Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-27-2015, 1:06 PM Reply   
So I am looking to purchase a used go pro. its gonna be for Snorkeling, shooting surf, and shooting surfing vids and stills.
I have zero experience with them currently, and have never purchased used electronics without some sort of a warranty. If I could afford to spend full price for what amounts to a hobby, I would do it, but I am almost maxed out on hobby costs right now! here are the two in my area I am currently looking at:
https://ventura.craigslist.org/ele/4833823230.html
https://ventura.craigslist.org/pho/4865312949.html

thanks guys. I appreciate any advice out there.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-27-2015, 2:14 PM Reply   
battery life on my hero 3+ blew; low light sucked too.....used mine twice... gave it to some kid in Puerto Rico when I got pissed off using it the second time.; I hated it.

there's not much to break on them. prolly a safe bet buying used.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       01-27-2015, 2:34 PM Reply   
I bought a cheap gopro imitation from aliexpress.com for less than $100 with all kinds of extras. I used it all this last summer and it appears to be just as good a quality as any other gopro.

The only negative of the one I have is that it didn't come with a remote control, but I see that they have some that do now.

It does take a couple of weeks to receive it from there though.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-28-2015, 2:22 PM Reply   
I had a 3+ black and now have a 4 silver.

The 3+ black would probably be the best one to search for used because it came with the remote control. IMO having the remote is super nice for use on the boat. the gopro app is okay, but uses more battery and isn't as reliable at maintaining a connection. Plus the remote is VERY easy to hand to about anyone to have them control the vid.

I went the the 4 silver because I'm a sucker for technology and wanted the LCD touchscreen.

My buddy just went the "best value for cheap" route and got the gopro 3, then bought a remote after the fact. Personally, I like how the gopro 3+ black and newer have the superview because it gives a widescreen without cropping any of the image:
http://gopro.com/support/articles/what-is-superview

But if that's not important to you, then you can get a little more value with the 3. Keep in mind that the 3 is bigger, so the newer cases won't work. I think they all have different batteries too. But get extra batteries/charger/mounts on ebay anyway for cheaper.

What's your budget? It'll take about $300 typically to get a used 3+ black (includes remote).
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-28-2015, 2:28 PM Reply   
If you don't have your heart set on gopro, then consider a Contour Roam2. It's waterproof enough for everything but diving. It is very simple: slide the switch forward and it's "on and recording" and slide the switch backwards and it's "stopped and off". It has a WAY better profile for using on a helmet. they can be had for around $100 on ebay NEW. they are waterproof enough for snorkeling right out of the box. they do 1080p in 30fps and 720p at 60fps. they have a lot less of a fisheye view.

The downside is that they wouldn't be good for stills. they don't have a viewfinder and are really for video.

Old     (steezetadakneez)      Join Date: Jul 2014       01-29-2015, 7:40 AM Reply   
Ttrigo I have a 2 and a 3+ if your still interested in buying one
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-29-2015, 10:08 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. The 3+ is kinda where I'm leaning. Are there certain things I should be looking for, or questions to ask if I'm buying used? I know enough to avoid them if they were used for motocross or mtb, but what else should I be looking for? I don't want to drop $350 for something, only to have it die on me first time out. I'm assuming the warranties are very limited and are non transferable. Thanks again guys.