Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-14-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
We were out Friday night and Saturday riding rail road where the water was awesome, however, I cannot believe how many wakeboard boats were throwing huge power turns ruining the great water.

Just a reminder to everyone who rides the Delta, a power turn will wreck the water for all including yourself.

(Message edited by cheeseman on April 14, 2008)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-14-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
We were fortunate enough to avoid them. We actually had great water all day.

What a great day Saturday was eh?
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-14-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
Yeah I tried having a "NO POWER TURNS" sign out in front of our place on old river last year. Most people asked what power turns were? WTF? Cmon' who doesn't know what a power turn is? And then when I explained they said "I have to get back to my rider as fast as possible what if they get hit?" well the majority of time your rider is not in danger, and when they are, then I have no problem with the turn. It's when there are only 3 boats on the whole slough and 1 of them is tearing up the water for no reason. Yeah I could go ride somewhere else, but why should I have to ride somewhere else just because some guy is inconsiderate?

Don't even get me started on the wakesurfers that powerturn!
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-14-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
I'm guessing the PT'ers don't frequent this board.
Old     (ai_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-14-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
Where we ride, I think there are very few if any who understand what a power turn is or respects other enough to not do them. I occasionally jump on others' boats as well, all experienced drivers and riders, and yet they have no clue. I agree that it should be common sense, if you have any respect for others, but lets face it, a lot of times, people could care less about anyone not in their own boat. FYI We ride on St. Mary's River in FL, Lake Sante Fe(FL)
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-14-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
I was out friday afternoon with Fatsac and I've never driven an inboard before, so i got a lesson in how not to do P-turns and it makes perfect sense, any idiot can see that it ruins the water! I just surfed the bow wave until it died and then did a quick turn, I had plenty of time to get back. we did see another boat doing P-Turns, I think it was more for show. talk about burning fuel
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-14-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
forgot to give big props to Fat sac for the pulls and lessons on driving an inboard. Lots of multi- tasking... look for traffic/stuff in the water, keep it at 2,800 to 3k rpm. look at mirror repeat step 1.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
all i have to say is i hate powerturns anywhere and surfers on grant line..
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-14-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
Yeah,Grantline definitely got killed by surfers on Saturday.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
yea, that centurion followed us all day i swear...they were deff. having fun tho, they went by us a few times while we were riding so the females could show us their appreciation of our excellent riding skills..hahahah

but besides the side show i really disliked that boat saturday.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-14-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Was at Rairoads all saturday from 1030 - dark, didnt get any PT's -knock on wood!!!

Pretty much the entire time we shared Railroads with the Black 08 210 and my boys 02 X1. Perfect day!
Its so nice to share the water with experienced boat drivers who know riding etiquette. Even with a few boats to share the water with, its as though youre the only boat out there. I guess im speaking way too soon - summers around the corner and it will be all over
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-14-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
The girls on that boat were really good at surfing, it was cool to watch...but we just couldn't hang with the rollers they threw all down the channel, so we left and found a much better spot.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
we didnt see them surf...they were rippin yea?
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-14-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Miguel,

We were in the black 210 sharing the slew with you, however, besides you and the Twelkers tan Malibu it seemed that all the other boats where power turning.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-14-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
Ya it kills me too. When ever I get on other peoples boats I always tell them. There's a lot of people who ride that are clueless morons on how to actually operate a boat safely and the right way. Also there were tons of people goin the wrong way down railroad. That's pisses me off just as much. That and all of the off shore boats racing up and down sat made stuff sketchy
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-14-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Hey Chuck - whats up! Great Sharing Railroads with you guys on sat -- I was on the all white supreme.

You guys were pushin out a massive wake - gotta love those slammed nautique wakes!!! Cant wait till I swoop up my 220TE.

Hey - hope to continue sharing the sloughs with you guys till the snow starts fallin again. See ya out there! Good vibes, good peeps, great water - if only it was as easy as it was on sat.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-14-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
I was out on Railroad for a couple sets but when I was swamped twice by people going the "wrong way" I headed out of there. We had three boats come by us and were "nice enough to slow down" when we had a downed rider.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-14-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
I think the Orange X-Star was the worst offender out there. We even asked them to stop. Oh well, there loss as well. I can't wait to get back to Villa Lagos and avoid all the weekends on the Delta. And just ride the D weekdays!
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
im not gonna lie i had no idea what a power turn was until i started reading wakeworld.
if your just starting boating it kinda seems like the obvious thing to do actually.

PS thats not saying i enjoy power turners im just saying im not suprised people dont know what they are.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-14-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
OK here one for you. Yeasterday we were going down old river and this guy pulled up in front of us. We weren't riding so it was cool with me, I slowed down so that the guy could have the butter that was in front of him. I followed plenty far back untill he fell. I go to pass him after he falls and him and the driver both flip me off. They were pisse because i didn't pass him. How funny cause I would have been pissed when he passed me while I was riding. dumb asses.. Oh and there were tons of power turners out yesterday Too. I watched a guy in a brand New LSV almost put his boat through the divider on vics after it chime locked. That would have been great. My wife looked at me and said "what the hell is he doing" even she knows thats bad juju.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
can someone tell my ppl slow down to ab surf speed and then pass? if you're already smashin just keep on smashin right by...it already sucks your ab to toss some rollers my way but why make them bigger by slowing down?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-14-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
Everyone IN MY BOAT drives power turns [excluding myself of course] When I drive I make a point of it to slow down then turn, and it makes everyone in my boat mad. I've tried reminding them frequently but how do I tell my dad how to drive his boat without being rude?

Not to mention our own rollers swamp our own bow.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-14-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
You could try telling him that making a big sweeping power turn could get you run over.

I couldn't stand for sitting in a powerturning boat all day. I would go nuts.
Old    K.B.C.            04-14-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
we were out on Fri, only fishing boats :-)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-14-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
some people...
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-14-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
I tell my dad how to drive all the time lol (I love his square double ups). We never do power turns cause all it does ruin the water for us.
Old     (scott313)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-14-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
Some guys in a black and white Xstar almost hit my friends boat yesterday in Twins. My friends were idling back to pick up their rider and realized the Xstar was heading straight for her, everyone started standing up and waving their arms and a flag, still no change in course from the Xstar. At this point my friend decided to protect the rider and gassed the boat to get in between them, finally the xstar saw them and turned literally 15 ft from impact and then had the nerve to flip off my friends!
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-14-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
I'm Not in the delta, but down here in MS, it used to be big time "ski" area along time ago, you can definitely tell who grew up on the water and who didn't I was taught by my pops to never pt. now I'm out there on a sat where the water needs any advantage it can to stay smooth because of all the boats, and of course you see powerturns EVERYWHERE. so we just usually get up early and go when its the weekend, chill at the beach when its busy, and ride closer to dark when itsglass again.
JR, I'm right there with you. we had a bunch of huge cruiser type boats (which are too big to be on the river anyway), and thought they were doing you a favor by slowing down to 5 or 10 when we had somebody down. not only do you have to get turned around in the boat and make sure you give it gas and darn near ramp it just to keep it from sinkin, but the down rider is just about screwed . esp since none of us where cga jackets!

You'll laugh at this one. last year we were sittin at the beach during a busy sat havin a good time...noticed this tige 22v pull up BLASTIN the worst music and couldn't understand one word of it because of the distortion. all meatheads and all YELLING at each other because they didn't want to turn it down for a sec to tell somebody something haha. But they were obviously new to boating in general and even more obvious first time wake surf attempters...I only gather this because they were cruisin at about 5 mph with the most whitewashed wake I had ever seen and were going in a huuuge circle! dude wouldn't go straight for the life of him! after about 3 really good rollers into the back of my boat at the beach and a lot of pumping to get it out...I had to go out there and say "hey man, you know if you go straight it'll clean things up for you back there" but of course bein meat heads...what do you know about it! I said why don't you try it my way one time and see if its easier for your rider, and if not...then go sit at the beach and ill pull a rider in a big circle right in front of it and watch his boat get filled with water.

somepeople have no consideration for others...and it pisses me off when those same people b+tch about it not gettingthat consideration back!

sorry...vent over
Old    walt            04-14-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
Was a dog wearing deer antlers driving any of these power turning boats ? Or was it a sturgeon ?
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-14-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
Any of you delta riders a bit discouraged by the offshores in the smaller sloughs? I was pulling my 7YO daughter between Holland and Orwood and 2 offshores came screaming around the corner toward us with just enough room to get by. I thought 10:30 AM was early enough to avoid all the crazies to get my kids a good pull on the weekend. It was either the first nice weekend or I will have to set the alarm clock a little earlier. There were alot of boats out on Sunday!
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-14-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
ya rod they are going to really hurt someone. they are usually in the bigger sloughs but sat they were comin form everywere. We had two fly right by us one on each side and each one within 15 ft of us full throttle. I was super pissed.

I'm going to make a stop sign type deal with a handle like a crossing guard. But put no power turns on it. I'm going to hold it up when idiots pt around me.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-14-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
I have to bring back this classic with all the talk about Delta power turns....

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/354632.html
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-14-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
Not meaning to hijack but I will anyhow. Same theme I think.

I've never experienced this one before. We were cruising to the ramp to drop off my wife so she could get the truck/trailer in line to pick us up. As we are go by this one boat just floating about 100 feet from the dock, the guy says "You guys getting out". I said yep. Kinda confused, but didn't think much of it. I proceed to drop the wife off on the dock, and get out of the way. I cruise back by this guy and his wife still just sitting there in the their boat. He starts telling me about how some guy just cut in front of him. I say something like, some people just don't know the proper protocol and some are just a-holes.

Meanwhile, the ramp is just one dumb*** after another. My wife does a great job ( I was really proud of her ) getting the truck backed down the ramp. She left a bunch of room between her and the dumb*** on the ramp cause she could see he was having "issues". Now, this guy in the boat goes to the dock, gets out, leaves his boat and his wife right in the middle of the dock/ramp in everybody's way. Now, I'm really confused by this guy. There is two ways onto the ramp, the left and the above. He gets into his truck on the left of the ramp and cuts right in front of my wife and 3 other people behind her.

I was pissed. I go over there and yell at his wife basically, "Your husband just did exactly what he was complaining about." His wife, "What?". I said, he just cut in front of my wife and everybody else. His wife, "oh, he must not have seen her." Whatever! I'm pissed. But still keeping my cool.

So I cruise back out. Then, her husband is out of the truck getting the boat on the trailer. So I go back to let him know he just cut in front of my wife and everybody else. Exactly what he was complaining about.

NOW GET THIS!!! He says, "What!", So I repeat. He says, "You saw me out there!". I'm like...WHAT! Dude, Your truck isn't going to drive itself down the ramp. Somebodies got to go get it. There's a protocol and rules. You should figure it out next time. "Okay, whatever, I'm sorry." the guy says.

I just couldn't believe that this guy thought he was in line that whole time just floating around out there. Did he not watch what everybody else was doing? I've never seen this one before. Sorry for the long rant, I had to get this one off my chest.

End extemely long hijack.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-14-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
yea sunday seemed like we time warped to 4th of july weekend all of the sudden. there wasnt one slough that didnt have at least 5 boats on it
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
Tim, that old thread is a great one. Thanks, I missed it the first time. :>)
Old     (miguelito)      Join Date: May 2007       04-14-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
I ride on Mission Bay in San Diego and, believe it or not, myself and the friends that I ride with are the only people on the whole bay that have enough common sense not to do power turns. I don't care who you are. If you ride on Mission Bay and I don't know you, you do power turns. So Please, for the benefit of all of us, and you, please just cut the throttle after your rider falls and idle through the turn. It's really pretty easy and the little extra time it takes to idle back and pick up your rider is well worth worth it when you can pick up a clean line with no rollers.
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-14-2008, 9:08 PM Reply   
How should you tell one of your friends not to power turn ? I hate sitting in the boat and getting tossed around all day. It gets old real quick. I dont drive the boat so i cannot show him how its done correctly. Any suggestions ?
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-14-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
Not to mention you they are tearing up the water, but If you are on a river or the delta and power turn you take up the entire width. If a boat comes towards you they will see the boat before the down rider. That means they will head towards the rider. By keeping your line and slowing down, turning and going back other boats will move out of the way. Another bonus is the gas savings as long as you idle back.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2008, 9:41 PM Reply   
Does anybody have a PDF brochure of no power turns, I would like to laminate some and put them up at the boat ramp of our local lake. Its pretty good there but occasionally some people need some education.