Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    freefly70            01-16-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Curious what the REAL differences is between the 05 V Ride and 05 VLX and older. I think in 06 they changed the VLX hull design. Also what you guys think would be a good price on an 05 V Ride with typical set up of ballast, wedge, tower, board racks, and bimini no speakers or lights? From wakeboard camp with 300 hours They also have an 03 X2 loaded with all that plus lights and tower speakers at about 34k also with 300hrs. Thanks for any info I have to move on one of them soon.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-16-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
The biggest dif. is in 05 they changed the hull design. So its the hull design, some of the "bling" like more crome on the vlx (cup holder and stuff).
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       01-16-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
for 06 the VLX has integrated cruise control, 3 ballast tanks standard, illusion tower, different stain resistant carpet.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-16-2006, 10:18 PM Reply   
The '06 VRide also has electronic throttle with Malibu cruise control, center ballast, and Illusion tower standard.

The rear ballast tanks are an $500 option (or something like that). The berber carpet is like a $100 upgrade.

The '05 VLX vs. '05 VRide is very similar to the '06 VLX vs. '06 VRide. The VLX has a wider beam, can be upgraded with a bow tank, has a much snazzier exterior, and a slightly snazzier interior. The VLX wake is wider and folks like to debate about which they prefer.

For me it came down to the fact that at almost 100" wide, I could not fit a VLX in my boat slip without a lift. My only choice was the V-Ride (or another small tournament boat). Most folks can't even tell the difference. However, I would have gotten the VLX if I had the room, because the extra bling on the exterior is pretty sweet.
Old    killen1970            01-17-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
ooops

(Message edited by killen1970 on January 17, 2006)
Old    freefly70            01-17-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
After further consideration I need the smaller beam as well to get it in the garage. Looks like I am down to a V Ride or a X2. What do you guys think about comparing those two boats. The V Ride I can get for about 37K out the door and is and 05. The 03 X2 has all the same features as the V but has tower speakers and lights with same amount of hours and can get it for 34K out the door. Thanks for any help.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       01-17-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
the carpet on the '06 isn't just more stain resistant, it's also a lot softer, thicker.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-17-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
I too was down to an X-2/X-1 or a V-Ride. For me, they are very similar. The X-2/X-1 is slightly smaller and at the time the Mastercraft dealer wasn't willing to deal as much as the Malibu dealer. That was because the X-1 was brand new and all hot. A few months later and now they are offering all kinds of deals on the X-1 to sell them at the boat show.

For me, it just came down to the dealer because the boats are so similar. In your case, you are looking at a new (or barely used) boat versus a three year old boat. There's a lot more to consider, such as the condition of the boat and how much you want to spend.
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-17-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
after you get in a vride and then a vlx you will want the vlx. negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. and get the vlx, you won't be sorry
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-17-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
Yeah, but like we both said, the new VLX has a beam that is too wide for our needs.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       01-19-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
by "too wide for our needs" to you mean it won't fit somewhere? I had the same problem, nothing a concrete saw couldn't fix!
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-19-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
It is only 4.5 inches wider.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-19-2006, 11:49 PM Reply   
Best bet is to demo all the ones you are looking at, AND ride behind them. I am sure you know this already, but many times that makes all the difference.

Good luck.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Yes, but that 4.5 inches is the difference between the rubrails being clear of my dock and the rubrails resting against my dock. I'll get a lift eventually, but didn't want to be forced to fork over $5K or more for a lift on top of the premium for the VLX. In the case of Beer Top, he's got a garage to fit into. Somehow I don't think he's interested in buying a bigger house just to accomodate a VLX.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       01-20-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
Our VLX didn't fit in the boat garage, like I said above, nothing a concrete saw didn't take care of! Just make the door opening bigger, we ended up having to redo the sliding doors, but they were rotting anyway, so no biggie there.

Sounds like your stuck with the Vride or something similar from another company. Ride any you are considering, I thought I really wanted a 211 and even thought about waiting for the 220. I rode and drove the 211 and then the VLX, my decision was very easy after that, went with the VLX. It's a lot of personal preference, pricing and how close to a good dealer you are.

Most of the dealers I've talked to are happy to take you out for a drive/ride, free pulls, how can you go wrong?