Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
sounds like a good idea... i'll have to make some trips up there this summer
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
Trevor,

3 years ago Sterling hosted the Liquid Force trip across america crew. Food, a band, different boards to demo, and a clinic put on by some of the LF riders. It was a good weekend.
It would be cool to do something similar maybe with just one pro rider, or if that's not possible just do the rest. There are also some MC owners on TMCowners.com that are interested in a MC reunion-type weekend. Whatever you host, make sure it starts on a FRIDAY! We need at least one good day without all the boat traffic.

-Dave
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
I'll bring my X-star for those that need a pull. Upload
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-05-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
That is a nice boat Dave. My favorite colors...dam*
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
I'm still an xStar virgin. That boat is slammin'!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
Thanks guys........my riding needs all the help it can get! :-) It's been great so far, always trying to tweak the wake, hopefully this year it'll be dialed in even better than last season.

Sometimes I enjoy driving more than riding, especially with riders that have skills. Fun to see what they can do behind it.
This year it'll have a heater, shower, I-pod connect and total ballast of around 2500 lbs. Should be fun! :-)
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-05-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
I would be down for the tmc owners weekend
Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
We actually have that type of a weekend set up already..Here are a couple of the dates we have in mind...Remember though, these are all tentative, however not the events themselves, but the dates.. May 25th weekend - Kickoff Picnic..June 14, July 12, August 9, weekend - Wakeboard Camp.. August 23-24 Ride-a-Star Pro Weekend.. The Ride A star weekend is when the liquid force rider will come up...Last year was Collin Harrington?? If you email tbart@sterlingmarina.com to give me your email's, I will send you all of the dates when they are confirmed.

Hey, your boat is sweet..We just all the new '08's in and their downright pretty, especially that 40th anniv.

No worries!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-11-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
smwake, I sent you an e-mail. Keep us informed when the dates are solid. Lake Wally needs a good wakeboard invasion! :-)
Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-12-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
Hey Dave,

I responded back, I hope you received it?!? Anyway, I will keep everyone informed as too the times and dates for our events. It should be super sweet if you guys all came up for a few days!

No worries
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-15-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
FYI - got a session on the Marsh today water was 48 and air was all but 60. It felt good to get a pull in.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-16-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Wow, nice John! 100 degree rule and you had about 108! Drysuit or fullsuit? Any heater or shower on your boat? PICS please!

smwake, I got your message. Just keep us all posted on the Lake Wally happenings. I def want to hit the lake a few times this season. (I already have a volunteer to drive up there with me for an early sat. morning session sometime, any others??)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-16-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
I will try and get a pic or two up but it was a short trip. We used full 3/2 wetsuits and just had to keep our hands out of the water. I do have a heater and it is makes time on the water much nicer. Needless to say I could see the disappointment on the faces of the fishermen that they no longer had the lake for themselves.

If you want to roll down Dave let me know we will keep some room open for you.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
Bah! You should have made the trip down here, John. I got a session in Friday, it was 70 air/72 water, and the water looked like this all afternoon:

Upload
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-16-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Yeh I would love to come down but I got home at 4:30 and was one the water by 5. I am hoping to get down in April sometime. I will be working on a small ballast project next weekend. Here is one from coldsville(yes I forgot my dam* shorts over the wetsuit)...

Upload
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-18-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
those are some nice pics guys!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-18-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
I am pretty much ready to roll. It was really cool to get out on the water again.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-18-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
You guys are psyched if you are ready to ride PA now. We still have ice on Harveys Lake. Still snowboarding and downhill skateboarding/mountain boarding here.
Old     (lennyp04)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
Lake Wallenpaupack here.

07 MasterCraft X-1 White and Black. If you see it out on the lake come over and say hey!
Old     (pa_nautique)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-19-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
wow. Im next to shenango lake in western pa. I have no idea how you guys are already riding..without drysuits!!! our lake is 3/4 ice still. launches are still closed. Anyone ride on shenango here?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-20-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
Raystown is about as close to western PA as I get. For me as long as the 100 degree rule is broken a wetsuit works fine I am just not a drysuit fan.
Old     (pa_nautique)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
ewing, I havnt been to raystown, but i have family in state college and it may be possible that i will be ou that way later in the summer. Is everything melted off your way?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-20-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
No ice any more and we really don't get a lot of ice on the water. I am hoping to make raystown for an early June trip and not sure if much after that. I have planned to go to so many other places I just can't see getting to Raystown as much as I did last year.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-20-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
My lake is still frozen solid, mentally ready to go but we are at least a month from even thinking about getting out.

Andrew - I camp at Shenango 2 times a year to get the good weekday water. Usually ride the upper end by the marina.
Old     (pa_nautique)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
rich- ya either far ends of the lake are usual calm. its impossible to ride anywhere else on a weekend. Shoot me a pm when you come up. Do you have a boat?
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-21-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
Andrew, I have a boat but since I close to Sandy Lake, it is an Glastron with an outboard. Sandy Lake is a private lake and the owners specify that only outboards can be used there. I do ride with friends with a SAN and a Supra at other lakes. The one thing nice about riding at Sandy Lake is during the week in the evenings there are only a couple of boats out so you can really get some great water.

The beach at Sandy Lake
Upload
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-21-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Nice place to ride rich.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-22-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
Rich, looks like a nice lake.
Only outboards but no inboards? That seems backwards to me (2-cycle vs. 4 cycle)

Ewing, we're hoping to hit Raystown at least once this year.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-22-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
Let me know Dave, maybe I can hitch a ride.
Old     (pa_nautique)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-22-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
rich- onetime or another i had heard that it was an outboard only lake. Thats a shame it looks like a very nice lake.

anyways check out the great warm weather we are getting here in pa! puts you in the wakeboard mood!
Upload
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-23-2008, 6:31 AM Reply   
Ewing, you bet.

We usually stay in the lodge @ Raystown, we use to camp when we had the motorhome. Love that lake, if it were closer I'd be there every weekend.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-23-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
The outboard only rule at Sandy Lake has been in place as long as I can remember. I guess it comes from when outboards exhausted in to the air and the i/o's and inboards exhaust into the water. They were always worried about the water quality when the state tested the water. They made more money from the swimming beach compared to boating. There isn't any plans to drop this rule any time soon. But other than that, it is a great place to ride. It is a natural glacier lake that is extremely deep and the water is very clear.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-26-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
Dave,
Where do you take your boat to get serviced?
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-26-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
what up guys....
ill be visiting your fine state in a couple days for a lax tourney
just thought id give you a heads up
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-26-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
John Keenan,

I've had great service from Sterling Marine @ Lake Wallenpaupack (poconos). Ryan the owner is great to work with, fast service. www.sterlingmarina.com We also have 2 new MC dealers in NJ, www.flashmarina.com and www.sandypointmarine.com both good people. Routine maintenance I do myself.

When is your move to our area happening?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-26-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
Forgot to mention my good friend owns Offshore marine in sussex county, NJ. (Lou) Great service dept for Nautiques and any inboard for that matter. He's done some non-warantee work for me in the past, check out his site.

www.offshoremarinenj.com

(Message edited by njskier on March 26, 2008)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-26-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
Anyone ready to ride yet? I am shooting to go out this weekend...new ballast system installed.

BTW-props to Onlyinboards great prices and service on all my Fly high Sacks and fittings.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-27-2008, 4:39 AM Reply   
Harveys Lake ice was officially gone as of yesterday. I'm not riding until early May, although I usually sneak out once or twice in late April. My drysuit days are long gone, so I stick to skating till then.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-27-2008, 6:05 AM Reply   
Dave,
Thanks for the heads up on the dealers. I do the routine maintence myself but it is nice to know where the closest one is in case you ever need something. I am planning to make it up there next weekend, but the movers arn't comming until the end of april. That is probally when I will come back down and get my boat. How cold is the water temp? I just dropped the wetsuit and went to a topper last weekend(that was really nice). When are you guys going to break in the 08 season?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-27-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
JK, Here's what the current temps are where we normally ride.

http://www.delawareriver.net/temp.php

I most likely won't get out until mid-april, got to finish (ok start) my boat projects SOON!

Ewing, just give me a few weeks but I'd love to come out and ride soon.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
I will save a spot for you just bring some peeps.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-27-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
Wallenpaupack is partially open now. The north end is good, but the south end still has some ice...I am in the middle of installing a few things on my boat, but I think some friends may put a boat in and try to ride with dry suits this week.

If anyone is ever out this way hit me up. I am general manager at The Boat Shop so if I am not going out I usually know a few guys who are. I have a team with riders on Blue Marsh, Lake Harmony, and Wallenpaupack as well so I can set you up with them since they ride almost everyday.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-27-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
Got my new 2007 Ronix One bindings today to complete my new set-up for this year - 2006 139 Natural with the Ones. Can't wait for the ice to clear so I can try it out. I bought the board last year and really liked it especially without the fins.

Upload
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
Roy who is the kid that rides at Blue Marsh? I haven't really seen anyone done there with the boat shop on their boat, yet.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-27-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
Cody is his name. He has a black and dark blue vRide. Does not have a logo on his boat, only on his board. I think he actually rode up here more last year than there because he had more people to ride with.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
I think I saw his boat...one pair of pro 80's if I remember right. Tell him if he needs a ride or someone to go out with I am 4 miles from state hill boat ramp.

Also if you venture down this way give me a yell...maybe we could work out somthing for some lessons for my daughter.

(Message edited by johnsvt on March 27, 2008)
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-28-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
I will let him know. He has the pair of 80's.
I have not been down that way in a while, but may try this summer. I used to ride on marsh all the time since I went to school in Reading. Kept the boat in a storage unit off of 61. I have to try to find some more time to ride this summer. Last year I only got 10 good days in. My best riding was in late September. Most of the other days I was on the water, but giving lessons or just fooling around in bad conditions. My level has dropped off a ton over the last few years between that and injuries.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-29-2008, 4:51 AM Reply   
We should post more PA riding media. Here's my wife from back in '01.
http://www.wakepics.com/video/18938/smooooth-girl-style
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Nice vid Rich! She rips!

Damn, I'm going to hit Harveys lake sometime this summer just to be shown-up by a chic! J/K
She looks to be ready for backrolls and tantrums!

If anyone needs a little training, check out Jeff Bartons new wakeboard school here in NJ.
www.thewakeacademy.com
Old     (pa_nautique)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-29-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
this is a little off topic, but i feel i need to share this site with everyone. If you guys go on woot.com / steepandcheap.com or whiskeymalitia.com then you will love this. its called boardersbestbuy.com. they put one wake item on there each day at a low low price. im hoping they throw up a wake surf here soon.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-29-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
rich looks like she know what she is doing and that was 6 years ago, wow.

Wkerat I have heard you got some skills but that you like to slalom ski also
Old     (maximum_carnage)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-29-2008, 11:06 PM Reply   
I live at Harveys Lake also. Grotto pizza is right down the road from me.

While I don't have a dock or a boat here on the lake, I still love to ride (both wakeboard and wakeskate) and learn as I'm still just a beginner. Even though I live here at the lake, I do most (if not all) of my riding on another lake up in Ontario, Canada. I do have my one board setup here in my basement as I brought it home for the winter but the rest of my gear is up north.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-30-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
Ewing... You got me... I started out as a skier and got into boarding as something to do when I was not training for tournaments. Took a break from skiing for a few years but started again last summer since I was tired of getting hurt (ended the season before with a knee injury, which was my first time riding after fracturing my maxilla and knocking out my teeth)

On a side note Steves boat is beautiful.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-30-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
I just saw the pics...wow great combo, the red really pops, on steve's boat. I have heard injuries can come easy as the tricks get harder.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-30-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
It seems too, problem is once you get a few injuried hesitation causes more. I spent most of last summer working on basics and did a few basic inverts and spins. Stayed away from anything else.

My injuries came on a roll I was under rotating so I tucked tighter. From what I was told I came down on another boats wake. My head flew into my knee and the rest is history. The knee injury came on a 5, I was tentative from not riding, threw it before I was off the wake so I did not get the pop I needed. Underrotated and caught my edge just right. I have never been hurt going at the wake too hard, only when I hesitate. I am hoping this summer I can get back into it and get my act together, but if not I will use my ski more, haha
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
Chad, drop me an email and we'll ride. I'll try to post some more videos of myself and friends soon. I have some good stuff.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-31-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
Wkerat if you want to come down sometime let me know I always have room at my place and we always have a good time. Zimmerman's ride with us a lot so I am sure they wouldn't mind seeing you either(they own an 03 VLX with that the illusion.)
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
Dave,did you get my email about Garrety Realty and their cottage rentals?
Old     (bcl569)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-31-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
Hey, I was curious, has anyone started riding in Western PA?
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-31-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
Ewing, I know the Zimmermans, If i can ever get some time off I may have to do that. Did you have any issues with your lower pair of pro-80's and head room for the people sitting?
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
Brandon,

My lake is still ice covered, hopefully will be clear this week.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-31-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
Wkerat I did...I have different speakers this year and mucho more headroom. However, the sound to rider isn't as good.

Zimmerman's actually rode on my boat almost more than there own last year, good kids.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-31-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
Ewing, what are you running speaker wise this year and what do you think of the differences?
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
footage of me behind my old 19' prostar 190 in 2001 and 2002. With kids now, not much time to break out the video camera except for them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y-3Myhwrd4
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-31-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
That is some good riding schooledrider.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-31-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
I guess since my boat's being mentioned I should hop in on this. I live a little north of Reading and ride all over the place. I have friends on Blue Marsh, the Susquehanna a private community up here, and several friends down in the DC area (I just moved back from down there). If you guys organize something during the week somewhere I may be game.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-31-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
Here's a couple pics of my new ride:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Turned out as good as I could've imagined. I owe a big thanks to Roy (wkerat) and the crew up at the Boat Shop on Wallenpaupack. They took really good care of me, were very helpful, and great to do business with. Thanks again...
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-01-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Dam* show off...welcome sp0tts
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-01-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
schooled,

Shoot me that e-mail again about Garrety realty, I may have deleted it but not sure. I'd love to grab a cabin for a weekend sometime up there. Nice video BTW!

Spotts, nice BU! VLX, right? Man she looks sharp. Bet you can't wait to hit the water soon. Give some details (options, what engine, etc.)
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-01-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
Hey Dave,
Garrety Realty
89 Lakeside Dr
Harveys Lake, PA 18618
570 639 1891
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-01-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Ewing, - I can take em down if you'd like?

Dave, yeah VLX with the 340 Monsoon. Has most options, bow ballast, power wedge, heater, shower. I have some Wetsounds to mount when I find the time and plumbing in a couple sacks to the rear compartments, and some lead up front. As soon as work slows down a bit I'll be out. Today actually would be perfect for some riding here.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-01-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Don't take them down...that boat is to pretty. I am just jealous.

Little windy don't ya think?
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-02-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
We don't need to worry about wind too much up here. It would've been a good day to be out. Not sure if it's any consolation, but the biggest difference between my boat and yours is probably the extra amount on my loan. I should've bought a house first, then boat second, but you can see where my priorities are.
Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-02-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
What lake do you ride on?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-02-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
sp0tts I am still jealous and I like your priorities.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-02-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Does anyone have sliders set up or a good place to set them up?
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-02-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
Check out my video above to see the nasty dock slider we used to have. Resulted in many ugly bruises.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-02-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
Nice, what happened to it?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-02-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
John there's talk that a guy is setting one up on the Delaware river this year........his parents have a place right on the river. Because the tide is 6-7 feet, I'm sure it'll be a floating one that maybe he can bring into shore when not in use. Haven't heard much about it lately on the NJ thread so we'll see if it materializes.

schooled, thanks for the info. I also found the website......

www.stonehurstcottages.com

It says there are boat docks as well, true? What's your opinion of these cottages? I might have to take a ride up sometime and check them out.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-02-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
Dave,
Is there a place to set one up on the Delaware? I will build it and put it up but will it get taken down? What about where you have wakefest?