Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
I figured I would start a new thread from the what do you tow with thread. Now I know this will agian get turned in to a gasser vs diesel thread but I am more looking for information regarding the differences between any year Ford, Chev, and Dodge diesel up to $ 30k. I have read many threads on here about the new F150 Eco boost so that would be something to test drive as well with the boat in tow to see if it would be good enough.

I have a 05 F150 SCrew with the 5.4L. Towing to my local lake the truck is more then enough because it's pretty much flat road with minor hills. Going to our summer house I am towing over the Coquihalla here in BC. There are 3 major hills. The one know as the Snowshed is a very long hill that has people stranded on the side of roads constantly from overheating or transmissions giving up. You can see the gradient may attached here. http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topi...de-profile.pdf . Semi's are going up this hill slow enough you can easily see their individual lugs turning. I'm usually doing about 100km/phr at the bottom and struggle to do 45 km/phr by the top with my RPM's in the 4500 range. My brothers 07 250 with 22's and 37's still had me at 85km.phr on the same hill. I have already swapped out my transmission to a better aftermarket one but I know this hill will get me one day. Just this last weekend my truck was very hot by the time I got to the top. This all really makes me want a diesel especially considering my next boat will be heavier than what I have today plus with kids and the related gear that then comes with it/them. What I would really like would be a diesel suburban so I had the extra seating.

So I'm starting my research to see if it will be a right move for ME. That being said with an approximate budget of $ 30k or less what would be the best truck to get. I know quite a few of the mid 2000 Fords had quite a few issues with them but don't have much experience with the Chevy's or Dodge's. Whenever I look on a site like Craigslist it alwasy seems you get the most bang for your buck with a Ford....may be givin some of the issues. I'm also (if it makes sense) to buy an older diesel that only gets used for towing and have another small car for work. Right now my wife drives my truck as she is on mat leave and once she goes back to work she will continue to drive it as she will be to the local hospital and back. My wife also has no issues driving the current F150 or even a larger vehicle(bless her heart). I'm in sales so I'm driving around a bit more but I still don't even come close to putting 20 km's per year on the truck even when I was driving it daily. My current run around car otherwise is a 02 Protege 5 which is on it's way out as well as it's at 268k km and starting to die.
Attached Images

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-16-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
About diesels...

best engine= dodge 5.9L cummins specifically 03 to 04 will get the best fuel mileage due to least amount of emissions crap

best tranny= allison found on GM duramax's...... any brand if you go much over stock HP will need tranny upgrade..... but the allison has provided the least amount of negative feedback

best ride is dependant on preference but I love the ride of the duramax

both the duramax and cummins are solid trucks... I would own either

Now on to ford...... the 7.3L is about as bullet proof as the duramax and cummins BUT they get significantly less fuel mileage...... the Ford 6.0L can be MADE reliable and a good truck BUT you are going to put 2k to 3k into it to get it up to par with the duramax and cummins. 6.4L is a little better than the 6.0L but there are still quite a few negatives out there on it. Most Fords are priced with these FIXES in mind.... the deal is usually not as good when you factor in the costs. But its your risk and your decision

Me? I am looking for the best deal I can find on either a duramax or cummins.... i feel comfortable with either... dodge won't have the comfort the duramax has but usually the cummins can squeeze out a little better fuel mileage. The duramax is still quite efficient for being a V8 instead of a I6

Now if you want the most interior room then BY FAR the Dodge Megacab is the way to go but remember you gotta fit that big boy into your garage or wherever and the Mega cab is the same length as the quad cab long bed, i can't fit a long bed in my garage.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2012, 12:41 PM Reply   
I don't have a garage at all right now and may never get the chance anyway. Boat and my old Pacer get the car port spots. Ultimately I want a SCrew type truck as I want to have 4 doors with room in the back seats. The mid 2000 dodges don't have much room in the back seats without it being a mega cab.
Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-16-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
+1 on everything petrey said.

I have very little experience with Diesels. I did own a 2007 F250 very briefly and was not very happy with it. Nothing but problems with the 6.0L Powerstroke. Aside from these issues, the amount of power I got out of it vs the amount of fuel I put in it did not seem worth it. I believe 2007 is when all the DPF stuff started which hurt power and fuel mileage (I could be wrong on this).

My vote would go with the Cummins pre-DPF crap.

I recently switched to the F150 ecoboost and love it. Not to get off topic, but it is worth a good look.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-16-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
What petrey said!
I'll add, I have an 07 Dodge 5.9 Mega 6speed. Previous truck, 02 Dmax crew cab.
For under $30k, I would look for an 06-07 Dodge Mega or an 05-06 Dmax crew.
Both trucks have their plusses and minuses but nowhere near the "issues" of most other models in your price range.
One plus of the Mega cab as a family hauler is obviously the back seat. It can either be reclined, or there's enough room to pack a family of 4's luggage behind the seat, in the upright position. Provides alot of storage space if the bed is open, uncovered or used for other purposes.

DOdge, I'd be less pleased with the pre 07.5 auto trans and look harder for a manual transdue to gear splits on the 4sp auto, not reliability. CHevy I'd try for an 06 with the 6speed Alli, but the 5speed is pretty flawless and the last gear is not needed for towing really anyway.

That's the short version. Read up on dieseltruckresource.com for the Cummins and dieselplace.com for the dmax. Pretty easy to get a feel for the positives and weak spots just by going through the mechanical sections of the forums.

Either one will pull any wakeboat you can hook up over that 8.5% grade with relative ease and over the posted limit with a mild tune.

Last edited by Thrall; 07-16-2012 at 1:35 PM.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2012, 3:08 PM Reply   
Maybe this article will help...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...s/viewall.html
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-16-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
its hard to beat the reliability and resale of a duramax. those are the two main factors of buying any truck in my book
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-16-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
I've got a pre-emissions 2006 LBZ Duramax with the Allison 6-spd auto. I'll NEVER sell it. I've had more than 15 trucks over the years, and this is by far the best for anything it's used for.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-17-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
I just picked up an 08 F250 6.4 for 32k and so far its an amazing truck. I had all the records pulled before I purchased it to make sure it wasn't in the shop every other week. It currently has 55k miles on it and the only thing that has required it go into a shop was a cracked thermostat housing.

I took it to the lake this weekend which is a trip much like yours with hills and sharp turns. I had a hard time not passing everyone on the road going up. The power that you have on tap is unreal! I've got a simple tuner on it and i'm over 400HP and 750ft pounds of torque.

You can pick up a well kept 6.0 in the low 20's high teens. But if you want it bullet proof expect to drop a couple thousand immediately on head studs, egr delete. Once those are done nothing else really breaks. The 6.4 doesn't have the head stud problem like the 6.0 and they say the EGR system is more robust however must guys get still delete the egr just to be safe.

The nice thing about the 6.0 and 6.4 are the comforts that you dont get in a older truck. Mine has power everything, Nav, power slide out mirrors, big captians chairs etc.

But if you're looking for a simple truck to pull you the lake and back its hard to pass up a 7.3 in terms of cost and reliability. Also with a simple front end makeover it can look the same as an 05 or newer.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-17-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
08 6.4, spartan tune dpf del, 550 wheel hp, nuff said
Old     (mechmaster)      Join Date: May 2006       07-17-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
I tow that route at least once per summer with my '98 VLX. We generally are heading either to Kamloops or Kelowna. I got tired to flogging my 1500 Yukon over those hills; the transmission was always hunting and the engine was really working hard.

I can't speak for the Ford or Dodge, by the Duramax\Allison combo works well for me (I have a 05 Silverado CC short box). The Allison transmission is nice, especially down hills.

For $30K, you should be able to get a great truck. I would consider importing from the US, as there can be quite a savings there (it saved me over $6K when I purchased my truck).

If you want a diesel SUV, your only options are the Excursion or some kind of custom swap.

Last edited by mechmaster; 07-17-2012 at 8:30 AM. Reason: Added content
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-17-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
I've got a pre-emissions 2006 LBZ Duramax with the Allison 6-spd auto. I'll NEVER sell it. I've had more than 15 trucks over the years, and this is by far the best for anything it's used for.
Never?
Old     (SydneyACE)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-17-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
My .02.

You're not going to save yourself any $ in the long-run. You said you already upgraded the trannie in yours? Not sure what else you should have to worry about...
Get AAA RV insurance. It's like $150 a YEAR. In the off-chance you did break-down, they will come tow your boat for you. Not saying that's the "best" option, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new(er) truck.

I won't sit here and explain all the reasons why this will end-up costing you tons in the long-run... go to the latest "what do you tow with" thread for all that...
If you're hell-bent on getting a new(er) diesel, I'll give you my pick based on a mechanic's standpoint.

Get a Duramax. Engine is super-smooth. Allision trans is awesome. They are quieter than most other diesels. They ride smoother.
When I worked at the dealership, we didn't see the Duramaxes as often, and when we did, the repair bill was usually the cheapest.

If you can't find a good D-max, or just don't like them, the Dodge would be my next choice.
The 6-cyl engine is basically bullet-proof. Although when they do break (saw a few with bad fuel-pumps) the parts can be VERY spendy.
They will usually get the best mileage out of the bunch by a small margin (as long as you don't get a 3500).
We did do a lot of front-end work on them for some reason though. The ball-joints seem to go-out frequently (even though they're huge). Saw quite a few allignment issues that caused bad tire-wear.

Stay away from the Fords. We saw as many Powerstrokes in the shop as the Chevys and Dodges combined. The 7.3 isn't bad, but they use lots of gas and don't seem to have any more power to show for-it. We had to completely replace two engines because the turbos went-out on them and sent shrapnel into the engine. Open the hood of one sometime, half the engine is underneath the windshield/dash. Guess how long it takes to change that engine. The easiest (fastest) way is actually by removing the cab. Otherwise you basically have to dissasemble the engine inside the truck and take it out piece by piece. For some reason, they like to fry turbos. I don't think it's the turbo itself, I think its the location/oiling of the turbo. Regardless, aside from the 2 we did with bad engines, we did 2 more where just the turbo went-out (bearings). The turbo is in the back... on-top... under the cab... What a pain in the ass to work-on!
I know you probably won't be working on it yourself, but remember, the guy you have to pay to fix-it...

Anyway, that's my .02.
I will proabably get crap from guys... again... but I still think you should just keep your old truck. I guarantee you will save $ in the long-run.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-17-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Well if I could retro fit a eco-boost in to my 05 I would highly consider it. I still like my truck and don't really care about all the bells and whistles. What I want is a truck that can pull my boat well and not be afraid that I may end up blowing it up. I know a diesel doesn't make sense for me on a daily use basis but when I tow up that road I sure wish I had one.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-17-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
I've seen few Eco-boosts come up in the upper $20's for sale. Might want to take a peak and see if any are in your area for that price.

I currently have a 7.3 powertroke, that Eco-boost has me intrigued. Boosted engine for high elevations, and a very strong power band for towing.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-17-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
once again travis comes in bashing... seriously dude you are way off base....

a 30k gasser vs a 30k diesel.... the diesel will be cheaper EVERY TIME......Cummins highway mileage= 19 or 20mpg (3/4 ton 4x4)of DIESEL not "gas" as stated by travis.... the gasser will have a hard time getting 17mpg unless its an ecoboost or hybrid GM..... maintenance is a wash IMO bc they lubricants get changed less and moving parts usually last longer or the same as the gasser.

diesel is safer, has more power, handles better, get better FUEL mileage, and costs the same to insure (you can insure it however you want)....

now if you want to compare a 5k gasser to a 35k diesel then ya you are right you aren't saving any money....

and I don't know much about the ecoboosts but I would bet they could give diesels a run for the money if the mileage is there and if they last but you still aren't going to get 300k in a ecoboost like you would get 300k in a Cummins or Duramax
Old    sperbet            07-17-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
^^^Not to mention, the OP specifically has stated his gasser isn't doing the job and he's worried about breaking down. A diesel is the better tow option in these types of situations IMO. I tow at high altitude up large grades as well. Just got a duramax about a month ago. I'll never switch back.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-17-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
exactly.. you want something that does the job better? Diesel plain and simple.....
Old     (SydneyACE)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-17-2012, 3:01 PM Reply   
Seriously, I'm not here to make enemies. Not sure what I did to you to make you so upset about my opinion.

BTW I meant "gas" as-in, slang for fuel in-general. Obviously diesels run diesel-fuel. We were discussing the subject of GAS-mileage. I guess you run-around saying "diesel-mileage"? Pretty-sure most people understand when you say "gas" in refrence to fuel-mileage you're not intentionally specifying gasoline only. When I said my Duramax used more "gas" than my 1500 does, I was simply refering to my fuel-economy. Not sure why you keep bringing that-up. Maybe you're just trolling at this point?

I've had more than a few guys "upgrade" thier truck then come back in the shop with buyer's remorse. (Although due to the pride and reluctancy to admit mistake in that type of situation, you're pretty hard-pressed to get them to outright admit it.) Not because the diesel didn't tow better. Not because their gas mileage wasn't good (although sometimes they forgot that the 35" tires under there would actually make things worse). But because they were dishing-out more $ in payments and insurance than they could ever hope to save in gas. Or because their injector-pump went-out and they didn't realize it was gonna cost them $1500 for the pump and another few-hundred to have it installed. OBVIOUSLY as I have said before, and I will say AGAIN. If you have to buy a truck because you don't have one that will tow a boat, and your weighing your options on which to get, I have no-problem recommending the diesel. As for the OP's situation, I don't think that it's the best option for him. He could probably get $15k for his F-150 if he sold it outright. If he trades it in at the dealership, they might give him $12.5k for it. His budget is $30. Not sure if that means he's planning-on keeping the F-150 and spending $30k outright or trading/selling the F-150 (leaving $15k outright). Either way, he's going to be spending a sizable amount of $. For what? So he can tow his boat over a pass a few times a year without feeling like he MIGHT have a break-down? I don't know. That just doesn't seem like it's worth $15k, yet-alone $30k to me.

Again, not trying to make enemies here, but you seem to be attacking my opinions a lot. I'm not the smartest guy alive, maybe I'm missing something here. Why do you think his casual towing-use requires a $15k or $30k expendature? You keep saying the term "no-brainer". Obviously, I'm missing something BIG here because even with a brain (however underpowered it may be), I don't understand the justification. If he's really that un-easy about towing this particular pass a couple times a year, there are a few things he can do to ensure his truck will be solid without spending that kind of $. (Install a suplimental trans-cooler. Change the gearing, etc.)
Yes, a diesel will do the job better. Never ONCE argued that point. But at what cost? How-much is that worth? If the cost of aquisition were the same then it would be a "no-brainer", but in both the cases where I have commented, the OP was considering spending a decent sum of $ on a diesel.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-17-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
Travis should be banned from diesel threads.
Old     (vkkovach)      Join Date: May 2012       07-17-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
Here we go again! My previous truck was a 2007 Chevy silverado 1500 vortec max (6.0 engine with 3/4 ton drive train) It did very well towing my boat around to the local lakes. I usually got around 13mpg mixed unloaded driving and about 9-10mpg when towing long distance. When we take the boat out of town it's usually lake havasu or lake mojave that are both 300+ miles from my house through the middle of the desert usually 100+ degrees, there are a few grades that are pretty long and to maintain 55mph I would have to down shift the truck and run at about 3800-4k rpm for a sustained period of time. I have small children and didn't like the thought of working the truck that hard(I have AAA with RV) and taking a chance of having my family stuck in the middle of nowhere. I bought a 2008 ram 2500 with a diesel for this reason I can cruise at 55 up the same passes without ever shifting out of overdrive! I feel that while a diesel isn't needed to tow 4k lbs why not make your life easier? Who cares "IF" it costs an extra $1000 a year in repairs peace of mind is a great thing! Anyways I will say that with the 2007 and after cummins engines that have a particulate filter the mileage does suffer, I was getting about 15mpg mixed driving unloaded and the kicker 13-13.5 towing stock. I also performed some modifications about $1200 worth that increased my milage to 17-18 mixed unloaded 19-20 highway unloaded and around 15 towing. Because I like having nice things and can afford to reward myself for working hard I traded the 2008 in for the 2011 ram 2500(new body style!) and wouldn't think of going back to a gasser for towing! FYI the mileage between the 2500 and 3500 is identical as long as it has the same rear axle ratio the only difference is the rear leaf spring setup and GVW.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-18-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf1985 View Post
Travis should be banned from diesel threads.
Haha that's what i was thinking,
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
travis you keep going back to keeping the current truck vs spending MORE on a diesel....... thats not the debate here bud....... the debate is he has 30k to spend would it be better to upgrade his gasser or get a diesel AT THE SAME COST.......... 30k for a gasser or 30k for a diesel............ purchase price has nothing to do with it

try to keep up bud...

and me trolling? I have been here since 2010 ..... you just signed up last month.... now who is the troll?
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-18-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
If the diesel costs the same as the gasser now, it will hold its value a lot better in 5 years when you go to upgrade or trade it in.
Old     (vkkovach)      Join Date: May 2012       07-18-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
I have heard the issues regarding the 6.0 ford and had 2 friends who couldn't get out of their trucks fast enough! I love Chevy and from what I understand the duramax is solid, the problem I had with my Chevy was that the steering box and related components wore out very fast. I feel they were under sized for the weight of the truck. That left me with the dodge and I couldn't be happier! I haven't had a single let down or component failure in either of my dodges. The cummins engine in the straight 6 configuration should last longer in theory based on the main bearings relation to the cylinders. There may be a reason semis haven't switched to a V8 diesel you could get a quad cab 4x4 cummins with less than 100k for your price and maybe have some money left over for some wheels or something else you don't need!
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-20-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
What ever you do stay away from the tuners that ramp rail pressure. It kills injectors. Stay away from the LB7 Duramax. Injectors are horrible and there is no permanent fix unless you spend big money on aftermarket injectors.

Chevy's front end sucks balls but the brakes kick ass.

I had a '01 Duramax. Stock. I went through 3 sets of injectors in 230,000 miles. Good truck other than that.

Now I have a '06 Megacab with the 5.9 Cummins. Added a CIA, exhaust, Smarty tuner and a little trans work. With 35" tall tires (no lift required) the truck gets 23mpg (calculated by hand by filling the truck to the top and using a Garmin GPS for Trip distance). This is at 65mph.

With my Malibu in tow... 12.5mpg going to Powell and 17.5mpg coming home. That's 15mpg average at 65mpg.

And when I turn the box up this truck will accelerate like a damn sports car. It's awesome to light the tires up from a 5-10mph roll!
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-21-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Nobody has mentioned the biggest advantage of a diesel, BIO-DIESEL!!!!! $.95 a gallon for me right now. Just got about 16.5 mpg, about half of that unloaded on the highway and the rest mixed between towing a car on a flatbed, towing the boat, and intown driving. Here is my trip meter after using 29 gallons of gas. Plus my truck smells like a fish fry going down the road
Attached Images

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-22-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
I went from an f150 to an 09 dodge 6.7 mega. Couldnt be happier. I was looking for a used 06-07 back when i bought mine and they were low 30s , just not alot of megacab 4x diesels with an auto. If u are goimg used get the 5.9 as stated above. Too much emissions, although if u spend 2k on the egr/dpf delete and dont live in cali u will prob see as good of results as 5.9 and get a 6 speed auto by going newer than 07. Good luck, any diesel will be better for towing and i love.mine for day to day driving too, dont overdo the mods and theyll be low maintenance and last a long time.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-22-2012, 8:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyACE View Post

Stay away from the Fords. We saw as many Powerstrokes in the shop as the Chevys and Dodges combined.
could this have anything to do with the fact that there are about twice as many fords on the road as dodges or Chevys?

Not defending the 6.0 but just another factor to the equation

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-23-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
could this have anything to do with the fact that there are about twice as many fords on the road as dodges or Chevys?

Not defending the 6.0 but just another factor to the equation

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
Uhh, you watch too many of those "best selling truck for 10 years running" commercials.
Yes, Ferds outsell Chevies by a slight margin...........unless you add GMC to the Chevy totals.
Do you think if GMC quit making trucks, a GM guy would go buy a Ford? No, he'd get a Chevy.
So GM actually outsells Ford for trucks and Dodge sells a bunch too, I forget how far behind the other 2 they are.
I know you're not defending the 6.0's, who in their right mind would? They're not even in the same league as an old P pump 12 valve Cummins engine wise, although a much nicer truck hahaha.
Bottom line, until the new 6.7 Fords have proven themselves, Dmax or Cummins, any year model, are the safer bets than any Pstroke after the 7.3's. There's a reason that FOrd is on their 3rd completely new diesel engine SINCE the 7.3's......They haven't been able to get it right. Nothing against the rest of the truck though.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-23-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
It's close, but i think ford outsells GM, at least in MY 11
Attached Images

Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-23-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
Wow that's a significant difference. I always thought chevy would be number one.
Old     (SydneyACE)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-24-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
travis you keep going back to keeping the current truck vs spending MORE on a diesel....... thats not the debate here bud....... the debate is he has 30k to spend would it be better to upgrade his gasser or get a diesel AT THE SAME COST.......... 30k for a gasser or 30k for a diesel............ purchase price has nothing to do with it

try to keep up bud...

and me trolling? I have been here since 2010 ..... you just signed up last month.... now who is the troll?
I have actually weighed-in on both situations ("keeping current vs uprgading" and "new gasser vs new diesel"). LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD!
How can you sit there and say that the debate isn't about keeping the old vs buying a more expensive diesel??

"try to keep up bud..." is right!

You either have very poor reading-comprehension or a VERY strong bias towards diesels that prevents you from carefully reading what I have said.

I have said SEVERAL times that if someone is buying a truck specifically for towing (because they don't already have something to tow with now), the diesel is the smartest choice. I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST DIESELS AS TOW-RIGS! (With the exception of their high maintenance costs.)

BOTH the threads that I have weighed-in on were threads where someone was wondering if they should spend MORE money to buy a diesel in the attempt to save money or gain reliability. As soon as I come-across a thread where someone is debating whether to buy a new 2500 w/a 6.0L gas-engine or to get a Duramax, I will gladly recomend the diesel to them.

Oh and BTW, being a troll has very little to do with how long you have been a member of a particular forum. (Unless you signed-up to a forum specifically to be a troll.) A troll is someone who posts a deliberately provocative message in an attempt to cause an argument. Your comment about me not knowing that diesels use diesel fuel was a troll comment.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-24-2012, 7:08 AM Reply   
Having had the infamous 5.4 in 2 versions of the F-250 I can appreciate what Dave is asking. I live in the flat lands, but a big wind on a large camper or horse trailer changes your perspective once in a while. Not to mention the fuel milage even pulling the Epic sucks at the best of times. When I bought my previous trucks I knew the diesel was a nice to have, but not cost effective to purchase new. Over the past few years I was contemplating purchasing a new truck, maybe with a diesel. Again, cost vs performance vs requirement came into play. Yesterday, I bought a 2007 diesel F-250 Lariat for just under 17k. I know the potential pitfalls of the 6.0l, but I have also seen the problems with both the Dodge and the GM that my friends have experienced. I can also say that of the 10 people I know with the Ford 6.0l, none have experienced EGR or head gasket issues. Maybe they were lucky, or maybe the didn't chip it into the danger zone. In any case, I have a nearly new spare engine in storage should I need one (EGR removed and head-studs replaced).

Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-24-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
It's close, but i think ford outsells GM, at least in MY 11
I stand corrected. Shoulda checked my facts!
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-25-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
whatever man Im not going to argue with you. The title reads "Replacing 05 F150 with a Diesel".... it doesn't say contemplating.... it says replacing and then he says he has 30k to spend .... never does he ask should I keep my 05 f150...... hes replacing and is wanting to know which diesel to pick...... shut your mouth and leave ur 92 chevy gasser out of this cause no one cares
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-25-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
'88-'97 F-350 with 7.3. Simple, powerful, reliable. If you want newer I believe you could still get the 7.3 up to about 2002-2003 but the trucks are ugly and a lot more break on the truck itself compared to the earlier models.'80-'97 is the same truck, it was a great design so they just kept using it.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
Pete/Travis: At this stage I am purely checking my options to see IF a diesel is the right choice for me. One of my two vehicles will need to be replaced in the next year or so. Part of my decision is if I replace the truck first and get a newer half ton or diesel and/or get another car. The car is what is really dieing at this point. All of this takes funds away from my goal or replacing the boat in the next couple or years as well. I know I would love a diesel for towing it just may not make sense the other 6 months of the year when I'm not....and for a handful of trips to our summer house every year where I really would like to have one. I'm not concerned about the maintenance difference between them either. My gasser has given me just as many if not more headaches as is. If doing things like changing out my 3.73 gears would benefit me I would look at doing it. Heck, I'm even considering going back to a stock 31" tire from my current 33's" to give me some torque back. I know I could probably supercharge the thing as well if I really wanted too and it would pull like a hot damn. At this point I run a Gryphon Tuner( edge) with only a transmission tune and have a beefier after market transmission because my old one pooped the bed. I just don't like topping out on this hill at 45km/phr and my engine screaming at 42-4500 rpm like it's going to blow up. I may wait and look for a used Ecoboost once they are more readily available or I may just have to borrow my brothers F250 when I tow to our summer house.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-25-2012, 4:49 PM Reply   
Other bonus with a diesel is stronger drivetrain from the tranny downstream to the lugnuts, all beefier to work harder, plus higher spring rates, bigger bearings up front, stronger knuckles and rod ends .
Larger tranny and oil coolers from the factory, beefier everything because they are either a 3/4 or 1 ton package to begin with. I sold my f150 for the same reason as you, i thought the longer i towed my boat with it the sooner i would blow my tranny, then having a 3k fix to do on a 4 k truck. Plus newer gets you more overall longevity.
Old     (SydneyACE)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-27-2012, 3:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
whatever man Im not going to argue with you. The title reads "Replacing 05 F150 with a Diesel".... it doesn't say contemplating.... it says replacing and then he says he has 30k to spend .... never does he ask should I keep my 05 f150...... hes replacing and is wanting to know which diesel to pick...... shut your mouth and leave ur 92 chevy gasser out of this cause no one cares
If what you say IS the case, then my first post CLEARLY describes in-detail which DIESEL I think he should go with. (Although, I think he's still on-the-fence about buying another truck.)

It seems you read the first couple sentences of my post then decided I had come into this thread to "bash diesels". Maybe you just see my name at the top of a post and just assume I'm "bashing diesels" without even looking to see what I have written? I don't know. As I said before, I'm not trying to start a war with anyone who owns a diesel (I've owned one myself). I'm sorry you feel like being combative with me. Hopefully, you can re-read my posts an realize that I'm not some-sort of "diesel-hating" hater. In-fact, you're welcome to come to MT and I will buy you a beer just to prove there's no hard feelings! I'll let you drive the Corvette that I would have been too poor to afford if I hadn't sold my Duramax.

Oh and BTW, My truck is a 93. I wouldn't want someone thinking I drive some old POS 92. LOL!