Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Norm02)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-20-2018, 11:18 AM Reply   
Hi Everyone,

I’m excited to be a part of this forum and I’ve been reading a good number of post so far. There’s a lot of good information on this forum and I’ve already learned a lot. I look forward to learning a lot more and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

As the title states, I’m going to buy a new boat this season and I’m looking to stay in the <$100k range. My family consist of my wife and I plus two kids that under the age of 10. The boat will primarily be used to pull tubes, skis, wakeboards, surfing, and cruising around the lake.

I’m planning on buying new (unless I find a demo boat or a left over previous year model) and I’m planning on keeping it for at least 10 years. I kept my last boat (Crownline 192BR) for 12 years and I’d like to do the same this time around so resale value is important to me.

I’m only considering boats that are in the 23-25ft range and it will be trailered to several different lakes and not parked in a slip. I’m also only considering inboards and Jet Boats (Scarab) since I want to have the ability to surf behind the boat. We’ll probably have friends and family with us most of the time so it needs to hold at least 13 people.

The boats I’m considering are the Moomba Mojo, Axis A24, Mastercraft NXT22, and the Scarab 255 Wake Edition. Please feel free to add to my list if there are others that I should consider and I’ll check them out. I am planning on demoing all of the boats I’ve listed as I think that’s the only way to fairly evaluate each one.

I’ve listed some questions that I have below and hopefully the back ground info I’ve given will be helpful in answering my questions. I’d like to know the following and thank you for the advice!

-Which boat is the best value in terms of performance, features, reliability, and resale value
-Is it worth the money to go for the biggest engine available in each boat? I’m leaning towards yes
-Is the Raptor 440 worth spending an extra $5k on compared to the Raptor 400 (Moomba)
-Are better deals available if you order a boat vs buying an in-stock boat (no demo or holdover)
-In general, what are the most import options to select or look for on this style boat.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2018, 12:16 PM Reply   
Not much choice with your range.. you said 23-25 but the NTX22 ain’t one.. if you want a 22ft. Some other deals may come thru your choices tho.
Personnaly i would forget about MasterCraft not because they ain’t good but because you gonna take the economical one. Like I would prefer a fully loaded Acura instead of a strip down Mercedes almost naked and chopped everywhere for lowering the price.

For the raptor engine it’s up to you if you want to pay 5K for a computer flash (because yeah it’s the exact same engine instead the 440 is flash)
I would take a 400 or the roush (I think it’s 550).

For a long term boat. I would avoid Axis too. It’s just my personal opinion but They are’nt monohull si that mean for me maybe some trouble in the long time.. like stress cracks. And for me axis was kind of over priced for what it give. Even prefered the Moomba product and less pricy.

Your resale value gonna depend on how you keep your boat clean. Not very the brand. Moomba are great for resale value because they are not expensive, they lost big in the beginning but they top a price pretty soon. So Moomba is great when you want to change your boat each 4 5 years. Low investment, lower losses.

Moomba are great product. The Mojo is a pretty damn good overall boat. Perfect for families. It’s an entry line but it’s perfect when you have a budget and want to do lots of thing and not just one (like just surfing). The best bang for the buck . And for you that’s pretty much What you want because 100K for a 23footer it’s kind of the only one.

Im a Nautique fan. Primary I would say a 230, but it’s a little bit higher than your budget. But you have so much more it ain’t comparable.
Much more reliable too.
Instead of MasterCraft with Nautique you don’t really pay for the name. You pay what you have a rock solid boat for years. And 230 i think it’s the perfect one because the price ain’t that big and it’s smaller than the G line (wich I prefer because G series are a bit big, too heavy for me. Harder to transport when your a lot on the road).
I have a 210. Paid flush 100k fully equiped. Not one options is missing. (Expect the H6 motor, have the ZR409)
And never had trouble with 6-7 people on the boat. Me, my wife, my sister his housband and their 2 little monster haha. 21 ft plenty enough for me.
And if you want to surf... forget the scarab

Hope it helps! Good luck

Last edited by Mike88; 02-20-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       02-20-2018, 12:44 PM Reply   
Might want to throw the MB B52 23 and F24 on the list. We have been 100% pleased with our 2016 MB.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2018, 1:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSurfer View Post
Might want to throw the MB B52 23 and F24 on the list. We have been 100% pleased with our 2016 MB.
Totally agreed. MB Sport B52 23’ may be 100K if you don’t go to hi on options!
Forgot about them totally, we don’t have any MB dealer in the whole state..
But all reviews from owners seems pretty awesome. Would love to try one sometimes.
A good compromise, more than Moomba but less then Malibu.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-20-2018, 1:26 PM Reply   
What you are looking for is somewhat confusing. If you want to surf on the lower end of your budget would be the supreme s 238 solid boat with a great rough water ride and a nice surf wake. On the top end of your budget the centurion fi 23 could be optioned to meet your price point.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-20-2018, 1:47 PM Reply   
Don’t get a jet boat for water sports. I don’t care what the dealer tells you, it is nothing like an inboard......
Jet boats have their place, but being a good surf boat is not one of them.

Got that out of the way.....

If your budget is 100k, and you are looking at 23-25, I’d look most seriously at-

MasterCraft XT23 (skip the NXT line). The MSRP will show a lot higher than 100k on the sticker, but there is a current nationwide promotion running for a standard price of $99k (fairly base, but has the needed options), up to 109k for a well optioned one. And this isn’t their budget line boat....

Yes, you will find some that are loaded like crazy, and cost more than the 109k, but the promo optioned boat has a ton of stuff, and can easily have the rest added down the road (MCs are prewired for every option).

I just think, right now, an XT23 is locked at an excellent nationwide price, and is a good value, for what you get.

There are lots of other choices, above and below that price mark...... but IMO, if you are going to keep the thing for 10 years, I would try to stick with the bigger brands (MasterCraft, Nautique, Malibu, and Supra/Moomba)
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       02-20-2018, 1:52 PM Reply   
What dealerships are around you? Relationship with your dealer is really important. You listed Moomba, Axis, and Mastercraft but you left out Centurion, Tige, Supra, Malibu, etc.
Old     (Headhoncho)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-20-2018, 1:53 PM Reply   
I own a 2016 NXT22 and would think for your family, age of kids and what you have stated that it would be great for you. Great ride, plenty of wave push for a 300lb rider, and mastercraft resale. Seating for 14 works great too. Since owning my NXT I have never desired anything bigger or more expensive... I could own 2 NXT boats for the price of 1 of the high end/equipped boats. Just my thoughts
Old     (Headhoncho)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-20-2018, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
Don’t get a jet boat for water sports. I don’t care what the dealer tells you, it is nothing like an inboard......

If your budget is 100k, and you are looking at 23-25, I’d look most seriously at-

MasterCraft XT23 (skip the NXT line). The MSRP will show a lot higher than 100k on the sticker, but there is a current nationwide promotion running for a standard price of $99k (fairly base, but has the needed options), up to 109k for a well optioned one. And this isn’t their budget line boat....

Yes, you will find some that are loaded like crazy, and cost more than the 109k, but the promo optioned boat has a ton of stuff, and can easily have the rest added down the road (MCs are prewired for every option).

I just think, right now, an XT23 is locked at an excellent nationwide price, and is a good value, for what you get.

There are lots of other choices, above and below that price mark...... but IMO, if you are going to keep the thing for 10 years, I would try to stick with the bigger brands (MasterCraft, Nautique, Malibu, and Supra/Moomba)

After writing my own reply why the NXT22 is great... I want to say I agree with this post too... XT22 or XT23 come stock basically like a NXT with a few options
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       02-20-2018, 1:58 PM Reply   
I will echo Eric’s comment on jets. I had one (Yamaha) for four years. It was a fun and absolutely reliable boat but the difference between it and our MB for any watersports is night and day.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-20-2018, 2:10 PM Reply   
Mastercraft resale? The market has shifted to surfing and master craft got left behind. I realize the new masterctafts surf better than years past but to little to late. Here where I live masterctafts are a hard sell anymore.
Old     (Norm02)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-20-2018, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:

If I could get an XT23 for close to $100k I’d be all over it. I really like the interior layout of that boat so it’s good to know that they can be optioned and bought for very close to $100k.

Good to know on the jet boats and I figured they wouldn’t surf as well as an inboard but didn’t think it’d be night vs day.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-20-2018, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Mastercraft resale? The market has shifted to surfing and master craft got left behind. I realize the new masterctafts surf better than years past but to little to late. Here where I live masterctafts are a hard sell anymore.
Hate to say it, but..... out of all the brands of inboard boats being built today, there are more sold every year that say “MasterCraft” on the side, than any other brand. Malibu+Axis sells more combined, but not just Malibu (they are fairly close, but not quite).

MC did resist designing boats around primarily surfing for a few years, but that has changed, and is old news. Like it or not, their boats surf excellent, and they are still one of the most recognized name in wake boats.

Sorry, but yes, resale will be better on a 10 year old MC, than a lot of the other, less recognized brands.

Your area might not have many MCs these days, but plenty of areas with nothing but MCs. Same goes for the other big brands. My area is completely void of Malibu’s, but I’m not so ignorant to think they aren’t one of the top, most desired brands out there...... if you look at some of the smaller brands, there are areas of the country that don’t even know what they are...... nobody in my area even knows what a Tige, MB, or Sanger is. There isn’t a dealer for any of them for 100s of miles. Same with Centurion. None of these brands have any dealers in the northeastern US. Plenty of dealers for MC, CC, SC, and Bu, though..... just like the rest of the country.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with any of the smaller companies, but when 50% of buyers don’t even recognize the brand name, it narrows the buying audience, which makes them sell for less on average. Nothing anyone can do about that..... most buyers don’t educate themselves on what’s out there, before going to buy....
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2018, 2:36 PM Reply   
Maybe it’s different in the US But a 100k centurion Fi23, MC XT23, Wakesetter 23vlx, Tige Z3 or even a Supra SA (wtf!?) man you guys are lucky. Nothing in these models are under 105K usd converted in cad.
Old     (Norm02)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-20-2018, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnMac42 View Post
What dealerships are around you? Relationship with your dealer is really important. You listed Moomba, Axis, and Mastercraft but you left out Centurion, Tige, Supra, Malibu, etc.

I’m within 30 minutes of Moomba/Supra, Malibu, Mastercraft, Nautique, Centurion, and Tige. Will be paying close attention to the customer reviews and that will make a difference on which store and brand I end up with. I wasn’t sure if the other brands you mentioned could be bought in the price range so I’ll check those out as well.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-20-2018, 2:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm02 View Post
If I could get an XT23 for close to $100k I’d be all over it. I really like the interior layout of that boat so it’s good to know that they can be optioned and bought for very close to $100k.

Good to know on the jet boats and I figured they wouldn’t surf as well as an inboard but didn’t think it’d be night vs day.
It’s a great value right now.... (as good as could be expected these days )

It’s on a nationwide promo, and they are holding dealers to the promo prices.....
http://www.mastercraft.com/wintersales
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2018, 2:43 PM Reply   
Sure. MC always been a top of the line product. They still are. Up here (Canada) like Eric said, everybody know MC. Centurion, Supreme, MB, Tige barely exist. But MC is still Mc.. luxurious boats at a hell of a price. Never we gonna see an XT23 at 100k sorry.. maybe if it’s nacked from options, no surf system Haha.. MasterCraft have their name. But you kind of pay for it too. And the surf wave, good very good instead but not the best. Best interior tho. But for that price it should be the best
In everything! Guess I’m US MC is less pricy or dealers are less gourmet than here.
Old     (Norm02)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-20-2018, 2:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
It’s a great value right now.... (as good as could be expected these days )

It’s on a nationwide promo, and they are holding dealers to the promo prices.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/wintersales

Is the standard engine the way to go or is it worth it to stretch my budget and upgrade to the next most powerful engine?
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-20-2018, 2:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Is the standard engine the way to go or is it worth it to stretch my budget and upgrade to the next most powerful engine?
I know the Ilmore 5500 works great in that boat, but not sure on the 5000. I’m sure it does the job, but I’d go 5500, and it’s not much of a price difference. The 6000 takes a pretty big jump in price, but isn’t needed for that boat.

If it was me, and I was trying to stay between 100-110k on a new XT23, I’d skip the klipsche tower speakers and add the 5500 engine. Then I’d just do some wetsounds or JL cans.... that is one thing that MC pricing is crazy on. Those billet aluminum tower cans cost way more than they are worth.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-20-2018, 3:21 PM Reply   
huIf he is keeping it for 10 years I would be more concerned with how it will work for me than resale. I see lots of MC on the lake with a bunch of people hanging off the back trying to make a wave that is surfable.
I have always been a performance over name recognition kind of guy. I think you could get an fi for close to your budget and have one of the best new surf boats on the market.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-20-2018, 3:31 PM Reply   
^always love comments like this......

The ironic thing, is that if there is a brand these days that needs "dialing in", it's a centurion..... that's just the way it is with a super deep v like that.

No doubt that centurion lays down some of the best waves out there, but they aren't as "push button" friendly as some of the others. You could argue that until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't change physics. Deep Vs put out some of the nicest waves, with lower weight needed, but they have the downside of being finicky.

Every brand out there surfs great these days. Don't be ignorant.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-20-2018, 4:26 PM Reply   
Not all boats surf well it's just fact. Top three surf boats on the left coast are Nautique, Centurion and supra.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-20-2018, 4:32 PM Reply   
I know what I spent my 100k on
Attached Images

Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       02-20-2018, 4:50 PM Reply   
Engine size really depends on your elevation. A surf prop at reasonable elevation can make a big difference tho and most "base" engines are gonna be ok at 1000ft or less of elevation.
Here is another vote for the FI23. Look up the Boardco video that shows the FI23 going from skiing, to wakeboarding to surfing all within 5mins....then tell me that boat is hard to dial in! I own a 2014 Centurion and get a consistent big surf wave EVERY time without spending any time "dialing". Perhaps on the older models, but nothing new. RI perhaps a little bit of dialing just getting the initial setup since you wont know the boat but then you push the button and go. FI23....nope. Fill, push button and go AND you get long, big wave every time with a great pocket. Nautique also has a great surf wave but some beginners have more trouble cause it can be a much steeper wave and hard to dial down and length can also be tough with the G boats....dont know if its the same with 210/230, beautiful boats to be sure. The Supra is also pretty badass, cant wait to try the SL and since I havent, I cannot say for certain, only what I have seen and the reviews which seem pretty stellar. Sure all the new boats can be made to surf but there is no question that some are way better than others, saying anything else is the definition of ignorance.
MC has come a ways in last couple years but still are more wakeboard driven on many models and I have seen some crazy antics on my lake seeing people trying to get a good surf wave and usually the bow is so high they can barely see over it. Not to say they are all like that, I know that is not true but they are NOT known for an incredible surf wave. Incredible boat, yes.
I have only been in a couple Mooba's and none were new. I do have a friend that is pro and he said that the Max puts out a very nice wave, even if it does look a bit blocky....and they seem like a good value and something to be said about a boat with less electronics that could possibly fail down the road if you will own it for 10yrs. That is also something about the Supra I really like, the redundant analog system's that back up the electronics. If something does fail, you still get home. SL will be over your budget new tho.
Having $100k to spend on a new boat is a great position to be in. Demo, demo, demo. Also, MSRP is just a number and getting a leftover or demo model could be a smart move that saves you depreciation and also has some of the bugs worked out cause any boat can have some new bugs to work out. Good luck and congrats
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-20-2018, 4:52 PM Reply   
Apologies..... forgot I was on wake world.
Old     (Norm02)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-20-2018, 5:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysurf View Post
Engine size really depends on your elevation. A surf prop at reasonable elevation can make a big difference tho and most "base" engines are gonna be ok at 1000ft or less of elevation.
Here is another vote for the FI23. Look up the Boardco video that shows the FI23 going from skiing, to wakeboarding to surfing all within 5mins....then tell me that boat is hard to dial in! I own a 2014 Centurion and get a consistent big surf wave EVERY time without spending any time "dialing". Perhaps on the older models, but nothing new. RI perhaps a little bit of dialing just getting the initial setup since you wont know the boat but then you push the button and go. FI23....nope. Fill, push button and go AND you get long, big wave every time with a great pocket. Nautique also has a great surf wave but some beginners have more trouble cause it can be a much steeper wave and hard to dial down and length can also be tough with the G boats....dont know if its the same with 210/230, beautiful boats to be sure. The Supra is also pretty badass, cant wait to try the SL and since I havent, I cannot say for certain, only what I have seen and the reviews which seem pretty stellar. Sure all the new boats can be made to surf but there is no question that some are way better than others, saying anything else is the definition of ignorance.
MC has come a ways in last couple years but still are more wakeboard driven on many models and I have seen some crazy antics on my lake seeing people trying to get a good surf wave and usually the bow is so high they can barely see over it. Not to say they are all like that, I know that is not true but they are NOT known for an incredible surf wave. Incredible boat, yes.
I have only been in a couple Mooba's and none were new. I do have a friend that is pro and he said that the Max puts out a very nice wave, even if it does look a bit blocky....and they seem like a good value and something to be said about a boat with less electronics that could possibly fail down the road if you will own it for 10yrs. That is also something about the Supra I really like, the redundant analog system's that back up the electronics. If something does fail, you still get home. SL will be over your budget new tho.
Having $100k to spend on a new boat is a great position to be in. Demo, demo, demo. Also, MSRP is just a number and getting a leftover or demo model could be a smart move that saves you depreciation and also has some of the bugs worked out cause any boat can have some new bugs to work out. Good luck and congrats

I’m about 500ft above sea level so I’m sure the base engine would be adequate but I don’t want to miss out on a substantial difference in overall performance. Performance is more important to me than extra speakers or having touch screens so I’d rather spend money on having the best engine for the boat.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-20-2018, 5:47 PM Reply   
Quote:

The ironic thing, is that if there is a brand these days that needs "dialing in", it's a centurion..... that's just the way it is with a super deep v like that.

No doubt that centurion lays down some of the best waves out there, but they aren't as "push button" friendly as some of the others. You could argue that until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't change physics. Deep Vs put out some of the nicest waves, with lower weight needed, but they have the downside of being finicky.

Finicky yes, I guess if you are a day trader that wants to surf a couple weekends a year then you probably don't want to spend the time to set your boat up.
Not all boat a surf "great" these days. You could say all boats are surfable, sure I could surf a jet boat. Hell I can surf a jet ski, that does not mean they surf great. There is a clear difference in the top three and I would agree Supra, Nautique and Centurion.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2018, 6:49 PM Reply   
Agreed.
What’s sad it’s just that everybody rep his brand like it’s the best. (And me too I’m part of that).

Agreed with «*every boat can surf well*» these times it’s just a matter of preferences. All 100K boat will do the job. Preferences will do the rest (if you prefer surfing, boarding, comfort)
Every brand have their pos and cons.

But in the other side it’s thrue for surfing my top3 is Supra, centurion, Nautique.
Boarding is a different list, Styling too, etc.

I think we kind of forgot the main thread haha. Wich is a good all around first time towboat first owner.

My opinion can’t stand now.. because I’m in the "jealous" mode right now! To see all of your choices!
Man I made a price for a fi21 last summer, several options pretty much needed for me and it was like 91K, no doubt the 23 bump the 100K.
Damnit exchange rates! anyways couldn’t take an Fi cause the lake is restricted 4 999pounds.

Like D said DEMO. It’s the best advice
Go in every dealer near by (because dealer proximity and experience is your number 1 concern)
Take a top3 that fit your needs and budget and demo them. That’s the only way you gonna see wich one is the best for you.
Old     (Norm02)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-20-2018, 7:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Agreed.
What’s sad it’s just that everybody rep his brand like it’s the best. (And me too I’m part of that).

Agreed with «*every boat can surf well*» these times it’s just a matter of preferences. All 100K boat will do the job. Preferences will do the rest (if you prefer surfing, boarding, comfort)
Every brand have their pos and cons.

But in the other side it’s thrue for surfing my top3 is Supra, centurion, Nautique.
Boarding is a different list, Styling too, etc.

I think we kind of forgot the main thread haha. Wich is a good all around first time towboat first owner.

My opinion can’t stand now.. because I’m in the "jealous" mode right now! To see all of your choices!
Man I made a price for a fi21 last summer, several options pretty much needed for me and it was like 91K, no doubt the 23 bump the 100K.
Damnit exchange rates! anyways couldn’t take an Fi cause the lake is restricted 4 999pounds.

Like D said DEMO. It’s the best advice
Go in every dealer near by (because dealer proximity and experience is your number 1 concern)
Take a top3 that fit your needs and budget and demo them. That’s the only way you gonna see wich one is the best for you.

Demo rides will happen for sure. I’m starting to think that the fewer the touch screens, back up cameras, etc the better. What’s going to happen when they quit working in 5-10 years? Will replacements be readily available?
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       02-20-2018, 7:14 PM Reply   
Seriously, if you want to stay away from a lot of tech like that, don't overlook MB if you have a dealer nearby. All of the boats talked about above are awesome and I bet you could be happy in any. For me, when I was looking at boats, I too wanted to avoid a lot of touch-screen dependent technology, cameras, etc. That may be unnecessary and all that stuff may be perfectly reliable, but I felt more confident in the long-term viability of the boat this way. Like you, I plan to keep this boat for 10+ years. FWIW, my 2016 F22 was a lot less than 100K. A lot less. It certainly isn't as fancy as a Nautique or Supra or Fi23, but it is a solidly built boat that performs great. I'd wager you could definitely get into a 2018 B52 for quite a it less than $100K. just someting to keep in mind.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-20-2018, 8:06 PM Reply   
Axis and Moomba (and MB i guess) play hard in that way. Less electronics less long term problem. It’s a deal breaker for some people for sure.

Don’t forget a boat is a boat and a boat broke sometimes. It can be a rear view camera or a solenoid. Can be some electronics like it can be some mechanical that every boat have.
Like I said it’s really a matter of personal preferences. Follow your feeling, at the end it’s gonna be your boat.
Nobody can really say oh yeah This brand is the most reliable! because 10 years ago the new thing was having a knob to fill all the ballast at the same time lol.
Touch screens and all these electronic are fairly new. Maybe reliable, maybe not. It’s a guess to take. Reliable for 5years for sure because they are guaranteed..

Last edited by Mike88; 02-20-2018 at 8:07 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Norm02)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-21-2018, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Axis and Moomba (and MB i guess) play hard in that way. Less electronics less long term problem. It’s a deal breaker for some people for sure.

Don’t forget a boat is a boat and a boat broke sometimes. It can be a rear view camera or a solenoid. Can be some electronics like it can be some mechanical that every boat have.
Like I said it’s really a matter of personal preferences. Follow your feeling, at the end it’s gonna be your boat.
Nobody can really say oh yeah This brand is the most reliable! because 10 years ago the new thing was having a knob to fill all the ballast at the same time lol.
Touch screens and all these electronic are fairly new. Maybe reliable, maybe not. It’s a guess to take. Reliable for 5years for sure because they are guaranteed..

Makes complete sense and it sucks when things break but sucks even worse when you can’t find the parts to replace the broken ones with.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-21-2018, 6:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
I know what I spent my 100k on

You don’t have a sound system at $100k though, right?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-21-2018, 7:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
You don’t have a sound system at $100k though, right?
cost was close to 100k. Ours was over 100k but not by a huge amount and that includes window tint, Samson swivel surf racks not shown in the pics and a full wetsounds system. Opted to skip on the factory stereo and save some coin going wetsounds .Here is what we are putting in. The price show is before the huge black Friday discount we got
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-21-2018, 7:24 AM Reply   
Boat did come with a head unit that I will use and six Roswell inboats and a Roswell 5 channel amp that we will remove and sell to offset the new system cost
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       02-21-2018, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
I’m within 30 minutes of Moomba/Supra, Malibu, Mastercraft, Nautique, Centurion, and Tige. Will be paying close attention to the customer reviews and that will make a difference on which store and brand I end up with. I wasn’t sure if the other brands you mentioned could be bought in the price range so I’ll check those out as well.
Look at Centurion and Tige as well....I don't know pricing on the Centurions (I'm sure they have several models within your range) but Centurion and Tige would probably net you the best surf wave for your budget (they focused on surfing before the others).

As for Tige's line check out the Z3/R23. The R23 is a Z3 hull water down and puts out one of the best surf waves on the market. The R23 can be had for well under $100k and I'm pretty sure the Z3 as well.

You MIGHT be able to slide into a left over RZX2 for your budget. Granted it's only a 22 ft boat it will have the cabin space of a 23fter...it's a big boat.....

Again, I stress that the relationship with your dealer will make or break your experience. Where I'm from the Tige dealer is amazing, quick to get your boat fixed (they all have bugs to work out), etc. The Nautique/Malibu dealership..not so much....I know more than one guy who left that dealership after buying multiple G23's, 230's, etc from them over the years because their service department went downhill quick...they had $130k boats that the dealership was taking a months+ to fix easy problems....They lost sight on the importance of customer care and instead focused solely on selling the boats....

Last edited by BurnMac42; 02-21-2018 at 8:11 AM.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-21-2018, 8:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailem View Post
huIf he is keeping it for 10 years I would be more concerned with how it will work for me than resale. I see lots of MC on the lake with a bunch of people hanging off the back trying to make a wave that is surfable.
I've got a 2004 Mastercraft X2 (original Xstar) and with a ghetto home made wake gate everyone surfs either side with no problem. Even with just my two (90-100 pound) daughters in the boat

Don't get me wrong...it isn't as great as the new surf boat wakes but it's surfing for crying out loud. We only do it after we are too tired to wakeboard or if it's too rough. Also I volunteer at camps for high schoolers and most of the time they prefer my boat over the newer ones that are there...which I only say that to say - it may not be as specifically important as we want to think it is.(how over the top excellent the surf wake is). I'm guessing they are all pretty good at this point...compared to boats from 10 years ago for surfing.

Oh and this boat has 1100 hours and still feels new compared to some friends with other brands boats with 100-200 hours and feel far more used. (hard steering, bad throttle response, etc).

Mastercraft (and I'm guessing others) has that new system that senses where the weight is in the boat (where people are sitting) and instantly adjusts the ballast to even out the wake - that is a sweet feature imo.

Just my .02...happy shopping though! Test them all out...then test them again and get the one you like the best.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-21-2018, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Makes complete sense and it sucks when things break but sucks even worse when you can’t find the parts to replace the broken ones with.
Haha yeah but pretty sure it ain’t gonna happens. What breaks the most is things that are easily replaceable. Like I said so much electronics is fairly new so we all gonna be in the same boat if computers and big screens last 6 years but broke up at the 7th!
For my experience what mostly brokes is engine components ( injectors, fuel/water pumps, sensors), mechanical (speed arm, actuators, taps), esthetic (speakers, vinyl, decals).
Sure some major issues can come too. But electronic if you take good care of it, it bugs sometime and an update solve the problem but brokes never really saw that yet.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-21-2018, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnMac42 View Post
Look at Centurion and Tige as well....I don't know pricing on the Centurions (I'm sure they have several models within your range) but Centurion and Tige would probably net you the best surf wave for your budget (they focused on surfing before the others).

As for Tige's line check out the Z3/R23. The R23 is a Z3 hull water down and puts out one of the best surf waves on the market. The R23 can be had for well under $100k and I'm pretty sure the Z3 as well.

You MIGHT be able to slide into a left over RZX2 for your budget. Granted it's only a 22 ft boat it will have the cabin space of a 23fter...it's a big boat.....

Again, I stress that the relationship with your dealer will make or break your experience. Where I'm from the Tige dealer is amazing, quick to get your boat fixed (they all have bugs to work out), etc. The Nautique/Malibu dealership..not so much....I know more than one guy who left that dealership after buying multiple G23's, 230's, etc from them over the years because their service department went downhill quick...they had $130k boats that the dealership was taking a months+ to fix easy problems....They lost sight on the importance of customer care and instead focused solely on selling the boats....
Sorry to say but a Z3 starts at 103K without the trailer man.. no doubt it’s a killer 23ft. surf boat but a little off the budget I think, Rzx2 even more I think it starts like 125K lol.. should be a pretty DAMN GOOD leftover deal.

Dealer experience is definitely a deal breaker. Here is the exact opposite haha.
Had 2 Tigé dealers in the state. One opens in 2010 and close the Tige Line 4years after. He was a Malibu dealer long before and will be for a long future too.
The other one still open, but since 2014 his numbers just keep crushed down.. take 2 months to replace a trans. Never had simple parts in stock and got to wait eternity to ship from Texas. Or even a week or 2 for a simple oil change. Few years ago anybody knows Tige round here, they had a BOOM and now we pretty don’t see them at all.. even some dealers just refuse to take them in exchange!
Sad story because seriously Tige is a good bang for the buck brand. And they are mostly on the top for surfing.

Moomba/ Nautique owns here. It’s the only dealer who have 2 branch.
And their service is just top notch. They garanteed every recall/warranty/maintains to be done in the 5 days or they loans you a boat equally valued or higher than yours.

Just to say that is really not the brand that make the boat but the dealer.

Last edited by Mike88; 02-21-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-21-2018, 1:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Sure. MC always been a top of the line product. They still are. Up here (Canada) like Eric said, everybody know MC. Centurion, Supreme, MB, Tige barely exist. But MC is still Mc.. luxurious boats at a hell of a price. Never we gonna see an XT23 at 100k sorry.. maybe if it’s nacked from options, no surf system Haha.. MasterCraft have their name. But you kind of pay for it too. And the surf wave, good very good instead but not the best. Best interior tho. But for that price it should be the best
In everything! Guess I’m US MC is less pricy or dealers are less gourmet than here.
MC is not any more Pricey than Nautique, Bu, or even Supra.

In fact, when I was shopping, a G was 10K more than the X23. You can get a well equipped XT 23 for less than 100K, my dealer has one sitting on the lot that I checked out when dropping my X23 for service last week.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-21-2018, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
MC is not any more Pricey than Nautique, Bu, or even Supra.

In fact, when I was shopping, a G was 10K more than the X23. You can get a well equipped XT 23 for less than 100K, my dealer has one sitting on the lot that I checked out when dropping my X23 for service last week.

MC is for sure more pricey than Supra. Maybe not Nautique.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-21-2018, 2:10 PM Reply   
Facts here.
MC More than Supra for sure, Bu’s 23VLX is a little bit cheaper than an X23 kind of same equipped. If your dealership always sell his boat with 12K less it’s his own business.. but it’s not like that everywhere.

Nautique maybe you’re right. But a bit septical. X23 are around 120K G23 too.
Equipped kind of same 10K look a bit big. Maybe if you took the XR7 engine instead the H6 and took the ilmor 5000 in yours 7K are there. 1 or 2 options more and you have your difference.. it’s not comparaing equally.

Few years I ain’t compared apples with apples with this 2 brand tho.
Every MC we have here are top notch boats with all options it can exist, crazy colors and always some weird special edition lol..
Every MC is a "special edition" lol. A thing these owners like to say for the price they pay I guess.
Personally don’t know anybody who have an MC for water sport. For flashing, and hooking up a party load of girls instead! Just that haha..
But that’s maybe just up here!

It’s true that G series prices grow up much since Centurion came for their entry line.
That’s a fact.

Last edited by Mike88; 02-21-2018 at 2:15 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-21-2018, 4:18 PM Reply   
Im about 2 days from pulling the trigger on a Tige R23 here in Atlanta. (Lake Lanier) the local Tige dealer is 2 miles from the house and I absolutely love the experience with him. I am getting a 2018 very well equipped for $85k OTD without trailer. Upgraded $2k Wetsounds system, upgraded $2k bimini top that holds boards, upgraded 400 Raptor motor, and top notch $2k swivel board racks. Includes the TAPS 3 surf system.

Seems like a no brainer, especially after the test ride!
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-21-2018, 9:21 PM Reply   
Quote:

The Opti V hull solves your gripes. Great surf waves, great wakeboard waves, and great ride in rough water.'

I'd look at the following;'

Centurion Fi
Tige R
Supreme 238/226
Moomba Mojo/Craz

I personally think the Fi is the best 100k wake boat on the planet right now.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-22-2018, 5:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
MC is for sure more pricey than Supra. Maybe not Nautique.
Again, this is not entirely accurate. Supra's come with a very high price tag these days especially the SE and SA. The MC X23, X26 and Xstar are boats in the MC lineup above 120K. All other models in the lineup can be every well equipped between 85-110K (excluding the NXT series).

There is a huge difference between MSRP and out the door pricing.

The G series, X star and M235 are three of the highest priced boats on the market with the M235 being the most expensive.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-22-2018, 5:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
The Opti V hull solves your gripes. Great surf waves, great wakeboard waves, and great ride in rough water.'

I'd look at the following;'

Centurion Fi
Tige R
Supreme 238/226
Moomba Mojo/Craz

I personally think the Fi is the best 100k wake boat on the planet right now.
Sorry, no........

The opti-V is still a deep v......It still has a very abrupt transition in the wakeboard wake, it still takes higher speeds to clean up, and it is still weight sensitive from side to side (for both wakeboarding and surfing). You still need to be a lot more "dialed in" on weight placement, and tab positioning, than you would with a flatter bottomed boat. It's really simple physical characteristics of the overall hull design. You aren't going to change that unavoidable drawback of a deep v.

That said, there is Nothing wrong with the hull. It is awesome for what it is designed for. It rides like a dream on chop, and It kicks out a huge wave, with less weight than a flatter bottom hull. Also, the wave shape tends to be preferred for surf style riders.

Centurion is putting out an awesome hull design, for what the market is demanding right now. However, if you are one of the few that still wakeboard more than surf, a deep v hull is never going to be the preferred choice. Opti-v, or not. The Ri257 wake is huge, but an abrupt ramp, and narrow landing zone, is never a characteristic of a "great" wakeboard wake.

Can you wakeboard it? Absolutely. Is it a pretty good wake at 22+? Absolutely.

... is it "great"? IDK.... lots of other boats right now with MUCH better wakeboard wakes.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-22-2018, 5:52 AM Reply   
Deep v ? it's now a modified V
Attached Images

Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-22-2018, 6:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Deep v ? it's now a modified V
Still a deep v, no matter if it has the mid-bend in it or not....... not to mention the fact that Centurion still calls it a deep v as well. (Because it is)

It still has far more deadrise at the back than most other wake boats, and it is still has all the same characteristics of a deep v.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-22-2018, 6:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
cost was close to 100k. Ours was over 100k but not by a huge amount and that includes window tint, Samson swivel surf racks not shown in the pics and a full wetsounds system. Opted to skip on the factory stereo and save some coin going wetsounds .Here is what we are putting in. The price show is before the huge black Friday discount we got
Wow, that's a great bang for the equipment that you are getting and will sound so much better than factory systems.

I may have to look into doing this with my next boat purchase. Is everything prewired for the speakers from the factory or do you have to do all of that yourself?
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-22-2018, 7:48 AM Reply   
Have you looked at Sanger?
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-22-2018, 12:07 PM Reply   
My demo Fi23 will be up for sale but you'd have to wait until the very end of summer Will be pretty tricked out though.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-22-2018, 12:57 PM Reply   
Have you ever actually been out on one?

My guess is you haven't.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-22-2018, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
Have you ever actually been out on one?

My guess is you haven't.
Why I should haven’t.. ? Plenty of time lol. If I would not have I would never state things like that.
Each year at the boat show I inspect all brand and models MC included lol. Even more last year when I bought mine.

Like I said earlier they pretty much are "flashing boats" (for MY opinion).
2 is on the lake an xt21 and the father of my friend who hit a great deal last summer on a 2015 x23 "special edition" all black with vinyl all red. Paid 105K for it 180hours. And it was listed 119K.
Even here in Canada dealers run on US price because they all came from there.

We both cruising around in each other boat.. so yeah I’ve been riding an X23 more then once.
And im pretty much sure saying what I think about it 3 times is enough..
Don’t get it wrong, it’s a wonderful boat. We just all have our own preferences
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-23-2018, 8:10 AM Reply   
To go back to the OP's original question, I would definitely recommend giving the Mojo or Mojo Pro a close look at under 100k. If you truly are going to own it for 10 years (which a lot of people want to initially but don't end up doing), Moomba is a brand that was built on simplicity, using proven technology, and being reliable. Not sure what altitude you're at, but the standard 6.2 400 is more than capable at sea level. Both are obviously awesome performers in surf and wake. Not to mention, as far as features go they actually compare pretty well to the MC XT series many have mentioned here, which are pricier boats. Well worth a look and a demo.
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-23-2018, 9:39 AM Reply   
We are below 1k elevation, have additional weight, and the 400 works fine in our Mojo.

When we were shopping, I found the Mojo to be a little more "finished" from an interior perspective than the A24 and NXT offerings. All of them make capable wave/wakes, though.

I find the posts in this thread difficult to read, so here is a pic.

Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-23-2018, 10:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
father of my friend who hit a great deal last summer on a 2015 x23 "special edition" all black with vinyl all red. Paid 105K for it 180hours. And it was listed 119K.

The only special edition X23 is the Surf Edition and the Surf Edition only comes with tan and mocha colored seats, deckadence flooring, and different real platform. There is no red vinyl special edition X23 from the factory.

A lot of companies offer surf edition boats.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-23-2018, 2:02 PM Reply   
Maybe, I’m just repeating what’s they said lol. I’m not judging anybody. Maybe he talked crap, maybe the dealer talked crap. Not my business lol
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-23-2018, 11:34 PM Reply   
Just gong to elaborate on some stuff on Tige’s, a brand new well equipped Z3 can be had for 99k if your dealer is willing to work with you, or you’re willing to shop around. Heck my 16 rzx wasn’t much more than that.

Eveyone will go on about what’s best but I’d go demo a few different boats and do some shopping.. My top boats to take a look at would be fi23, Z3, 230, used rzx and ri’s. Keep an eye on onlyinboards and mark down what you like.
Old     (gdmatson)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-25-2018, 4:15 PM Reply   
+1 on a Centurion Fi23. Absolutely gorgeous boat in person and amazing on the water. Not sure where your located, but there is one at the Detroit boat show with a boat show price of 99k pretty loaded up. Good luck in your search!
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       02-25-2018, 11:32 PM Reply   
Another FI23 vote! Nothing matches the Centurions in waves right now. Careful option selection can easily get you just under your 100k target.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-26-2018, 10:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
Nothing matches the Centurions in waves right now.
Lol. This is a ridiculous statement.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-26-2018, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Lol. This is a ridiculous statement.
Centurion has always been at the top of the wakesurf world and drove this segment for years. Malibu gets some credit for inventing surf gates. Now most manufacturers make a good surf boat with extra credit going to Supra, Nautique, and Tige. Still for a straight up surf experience Centurion still sits at the top of the heap. The Ri waves are crazy good and extremely tun-able. The Fi wave is pretty much the same.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-26-2018, 11:36 AM Reply   
I agree nothing matches fineline for surf wakes right now or ever. Everybody else has been playing catch up

Last edited by h20king; 02-26-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-26-2018, 12:20 PM Reply   
been that way for years. Centurion will be near the top of my list when I upgrade. add some CC quality and finish, got a winner
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-26-2018, 2:28 PM Reply   
Exactly like Nacho said.
I always been a Nautique fan since NSS surf system (always prefered it over Surf gate).
Nautique fits and finish is irreproachable.
I always thinked good things about centurion, they was raw surf beast but since correct craft gain both Centurion/Supreme That CC touch was the only thing it missed to have a top of the line towboat.
In 2016 they done it. Ri series came out and redefine whats a real surfboat is at an aggressive price.
If my lake wasn’t weight restricted definitely I was pulling the trigger on a ri217 over another Nautique.
But for 2018 I’ve got to admit that Supra done a REALLY great job. It’s been few years now that they work on their technologies and this year they have made impressive progress and keeping a fairly good price.
Old     (Cole)      Join Date: Sep 2017       02-26-2018, 4:37 PM Reply   
I was at the 2018 Seattle boat show which is considered largest on the west coast I looked at all the major brands and really was impressed with Tige and MB. I considered the price and simplicity of the boats for what the price was. Honestly I could never see myself spendig over 100k for a tow/sports boat. I got a newer Sanger I didn’t spend 100k and it’s got plenty of power surfs good and wakeboards good enough for me and handles like a sports car! I must be old school I fell in love with the sport riding behind a brand new 2002 super air nautique back then and was blown away but at that age could never afford that boat. I look at all the new nautiques now and I’m like really..? And I see the crazy price tag. They all look pretty and I’m sure their awesome but I feel kind of sad at the same time haha...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-26-2018, 4:57 PM Reply   
Centurion or tige would be on my shortlist if surfing was the goal.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-26-2018, 8:53 PM Reply   
Right now centurion, Tige and supra seem to be totally leading the game right now. It’s time for a refresh of Nautique and Malibu, they totally changed the market but the other guys perfected it. I’m not saying these brands are bad but at a professional level they are starting to fall behind.
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       02-26-2018, 9:29 PM Reply   
I think you need to ask yourself if you really want to spend every penny of that <100K budget or if you'd like to keep $15 - $20K of that in your pocket. I think you've gotten some very good options in either case.
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-26-2018, 10:21 PM Reply   
I would demo an Axis A24
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-27-2018, 7:30 AM Reply   
Agreed with Cole haha.. we all love boats but price tags are so abusive it’s crazy.. in the other hand we don’t really have the choice to follow it -.-

And like Reid said it’s true that Malibu definitely need some huge refresh exactly like Nautique. These 2 brands are legends, always been on the top. but legends are getting old compare to the new school kids getting mature haha.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-27-2018, 8:11 AM Reply   
Here’s an ri237 for 100usd
http://extremeboatsports.com/product...rion-ri-237-2/
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-27-2018, 8:41 AM Reply   
To return on what we saying above.
When you think about that. Nautique did a pretty awesome move to top the line, adding Centution/Supreme to their line-up.
A G23 still a G23 and correct craft preferred invest somewhere else and keep their "legend" instead redefined them.
So yeah Nautique may be need a tune up but in the other hand I think the future gonna be Nautique more luxury conservative and if you want a towboat sport monster CC redirect you on Centurion.
Like pretty much all brand have their econo/luxury brand.
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       02-27-2018, 6:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Not all boats surf well it's just fact. Top three surf boats on the left coast are Nautique, Centurion and supra.
I would li me to see your documentation for this statement....I'll wait..lol
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-27-2018, 8:43 PM Reply   
Winter is almost over!
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-28-2018, 4:45 AM Reply   
Hahaha yeah!
That’s Why we’re so emotional in all post lol. Let the f*cking season begin and wakeworld become a great peaceful forum again haha.

Thing is, that’s a fact.. all boat surf well. Even very well (obviously when you pay f*ching 100K it rather be lol)
Remember when I was wakesurfing behind the BRP seadoo challenger. Damn after that every boat surf like

Like is always said. Choose the dealer not the brand.
Every brand will be perfect for our needs. But not every dealer gonna be perfect when it comes to maintenance,
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-28-2018, 5:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeWise View Post
I would li me to see your documentation for this statement....I'll wait..lol
you don't need stats. Search the wake surf forums most people serious about wake surfing buy nautique, supra and Centurion. The demographic has changed. At one time all you would see in my area is Malibu now it's supra nautique and Centurion. I love the supra I prefer the lip of the centurion wake over the supra but the supra is no slouch and is my second favorite wake right now. We went back and forth this boat purchase but was not willing to switch dealers. When ranking boats it really comes down to PRIORITIES They are different for all of us. Every boat has some compromises
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-28-2018, 6:53 AM Reply   
Forums=facts very rarely. Forums=opinions almost always.
Your area doesn’t represent national trends almost certainly. If you’re talking about the left coast, I have a great friend in central CA who said his area is dominated by Malibu and Supra hardly exists. So that doesn’t compute? Even though I own Supra, other brands are sweet AF. The new 24MXZ/A24 is rumored to throw a killer wave—from cruddy old Malibu? Bottom line is there is no brand dominating the surf realm—and sales wise, Malibu crushes all other brands if I am not mistaken. You chose Centurion, but it’s no better on average than any other brand’s latest and greatest dialed surf beast. No matter how much you’re in love with your Fi. It’s an awesome boat for sure, but nothing special anymore. They’re all special.

Like I said before, based on sheer mass, a slammed Ri257 is in another category. Like I am talking 7000# of ballast. But nobody does that much—a stock Ri257 doesn’t dominate the big boats from other brands. It’s excellent but not dominant.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-28-2018, 7:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Forums=facts very rarely. Forums=opinions almost always.
Your area doesn’t represent national trends almost certainly. If you’re talking about the left coast, I have a great friend in central CA who said his area is dominated by Malibu and Supra hardly exists. So that doesn’t compute? Even though I own Supra, other brands are sweet AF. The new 24MXZ/A24 is rumored to throw a killer wave—from cruddy old Malibu? Bottom line is there is no brand dominating the surf realm—and sales wise, Malibu crushes all other brands if I am not mistaken. You chose Centurion, but it’s no better on average than any other brand’s latest and greatest dialed surf beast. No matter how much you’re in love with your Fi. It’s an awesome boat for sure, but nothing special anymore. They’re all special.

Like I said before, based on sheer mass, a slammed Ri257 is in another category. Like I am talking 7000# of ballast. But nobody does that much—a stock Ri257 doesn’t dominate the big boats from other brands. It’s excellent but not dominant.
+1
They're all great boats these days. Some do some things a little better than others - cleaner wakeboard wake at slow speeds, better rough water handling, more adjustable surf wake,..... but they're all unreal boats and we're splitting hairs.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-28-2018, 9:15 AM Reply   
Personally? I would never buy a brand new boat if I was looking for bang for buck at certain price point. $100k in the used boat realm can damn near get you anything. I saw an Ri257 on OI a couple weeks ago for 108K. There’s a 2016 SE asking 90 with like 30 hours in it or something ridiculously low.