adding a relay so the functionality remains the same but the alternative voltage supply location is more stable.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-07-2016, 11:06 PM Reply   
Yep, relay worked!
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-08-2016, 6:37 AM Reply   
Yeah, sorry for the late reply but a relay is needed on the Supra's with touch screen when going WetSounds or multiple amplifiers I have found out. Sometimes it is as easy as you think
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-09-2016, 8:35 AM Reply   
The new system needs an adapter to ground them properly. FYI - Exile makes those if you want to try and see if that is your problem.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-09-2016, 5:55 PM Reply   
You may check with SC. There was a problem with some different amps communicating correctly with the Murphey system. JL was the only one I could get to work consistently.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-09-2016, 6:13 PM Reply   
Wouldnt the Murphy be turning on/off the Fusion head unit, which in tern turns the amps on/off?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-10-2016, 4:24 AM Reply   
A adapter for the ground is needed and Exile makes it? Huh, Popcorn ready for that one...

mike, yeah that's how they are wired in the ones I have done. Murphy to Fusion, Fusion to amps...
Although for the mounted hour meter, it does not detect RPM, only ignition in most boats to be honest.

Last edited by Truekaotik; 06-10-2016 at 4:32 AM.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-10-2016, 7:55 AM Reply   
The new supra that have the Murphy system with the Murphy black box radio's have one main issue. The radio has a differential balanced output. And it does not work with Amps that do not have balanced differential inputs.

The Wet Sounds HTX, SYN-DX and SD amps ALL have balanced differential inputs and all work fine with the Murphy system and supra's.

The JL's also have balanced differential inputs as well. Not many other amps on the market have differential inputs so will not work.

The OP issue was the unit does not have enough turn on voltage output for multiple large amplifiers. So adding a relay. Problem solved.

Tim
Wet Sounds

Oh and redheadd, take a look at the specs on our SD amps and you will have your answer. POWER and lots of it!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-10-2016, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
A adapter for the ground is needed and Exile makes it? Huh, Popcorn ready for that one...

mike, yeah that's how they are wired in the ones I have done. Murphy to Fusion, Fusion to amps...
Although for the mounted hour meter, it does not detect RPM, only ignition in most boats to be honest.

Was not trying to stir the pot at all. Was on my phone and tried to add to the conversation to help the OP, but did not explain myself. Was not stating you have to use an Exile adapter or that they are the only ones that can do it, was saying that they make an adapter. As Wetsounds and others have stated with the new murphy system and integration you have to use the stock JL amps or Wetsounds also makes a few of their series amps compatible. If you don't choose to use those amps or you already purchased other amps, the Exile adapter will solve the integration and you can use any amps. We found this out the hard way and found that Exile had trouble shot it (even before Supra knew about it). We used the Exile adapters and it was simple and everything is back in business and we can use aftermarket equipment.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-10-2016, 5:43 PM Reply   
True-K,

Check your PM box over on TO.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-11-2016, 5:14 AM Reply   
Ok I will check it!