Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jn94defender)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-10-2017, 4:29 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any experience buying a boat from Canada and bringing it across the border for use in the US? Looking at a nautique g23 from up there and brining back to minnesota.

Thanks!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-10-2017, 9:38 AM Reply   
Your best bet is to go to the US customs site. It's farely easy. The trailer is considered the car and needs to be inspected and such. Given your dollar over our it should be well worth it.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2017, 12:21 PM Reply   
I am surprise that you US folks are not taking more advantage of our weak dollar. When it was the other way around we were all going to the US to buy. I know our used truck market is insane, all the diesels are going south.

I have a 2012 SV230... selling it here for 68K.. works out to about $48K USD... even would deliver it to the Montana or Idaho boarder
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2017, 2:56 PM Reply   
Ehhhh I've looked into it. There are some deals to be had but by the time you ship it and go through the border mess it's not really worth it imo. Also, unless you want to spend money on round trip flight to Canada to look over the boat you pretty much have to buy the boat sight unseen. That's a huge risk considering some of the stuff I've seen come from there. When you are spending that much money, buying closer is worth a bit more coin.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2017, 3:01 PM Reply   
I guess if you are in Minnesota and it's not too far then it may be worth the trip...
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2017, 3:39 PM Reply   
Yeah you can do it and it is not that hard, but I would call the border and make sure you cross all your T's and dot all your I's and don't take any risks or it could sit at the border. I know the US has been seeing all the Canadian trucks for some time now and most are pretty tatered and the market is slowing down for them here.... As far as boats, I don't think you see a huge market down here for them cause there is less selection up there and all the Canadians that are near the border are pricing them to sell to US buyers instead of Canadians, so they are not a huge rip. On occasion though.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       04-09-2017, 6:07 AM Reply   
Here we see LOTS of Michigan, Ohio and Massachusetts buyer. They are completely taking all the good deals on leftovers boat. They doing it for cars so why not for boats haha..
And it's just normal, its not that complicated to pass the border when you are well prepared. Most of what we see is Moomba's.
Young American who don't want to spend too much on their first boat and leave near always come here and can really save.
Saving 5-7k just to take a couple hours to cross the border and sign couple of papers is worth the trip! I've done it myself couple times with American truck like ram's or escalade when our money was little higher.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-13-2017, 2:26 PM Reply   
is it the blue 2013 g23? my buddy was getting pretty serious about buying that one, but he found out that the warranty didn't carry over to the USA (even though the boat was made here) and he wouldn't be able to add an extended warranty. it was kind of a deal breaker. he ended up finding a better one in the states and we abandoned the Canada idea.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       04-13-2017, 7:09 PM Reply   
Yeah that's the main issue. I've seen couple dealers that refused to extend the warranty to US. That's why it's important to be well prepared and really read every little lines of a contract haha
Old     (nohlan_4)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-28-2017, 1:06 PM Reply   
Super easy to do I bought my G23 from the states and brought it up to Canada. If your going the other way you would be saving ton of money!
Old     (ChrisW)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-01-2017, 6:51 PM Reply   
I Bought my '15 sanger last year in BC from a dealer. There was definitely some more leg work, but all in all they made it pretty simple. They used a customs broker and they maintained possession across the border as a commercial delivery. I met them at the crossing and drove away.

The only thing that was a bit of a challenge was that some banks were leary of wiring the money internationally with essentially no collateral. It took a lot of pictures and a lot of calls back and forth but we got it done and saved a ton of money.

Good luck,

Chris
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       05-02-2017, 6:13 AM Reply   
Bought an MB in Canada last year, saved at least 15k. It was a process but definitely doable.
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       10-03-2022, 11:53 AM Reply   
The process can be greatly simplified if working with a customs broker. Personally, I recommend W2C for all automotive purchases.