Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (srich5)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-24-2017, 10:04 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any experience towing a Malibu 247? I will be towing about 150 miles each way to my favorite lake. I have a 2016 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. It is rated to like 11k pounds but I want to make sure I wont have any problems with this big of a boat.

Thanks!
Old     (kdm)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-24-2017, 11:12 AM Reply   
You should be ok with a F-150. I pull mine with an excursion and I have no issues. Pulling it is not really the concern, but stopping it in an emergency. They are a heavy boat.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-25-2017, 6:55 PM Reply   
If a dozen zombies jump in your boat, your trailer may be over capacity. That's a lot of dead weight!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2017, 8:06 AM Reply   
The motor will tow it for sure easily. As others have said it is braking and everything else, but I would totally do it. Maybe a slight squat from the rear end unless you do airbags. I towed a 2016 SA ( I am sure weight is similar to your 247) with an EcoBoost last year and it was a beast. Never a single scare or time that I needed more power. Going with the long box will give you a slightly bigger foot print and more security.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-26-2017, 9:13 AM Reply   
Is this a flat 300 miles, or lots of elevation change? If it's flat, I think I would be happy with the half ton gas truck. In California, many of our lakes are in the foothills or mountains. Transmission killers.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-26-2017, 10:05 AM Reply   
You better get an F650.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-26-2017, 10:46 AM Reply   
^lol. seems like some on here would.

I agree that the EB F150 will be fine. Mine pulls my boat with ease. Again, as others have said it's more about the stopping issue and I'd agree with it. I've even looked at doing an electric over hydraulic upgrade to my trailer which would make a world of difference and is a lot cheaper than a big break kit.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-27-2017, 1:20 PM Reply   
I think you should be fine with the EB! What's the full loaded weight on trailer? 6.5-7K lbs? braking may be a concern, but I think you will notice the most in the rear suspension. I towed a roughly 6K pound outboard with my 2012 5.0 multiple times and had no complaints. We now have a roughly 8K+ boat when loaded and I now have a 250. Power was never the problem, but any bump on the highway or winds would swing my rear end all over the place on the 150 with the larger boat. Could it still be done? sure. But I didn't feel like it was doing the job well so I jumped to a 3/4 and don't regret it one bit.

About the brakes... Pretty sure on the seat of the pants-ometer my 2012 F150 had tighter brakes even when towing than my 2005 F250. But If I actually had to lock up the F250 is the one I want to be in when shtf. Just don't tailgate anyone and I don't see there being a problem

All that being said you definitely need a special order F850 Trually w/ custom gooseneck boat trailer or it's not adequate
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-27-2017, 2:31 PM Reply   
turbo is great for towing, kicks in right when you need it. as boats weigh more and more, I wouldn't mind having brakes on the other axle. electric kits are easy to add
Old     (srich5)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-27-2017, 5:26 PM Reply   
I appreciate the info guys. I think the Eco has plenty of power but that is also a lot of weight. I am leaning towards an MXZ 20 instead just because I tow it through some hilly country and also it will fit better in my garage. I don't think I need a 25 foot boat that will hold 16 people.
Old     (kdawg)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-31-2017, 7:27 AM Reply   
Definitely not a problem. I pull a 25 LSV with my 2015 Ecoboost, and that's from Denver to Lake Powell over a ton of mountain passes. With a really high altitude and super steep roads my F-150 still pulls great.