Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-18-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
So I was working on my car this weekend and burned by forearm pretty bad on the exhaust manifold. It's deep enough that I can't even feel my arm there because there are no pain receptors in the skin (no skin) left. It's about 2 layers deeper than a sunburn that peels off. The pic is from aSunday, so it has gotten a little better, but not much.
We're going out today in river that's not terrible, but not known for being the cleanest.
What is something I can pick up at walgreens, walmart, etc. That will cover it and keep it dry while riding?
I'm only going to surf, and while I can platform start and stop without getting wet, I don't want to take the chance of me falling, nasty stuff getting in the wound, and my arm falling off.
I was thinking if all else fails, wrap it up in saran wrap and duct tape it. But I'm sure there's a better actual option out there I'm just not aware of.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-18-2016, 9:49 AM Reply   
I scraped the side of my shin off during a fall downhill mountain biking in Colorado, and went surfing the next day without anything covering it. It was a bunch of nice raw skin also, and I never got an infection. I cleaned it pretty good with soap and water when I was done surfing to kill bacteria. Granted, this was a mountain lake, and you could probably drink it if you wanted to, but I'm sure it was still littered with fish crap, deer/elk/bear/wolf/and whatever else poop/piss bacteria. I'd say go for it man.... YOLO MOTHA FUGGA!!!
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-18-2016, 10:53 AM Reply   
Just bring some iodine with you and apply after you ride. "should" be fine
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-18-2016, 11:11 AM Reply   
plastic bandage that thing.
https://www.medicalmega.com/medical/...x7_xoCCyPw_wcB
YOLO is right. but YOLO without some fecal based infection in your skin is better
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-18-2016, 11:40 AM Reply   
As much as I would just "YOLO" normally, the Columbia/Willamette oddly the cleanest. We have ecoli and algae bloom warnings to not go in the water almost every year. There's none right now and I have no problem getting in most of the time, even with minor cuts and scrapes. Hell, if I didn't get in unless I didn't have some kind of wound, I'd never get in, blue collar job and all. this is just a bigger/deeper one than I'd ever ridden in. Most of the time I leave that kind of stuff uncovered unless actively bleeding and I'm fine.
I stopped by Wally's and lucked out.
I picked this stuff up, oversized waterproof bandages, shower protector film, and waterproof tape.

I put on one of the bandages to replace my gauze and electrical tape bandage I made this morning. I'll wear it all day at work. If it's fine until I get to the ramp, I'll leave it and just go with that. If not, I'll put a new one on, put the shower protector over it, and tape it up.
Seems legit so far though.

Last edited by phathom; 05-18-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-18-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
Oversized is right... holy ****!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-18-2016, 2:04 PM Reply   
Ya, for some reason it got posted as full size and not scaled. I tried to edit it, but the 10 minute window on edits was already up. Now we have to live with this monstrosity.