Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    readyaimfire            07-25-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
What are the best bindings that will release in a fall? Let's not turn this into a debate whether you should or shouldn't come out. Simply, which are the best?
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-25-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
any bindings that are comfortable that you dont completey cinch down.. i have 2011 shanes and there real comfortable.. if you had a pair of wrap bindings then you wouldnt have to even mess with any strings..
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       07-25-2011, 8:28 PM Reply   
I have never rode them but the ronix relics always looked like they would be easy to come out of in any bad crashes.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-25-2011, 9:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy1173 View Post
I have never rode them but the ronix relics always looked like they would be easy to come out of in any bad crashes.
Why is that?
Old    readyaimfire            07-25-2011, 11:55 PM Reply   
Do u think any of the new Velcro style boots would be more prone to releasing as compared to lace ups? I am currently riding ronix ones and injured my leg when I didn't come out on a failed backroll. I was thinking about the Lf vantage closed toe. Any one tried these?
Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2011, 3:59 AM Reply   
I used to ride LF Vantage OT, they would release if you had a hard fall. Although occasionally you would get one releasing and one not. I found it was best to cinch them down so you didn't come out to avoid one releasing and one not. But if you rode them loose they would release easily, but then you're control on the board would be poor. Today's bindings are designed not to release, if you want some that are going to release get some old open toe boots, maybe look at something like a pair of LF ultra suction. They will release easily if you have a hard fall, and you wont have to do them really loose to get that to happen.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-26-2011, 4:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy1173 View Post
I've never once come out of my Reliks.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       07-26-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
You don't want to come out of bindings bc you have the risk of one in and one out which = torn knee. I haven't came out of a binding in three years since I went to closed toe.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
Surprisingly I have found the system bindings release on bad falls. Not something I expected
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
Well, anything a size or two too large would work. Obviously your board control will be negatively impacted.

Best thing I can think of at the moment would be to get some velcro bindings like Vantages, AAs, or possibly something like Shanes/Sovens with the lower laces a little loose. Then cover part of each velcro closure with another piece of velcro so that only a small portion of each velcro strap actually attaches to close the boot. Then it should pop open easier upon impact. It might take some trial and error (yikes!) to find the right balance of staying closed when landing but opening when falling. Old, worn out velcro might work as well.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
try wearing socks (be it plain every-day socks or neoprene socks) with whatever boots you choose. They make sliding in and out of boots a little smoother/ easier and they tend to add a little bit of extra padding too especially if you have a-typical/ sensitive feet.

i came out of my Slingshot RAD boots on a bad backroll last weekend.

when it comes to the one-foot-in-one out scenario, yes it is the worst case scenario, but i like to occasionally mentally think about grabbing the board with my hands to keep the board from twisting. Make a decision before a choice is given to you kinda thing. can this be done in every case? probably not, but it will help prepare you and heighten your instincts and the "art of falling"

Last edited by wakerider111; 07-26-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old     (MattAlz33)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-26-2011, 12:10 PM Reply   
CWB's AA are the best. Super comfy and the Velcro straps keep you locked in when you want and allow you to come out on a hard crash. In fact the Velcro will completely come off from the inside of the binding on a real hard crash instead of tearing the binding or your body.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAlz33 View Post
CWB's AA are the best. Super comfy and the Velcro straps keep you locked in when you want and allow you to come out on a hard crash. In fact the Velcro will completely come off from the inside of the binding on a real hard crash instead of tearing the binding or your body.
interesting thought, never thought of the way CWB chose to attach the straps would have a benefit in that regard
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-26-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
Tommy,

I too prefer to come out on edge catches. I ride the low cut boots. Try the CWB Vapors. All the comfort of the pro models. Fitted feel, but they release your feet when you need them too. They're also velcro, so if your going to throw a hammer. you can reach down and loosen them very easily on the fly.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-26-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
Me too. I prefer eject over hold.

It never mattered to me early on until my first launches (and punishing splash-downs) doing backrolls.

I never once came out of my 07 LF shanes (they are collecting dust now in the attic).
So I put back on the the 05 Murrays which -- in spite of how tight they are to squish into -- release.

I find it an amazing confidence booster. Crashiing on an invert and ejecting from the bindings is never anything more than but a pretty good crash. Crashing on an invert and getting held tight is a potential day stopper.

The point is, I do not know which modern bindings will fit your wish. But I agree with your thinking. On a bad crash (as early tries on backrolls are prone to end up), I find ejecting and risking a risk of knee twist with 1 foot in and 1 out (which has not happened) is far better than getting held and just getting your head slammed (3 times, once unconscious, the other 2 damn woozy).

(Old LF ultras -- release ??? That's not what's typically advertised.)

Last edited by john211; 07-26-2011 at 2:57 PM. Reason: sp.
Old    readyaimfire            07-26-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
Good stuff here, I'm probably going to go the Velcro route. I love the comfort the new boots give me, but hate the headaches that come from a nasty edge catch. If I wasn't trying to progress to the next level I don't think it would matter, but Ive been landing blind alot lately and I'm not digging staying in anymore!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-26-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
I ride with One's also. I've been ripped out of them many times.
Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2011, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by john211 View Post
Me too. I prefer eject over hold.

(Old LF ultras -- release ??? That's not what's typically advertised.)
Apologies, I meant LF flex suction. I used to have a pair years ago and guarantee they release easily. Even just catching a hard edge while cutting when I was learning to ride they would both release.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-26-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
" ... but Ive been landing blind alot lately and I'm not digging staying in anymore! "

yep. for all who prefer eject, the above is the reason.
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-27-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
I have several pairs of '07 LF Ultras that I'm hoping will last until a suitable replacement comes along. I haven't tried the new ultras yet, but for a current binding, that is the only one I've seen that's made entirely of stretch material. Most of the new LF bindings have a small stretch panel in back to help with hard falls which is good, but there's no way it releases as easy as an all stretch binding. I get a concussion about every 2 years with the Ultras, and about every 6 weeks with my old Transits.

Also, I come out of only 1 boot all the time, probably happens almost every time I ride. It mostly happens catching an edge, but it's happened in the air before too and I've never had an injury because of it.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-27-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
^Thats a lot of concussions... I'm thinking you're just lucky with the one foot in, one foot out crashing.
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-27-2011, 3:23 PM Reply   
I've probably had 4 or 5 "mild" concussions, but I've been doing inverts for 14 years so concussions are not very frequent. With the transits, the beatings were way worse and resulted in 2 concussions in one summer before I yanked them off my board. Concussions are not cool.

Plenty of pros and regular folks have used the Ultras for years without freaking out about the 1 foot in / 1 foot out thing. Non releaseable bindings have only been around for about 6 years or so anyway, what happened before that? Knee injuries are not going down, but head injuries are definitely going up.