Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-12-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Just think it's funny how some people want to look cool when wakeboarding. To me it's all about having a good set and a good time on the water. See I wakeboard with gloves all year round, I feel it gives me a better grip. I also wear goggles cause my eyes are so sensitive to the sun. So I get comments like you look so dorky when riding cause of the gloves and goggles, but do I care No. So with this said when you see a girl on the water with gloves and googles it's me Kimmy from Wakeworld. Stop by and say Hello!
Old     (mox369)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-12-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
question, do you always wear sunglasses or googles when outside then since your eyes are sensitive to the sun?
No harm intended here, i am just curious cuz i have never heard of this, is it a medical condition??

And more power to ya!!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-12-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
As long as you are out riding, having a good time, who cares what anyone else thinks!!
I love all the things you love to do as well,snowboarding,wakeboarding,motocross,skateboar ding, haha you rock Kimmy!!
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-12-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
Thanks innov8, I don't care I just thought it was funny and I am bored and thought I haven't posted a thread in awhile so what the heck. Let's have some fun and see the responses.

Moxilla.....no it is not a medical condition, at least I don't think so. Never have gone to see an eye doctor about it. I squint so bad in the sun without sunglasses and then I end up with a migraine headache. So that is a good thought, maybe I should do and eye exam and tell the doctor my systems.

I think my profile shows me in one of my pics me wearing my alien goggles...hehehe.
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-12-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
just for your information Kimmy, I don't think it is safe to wear goggles while you wakeboard. If you faceplant with goggles on it can push the goggles into your eyes causing all sorts of problems. That is the same reason why they don't allow divers to wear goggles during a swimming meet
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-12-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Wow, Jeff....never heard of that. I have been wearing goggles for years. I used to race jetskis years ago and wore them and ever since I started wakeboarding in 1999 I have been wearing them. I have taken hard crashes with them on and they just fall right off and float. They are not the type of swimmer goggles, they are more for active water sports.

Here's a link to the ones I wear.
http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Sunglasses__Goggles/Spex_Sport_Goggles__Polarized/index.asp
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
It's funny because I had looked at your profile months (years?) ago and remembered thinking to myself, "Wonder why she 'photoshopped' a bandana over her eyes?" :-) From the catalog, I don't think you are in danger of them 'pressing' into your eyes anymore than you are snowboarding with goggles or playing racquetball. Heck, I'll bet they help prevent the dreaded eyelid peelback that I sometimes get on bad crashes.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-12-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
Kimmy ~ do what feels good to you. I know a few people that don't care what they look like to other people...

Upload
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-12-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
Damn Joe... You are a stud!
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-12-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
Yeah Kimmy, do your thing...

Pretty soon everyone will be wearing goggles 24/7, and you'll be ahead of the curve;)

You should have your eyes tested though. I am the same way, can't go outside without sunglasses on anything but the darkest days.

My girls make fun of me all the time, they tell me I have a sunglass and chapstick addiction...

I seriously do, I start to panic if I don't have both on my person at all times!
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-12-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
I thought this was going to be another board short over the wetsuit thread/

Kimmy I wear contacts so I like to have some type of protection over my eyes. Sometimes I wear sunglasses but mostly I use goggles like yours. I have sensitive eyes also so I like to avoid the water glare. It's not a medical condition it's just that I really squint a lot and that gives me a headache. After twenty years working in a meat packing plant my hands have a bit of carpal tunnel so I use gloves quite a bit.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-12-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Wearing goggles while riding can get you seriously injured. Just a warning... The only time I think people look stupid [obviously I don't say anything though] is when they lack that fluid nature on thier board, but who cares, like it was said earlier its all about having fun. pull a parks and rock the man-shorts too!
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-12-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
Ya.....safety first

Upload
Old     (tige21i)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-12-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
kimmy, you think you might just be used to the goggles from jet ski racing and you just need something on ur eyes when your on the water?
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-12-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
I wore a helmet for years (to protect ears and decr impact on whip lash falls) and enjoyed the snickers of my pals, even got the nickname Robot.
Now they laugh at my neoprene head cover in drysuit weather,
I don't care, we give ea. other grief over everything
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-12-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
Wassup bug! Those posts sounded like you were being supportive..........but not really!

Kimmy-- been wearin' mine from day one. It's nice to not be squinting or taking spray to the eyes....

{sigh...} And she rides a banshee, too....

(Message edited by clubjoe on April 12, 2008)
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-12-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
thats nuthin
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-12-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
kimmy,
i can tell your a crazed snowboarder forced to wakeboard in the summer....... id wear my goggles too, which i think im going to try now.
thanks for the inspiration!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2008, 10:35 PM Reply   
when i read kimmy's post, the first person i thought of was clubjoe! haha! kimmy, i always wondered why you wore goggles. anyway, don't sweat it...do whatever you need to keep riding and enjoying it. by the way, re: gloves, have you considered the proline lg handles? they're suuuuuper comfy! i highly recommend them! ;)
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-13-2008, 1:20 AM Reply   
LOL....I am laughing from the responses. And the pic of Charlie well he is wearing my goggles in that pic.

Thanks for the support guys and your responses.

Joe, are those gloves you are talking about, 3/4, full hit me up via an email or myspace with more info on those. Thanks!
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2008, 2:02 AM Reply   
Clubjoe can wear whatever he wants!! But Kimmy, expect some sarcasm from me and ESPECIALLY Tate come this houseboat trip in june tho!!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-13-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Heres a picture of one of the guys from our crew Gary "G-Funk". He's doenst have the most talent out there, but he has a great time and after he faceplants workin on his 1 wakers, he laughs just as hard as we do. He tried the sunglasses for a joke one day and found out that he really was digging em! Says he likes it without all the glare. Coincidentally Gary's already going on 4 lost pairs of sunglasses this season. Luckily he gets a few new pairs from work every week! IMO, you do what you want when you back there. It's having fun and enjoying a day out on the water and NOT in the office.
Upload
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
the ronix totem is a super comfy handle too
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-13-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
if someone starts making fun of you kimmy just laugh at them, because i know a few heavy hitters that got your back. besides i think your riding style is dope and you do have skills to back it up.

sorry i didnt see your post till yesterday on the other thread, we were on ryans vlx yesterday not mine. you are most def welcome on my boat anytime. we might ride mid week this week ill tell charlie to call ya, lates B.

Upload
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-13-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
I wear gloves as well or I get blisters on my hands
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Kimmy - you are 38. This attitude where you care a lot less about looking cool is normal as one ages. The constant Vanity vs. Comfort battle really tips in favor of comfort when you get old creaky bones!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-14-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Very cool! I am buying a pair before the trip too!

Kimmy,

I am glad you can wear what you want, and not worry about what everyone thinks. Obviously, I don't worry about it either. Be comfortable.

BTW - Joe looks bad a$$ in his shades and gloves!
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-14-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
We should all wear goggles for the Shasta trip and make it a goggle party. I am prepared for you Tate and Johnny. I will just look at you and laugh back with you. Looking forward to the trip.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-14-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Yes, you should be comfortable when you ride. Yes, you can wear goggles and gloves if you want to. Yes, you'll look like a 'dork' if you do.

-Steve