Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
I know we debate this every spring. Last year...the global warming factor was working in my favor....this year...well...we are getting snow tonight and here it is mid april. Ridiculous. I am getting cabin fever and now I am looking into a suit. Drysuits seem nice...but wouldn't I use a wetsuit more often...plus not to mention they are cheaper. But more than likely...the 1st week of May we are running regardless of the weather. I would imagine here in Michigan...the water will be 40 to 45 degrees, What are your thoughts...let them roll? Remind you...I am on a budget this year....saving up for the wonderful gas prices this season when they hit $4 a gallon.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-12-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
Drysuit, with one of those and some balls you can be out there the second the ice (assuming you have it ?) and stay out till it comes back

your best bet is checking ebay and craigslist for one like i did. I picked up a brand new Bare for $200 on ebay.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-13-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
Full Wetsuit, I have a 3/2 and ride in 40* water. Sure its cold, but its not unbearable. I also bought a hood, that made the most difference I think. And for $12 cant go wrong.

This is my opinion. Some dont like/cant handle the cold, if thats the case go for a dry suit.
Old     (apeljax000)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-13-2008, 10:13 PM Reply   
I absolutely hate riding in a drysuit!! For whatever reason, I feel very constricted and uncomfortable when I have one on and can't concentrate on riding. I bought a 3/2 wetsuit for surfing and wear it now when I wakeboard in cold water. Some of my friends are hardcore drysuit users though. The cool thing about a dry suit is that you can layer up underneath it. I would suggest wearing a friends drysuit to see if you like it.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-14-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
i wore a drysuit for the first time this spring and a week later wore my full wetsuit. all i can tell you is that there is def a difference! of course, i'm a big baby when it comes to cold water so take that for what it's worth. i will say that if the sleeves and neck leak like the suit i borrowed, then make sure you have some extra clothes on board....still MUCH warmer than the wetsuit. i'd try one before i dropped the coin. good luck with the 40* water....ouch!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
get a psycho 2 4/3 and you wont even get wet. you'll get a little damp but just enough to make yourself warm. i'd rather wear a 4/3 than a dry suit anyday.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-14-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
My 12 year old daughter rode last week in wetsuit with the water temp at 54. She shivers in 80 degree weather. She has a full wetsuit and before she drops in I use the hot water shower and fill up the wetsuit. She says that she is not cold until she falls, so just don't fall.

(Message edited by roughrivermike on April 14, 2008)
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-14-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
I would recommend a drysuit. For me i feel very constricted in a fullwetsuit because it is tight, plus you still get wet. I have found that using a dry suit [one that is the correct size] is the way to go when the water is too cold. you can wear your clothes under it so you stay warm. If you do this, i would go try on sizes first, especially if you plan on buying it from ebay or craigslist. Just make sure you are comfy in it and are able to bend down as if you wern't wearing it. They might be pricey, but if you want to utilize your boat and water time, it is definitly worth the money.
good luck!
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-14-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Drysuit, hands down..... A little wet on the cuffs of my clothes, but I usually have to crash to get that... It's also nice to be dry -and- warm between sets.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-14-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
I have both and use them for different conditions.

If it's really cold, dry suit.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
If you are not a wus like me, then wetsuit, but if you like to be warm and toasty riding and between sets go with a drysuit. Only you can judge what temps you will ride and what your comfort factor is.

I only use a wetsuit for wakeboarding because no one I ride with will hit the water until it is well into the 60s. Actually if it is not 75+ air, I would much rather hit the dirtbikes anyway. I have a drysuit but have never used it wakeboarding - only use it for kayaking.