Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-15-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
I am thinking about getting a 2004 Calabria Cal Air Pro V loaded out with every option.
I want to get some feedback on the Wake , Handling, Ride, Fit and Finish and any other thing you guys can think of. Please try and compare the shape and size of the wake with another boat.
I will take a look at them at the boat show but I wanted to get some Owner and Rider feedback. I also dont have a dealer close so I can not take a test drive any time soon.

Just for reference : I am not buying this boat only for wakeboarding. I have a 3 young kids and a wife and other friends that are not hardcore wakeboarders. So the wake doen't have to compare with the top Wakeboats. But I do want something that produces a nice wake.

Please do not respond back with any comments about other boats. I have seen them all and have ridden behind just about all kinds and styles of WakeBoats. All except for the Calabria!! So please only thoughts from people who have ridden behind or driven a Cal Air Pro V.

JOSH I will be calling you to find out how you liked yours.

Thanks All
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-15-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
EW - I don't know much more than the boat show garb that I hear every year. There is a dealer down here in SD and I'm pretty sure they do plenty of demo's. A Demo is manditory IMO.

Hipp Marine
4070 Kearny Mesa Rd.
San Diego CA 92111
858-541-2960
www.hippmarine.com
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-15-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Thanks.
I went on Calabria's website and looked under dealer search and nothing came up under the san diego zip code I used
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-15-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
the pros:

with extra ballast, the wake is real nice.

the interior's real nice...super roomy w/ lots of storage space.

it drives nice, as well as other "good" v-drives out there.

the cons:

stupid double hinges on the seats could make for quite an adventure when putting boards in the racks.

the back cover for the storage opens the opposite way. i have no idea why calabria does this, but it's ridiculous...it's difficult for anyone in the boat to open it.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-15-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
Edoub, I had a Pro V I sold last summer. I have not ridden in a boat with as much room as the Pro V. With the pure vert full the wake was good, good enough for some of the guys in my little crew to land way out in the flats. I loved everything about the boat but I did have one problem that kinda drove me nuts. When the boat would get up to around 33-34 or over it would start to bounce up and down. Other then that, I would buy another one in a heart beat. I never went to any lake withough someone comming up to me and saying, holy crap dude, what kinf od boat is that! You can email me with any other questions
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-15-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
Dan,
Let me know on the other boat as soon as you know because I still want that one first!!!!!!

Thanks
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-15-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
We are on our second Calabria. First was a direct drive and have had a Pro-V for a couple of years now.
As Joe said the side seats can be a little tricky. You can adjust the stop out and it will prevent the seat from doing what he discribes. The covers in my opinion open the correct way. This allows you to access the storage compartments while the boat is on the trailer. I did however add a strap to mine the first day I bought it. I can see where they would be difficult to open without it. I suggested it to Calabria but they have yet to add it to the line up.
Not a fan of going over 30 mph. See no reason to and it just wastes gas. If the boat porpouses then the cavitation plate needs to be adjusted down. The best set up I have found is to have it adjusted down 1/4".

I would compare the wake to an older X-2. No complaints here.

There are a couple areas that people go wrong with the boat. First they weight the back. Even though there are two large compartments the boat likes to be weighted in the middle. Second it is a big boat. Although it drives nice it will tend to cavitate if you make tight turns over 20 or so MPH. Fix don't turn so tight or slow down if making a tight turn.

Feel free to email me with questions.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-15-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
Will do, this week for sure
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-16-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
My buddy has a 2000 Calabria direct drive. A few general observations:

1. Fit and finish are top notch
2. Very solid ride...well built
3. Wake on his boat is nice, no wash.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-16-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
I like the boat, they are huge inside! the wake is decent when properly weighted. Kinda like a M-Craft X-2 but a lot wider. Overall I really like em. I think they are pretty damn expensive but a in general a good boat.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-16-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Lotsa room inside the boat and lotsa storage. Rides great. Fit and finish is top notch. A perfect boat for the family. Nine in mine and we all fit with room to spare.

Wake is more than enough for most, adding weight will increase size and maintain shape. A little wide with long ramp.

The 315hp engine is a little underpowered for the boat. But a simple reprop is the fix.

For the money I believe they are unbeatable.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   

quote:

For the money I believe they are unbeatable.

they're definitely beatable, but this is neither the time, nor the place.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-16-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
Sydwayz,
What prop do you have on it? Pitch and size?
Thanks

Everybody else thanks for your input.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-17-2006, 1:22 AM Reply   
E,
I have never had the opportunity to ride in or behind a Calabria, but I thought you might like to hear about an experience at the dealership in San Diego.

I went to Hip Marine a few years ago when I was in the market for a boat; that was some of the worst customer service (or lack there of) I have ever seen.

I spoke to someone on the phone and told them I was interested in their boats. I told them I was interested in a demo and the person told me they would be happy to give me one. I followed the phone call with a visit to the dealership the next day (Yucaipa to S.D. is not exactly short). When I arrived, I stood in their showroom for "10" minutes before anyone came to talk to me. It was the person I had spoken to on the phone; I advised him of who I was and where I had driven from. Only minutes into our conversation he excused himself (said he would be right back) and proceded to leave me hanging for another "10" minutes. When he finally came back he had the nerve to do it to me again, and I had the stupidity to wait (I wouldn't have if I hadn't come all that way). When he came back the second time he gave me the final blow-off by telling me that they don't give demos. He even tried to tell me that no boat dealerships/manufacturers do. I told him I had already driven and "riden behind" 3 other major competitors' boats which caused him to just smirk at me. What a complete #*@%+!!!

Needless to say someone else got my business.

I don't know if you will have the pleasure of dealing with someone like that or not, but just beware. Good luck with hunting for a new ride.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-17-2006, 1:29 AM Reply   
Sean,
What are you doing up this late!!! What I am doing up ths late??????? Poker night for me Just got home!!!

Thanks for the info on Hipp!!! I have heard that from a number of others as well. Luckily I do all of my own maintainence of my boats so I would not need them for anythingother than parts and I can order parts out of another dealership if needed.
Thanks and how is your knee doing?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-17-2006, 3:52 AM Reply   
13 1/2 X 16
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
I think they are crap. There is more to a boat than just the amount of room that they have.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-17-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
I have a Pro V and I'm pretty happy with it. Had to figure out the porpoising problem like Daniel P. says. It's an awesome boat "FOR ME". Remember that everyones got an opinion so you'll hear alot. Test drive/ride behind one and form your own opinion. If I ever upgrade I definitely wouldn't overlook this boat.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-17-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
my experience with the pro-v is that it lists pretty hard. but of course that is fixed with some peeps or pop bags.

wake is pretty good stock, but needs to be double the size.

if you do get one, UPGRADE THE MOTOR.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-18-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
kewl to hear you still looking for a new boat.
What happnened to the Moomba deal?? Anyways
I have heard great things from a few owners that I know. Actually Tyler from Wakesports have a Cal-V. Maybe hit him up for some info.
Will be anxiously waiting for a pull behind what ever new ride you get.. hint hint..
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-18-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Hey Eric,

My 4 month old son has my circadian rhythm all shot to hell.

The knee is great thank you. I have been riding, just don't have much time/or many opportunities to right now.