Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Collegiate Wakesports

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-21-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
I want to go to a college with a serious wakeboard club. I dont want to go to a college that has a huge ski club and ski boat with a sub-wakeboard club. What colleges out there offer wakeboarding as a main club and have a pro type boat set up? I live in Louisiana and am thinking of Tulane (has a malibu VLX), univ. of Texas, Texas A&M, Univ. of Florida, and possibly some cali schools if they offer engineering. Thanks for your help.
Old                06-23-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
We have a ski club at A&M, not a wakeboard club. We are trying to change things up a bit, but currently that's how it is. However, we wakeboarders do dominate the scene out here, and so it can get pretty fun! Check out www.tamuwaterski.com for more information. :-)
Old     (wakewilly)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-23-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
As far as wakeboarding goes, I'm in the process of founding a wakeboarding/ski club here at CU. From all the feedback that I've had from other students, most are wakeboarders than skiers so it looks like it's going to be a prodominent wakeboard club/team. We will be traveling nationally to compete. I've been talkin to the local mastercraft dealer and Malibu dealer and both are willing to help us out with a boat. I know for the malibu side, we're lookin at the wakesetter xti.
As for CU at Boulder overall, it's an awesome school for engineering. I'm actually a MCEN (mechanical engineer) and came to the school from california for engineering. As far as the wakeboard club goes, it's up and comming and the talent is huge at this school, so we should have an awesome wakeboarding team in this next year or two. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
peace,

Chris Williams
prez of CU wakeboard/waterski team
Old    atom_ant            06-28-2004, 9:14 PM Reply   
Leo, I've rode with the U.F. wakeboard team and they're pretty hardcore. I know Joel Cahill is sponsored by C.W.B. and there's a lot of other great riders. They told me that the university boat isn't the one the use the most because there's only certain times they can use it so it's really just the people in the club that make it serious, not neccesarily the university's boat. I'm going to Central Florida. I don't know much about their team but I know there is plenty of wakeboarding going on down there.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-08-2004, 9:02 PM Reply   
Thanks Austin. Yea, I will probably have a good boat by that time and will be really serious. If I can find others who are just as serious it will reallly help.
Old    atom_ant            07-12-2004, 5:36 PM Reply   
Let me know if you pick U.F., I live about 30 min. away on Kingsley Lake so when I'm home from college we could ride. I'm always looking for decent riders to load up with.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-13-2004, 9:36 PM Reply   
sure austin...i might be going to look at the school soon. If you are willing to give a pull that weekend i will go and help pay for gas and clean up
Old                07-14-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
Yeah we have a Bad A.. club at A&M.. you should try it out..
Old     (mosdefn14)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
whats the policy at a&m about giving rides to people coming down for college days? :-) do yall ride in the winter too? we're allowed as many "college visits" as we feed needed...
Old     (greendude84)      Join Date: May 2003       07-22-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
At Cal Poly San Luis Obispo the lake is 20 mins away we have the largest collegic Wakeboard Club in the country (at 350) and we were featured in an article in Wakeboard magazine and some other magazine whos name I cannot remember. We ride every Sat. have parties at least once a week, great weather, and in the winter we become the Wakeboard with some snowboarding also club.
CPWBC rules all other clubs.
Old     (greendude84)      Join Date: May 2003       07-22-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
PS Cal Poly has an awesome ENGR school!!!
Old    atom_ant            08-13-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
leo, let me know when you're coming and if I'm in town we can definitley ride.
Old                08-14-2004, 3:44 AM Reply   
Go to ASU...#1 Collegiate Wakeboarding program...soon to be #1 ranked in WWA...watch us at Nationals
Old                02-17-2005, 10:01 PM Reply   
how old are you leo
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-26-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
UF info:

right now the school has a VLX

The club is planning on getting a Tige, with sponsorships from monster tower and JL audio.

I was there a year ago, i had my boat there (02 wakesetter lxi) and my buddy had his there too (98 sunsetter lx) I have heard one new guy has a sunsetter there now too.

some of the folks drive down to orlando to ride on one of the guys super air on a regular basis.

The club is stronger when there are more active participants so make sure to get involved.

as for name dropping scott hopkins is a UF student and very active in the club.

and for reference i was at UF for engineering grad school. the school is pretty good.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2005, 5:52 PM Reply   
Matt Brown, do I know you? CPWBC in da house! Our club is okay. The key is to get in good with the boat drivers. I second everything you said. You going on the Powell trip over Spring Break? <---See we kick ass!!!

http://wakeupcp.com/home/home.htm

(Message edited by Stephan on March 02, 2005)
Old                03-08-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
leo where are you from, how old are you and when do you plan on going to collage
Old                09-06-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
If you're looking for a good program check our LBSU wakeboard team (www.ridelbsu.com). We've got our s*** together and we have huge support from our school and our sponsors. We get a new Cal Air Pro-V every year and we're hosting one of the first west coast collegiate wakeboard tournaments this october sponsored by Calabria, Watersports Warehouse, CWB, Big Ass Wake, One West Clothing, Jet Pilot, Fly High Fat Sacks and more coming every day...
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-13-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
University of Tennessee Waterski and Wakeboard club. We're sponsored by Mastercraft, get a new, customized 197 every year. Helps that John Dorton was on the team when he was in college. Ride nearly every day, we'll be down at nationals
Old                10-17-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
while all these sound good, im tryin to pick between ASU and LBSU...anyone wanna help me out here?!?!?!
Old                10-17-2005, 6:09 PM Reply   
LBSU
Old     (wildbill)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-17-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
i dont know where those two schools are, but the University of Texas has a pretty good club.
We're sponsored by liquid force, hyperlite, cwb i believe, billabong, roxy, and possibly a few others. our boat isnt TOP notch, but it gets the job done. i believe its a 01 ski natique, and its on the water everyday.
Old                11-11-2005, 5:01 AM Reply   
At the university of Texas do you guys get boards bindings boats and everything else or just money to go buy it?
Old     (prestone)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-23-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
ksu- one of the top engineering schools in the nation, and i just brought up my 210 super air.

aslo ku has a seriuos club with a pimped tige
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-24-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
nice work getting the 210 up there! Nick's gotta be excited. Plus I hear Jarrod is buiding a tower for his boat.

Water's gonna be warm soon!!!